The Match II: Tiger Woods & Peyton Manning vs Phil Mickelson & Tom Brady

To be fair, if Phil hadn't done the talking that he did, there would have been about 2 hours of silence to fill.
This is true. The rain knocked out a few microphones too along the way.

And his partner asked him for help on every shot around the green.
Part of me feels like Tiger got bored halfway through.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Part of me feels like Tiger got bored halfway through.
My guess is that a 5+ hour round in the rain at a course he has played 100 times is t high on his fun list. And then he was stuck with Phil to boot.

I am not sure they can do a third The Match with Tiger and Phil next year. While I would be interested, I think it wouldn’t draw the attention for a third time.

I could see maybe they look for a couple rivals like DeChambeau vs Keopka with two other sport stars. The issue is no one is the draw of Tiger.

I am not sure they can do a third The Match with Tiger and Phil next year. While I would be interested, I think it wouldn’t draw the attention for a third time.

I could see maybe they look for a couple rivals like DeChambeau vs Keopka with two other sport stars. The issue is no one is the draw of Tiger.

I think the attention draw will be even bigger if done right like this one was. #1 was okay, and they learned a lot, including that Tiger needs some coaxing out of the shell to audience.

#2 brought in NFL legends and dominated ratings. I think we are going to see a number of these

Plus, Phil won singles, Tiger won pairings and now you at least have to do a 3rd

I think the attention draw will be even bigger if done right like this one was. #1 was okay, and they learned a lot, including that Tiger needs some coaxing out of the shell to audience.

#2 brought in NFL legends and dominated ratings. I think we are going to see a number of these

Plus, Phil won singles, Tiger won pairings and now you at least have to do a 3rd
There is no doubting Tiger’s draw and how popular the NFL is. Can they find two other players or maybe they get two foursomes to play in a team match with Tiger, Phil, and two other PGA players as player coaches. 4- two man teams. That could be really fun. Maybe play 36 holes for a two day event.

What is the next step in The Match?

There is no doubting Tiger’s draw and how popular the NFL is. Can they find two other players or maybe they get two foursomes to play in a team match with Tiger, Phil, and two other PGA players as player coaches. 4- two man teams. That could be really fun. Maybe play 36 holes for a two day event.

What is the next step in The Match?
I totally agree with 2 4somes. More content, more fun.

Pros: Tiger, Phil, JT, and any one of Rory, Brooks, Kuchar (trash talk and divisive figure)

Ams: Jordan, Curry definitely. I would love 2 wisecracking comedians that can actually play. Forget Raymond and Larry the Cable Guy. If we can’t come up with some wisecracking comedians, then maybe long drive competition players. The long haired dude that is the current champ has some personality.

I think if there is an M3 (see what I did there) then there has to be something that gets Tiger excited. And the only way I can think to do that is to bring in someone like Michael Jordan who commands respect and is competitive in everything. Pair him with Tiger and let’s see what happens. I also hope it’s on PPV so they can swear as much as they want.

As for the opponents, I think you bring back Phil and someone like Romo.

This x 100%
I would have responded yeah that's great Soo much good information, I'm going to get this close for tap in.

It was so detailed that wow I don't even know how those greens were rolling but super fast

I totally agree with 2 4somes. More content, more fun.

Pros: Tiger, Phil, JT, and any one of Rory, Brooks, Kuchar (trash talk and divisive figure)

Ams: Jordan, Curry definitely. I would love 2 wisecracking comedians that can actually play. Forget Raymond and Larry the Cable Guy. If we can’t come up with some wisecracking comedians, then maybe long drive competition players. The long haired dude that is the current champ has some personality.
Can’t bring Kuchar. He would be the only one not to agree to donate the purse to charity ;)

Do I want to see tiger vs Jordan or both on same team....🤔🤔🤔

I put some thought into the match today as I sat outside for a few minutes today. I’m so impressed with Manning and Brady - can you imagine playing a round with Tiger and Phil for millions worth dollars? Add in millions watching as an 8 handicap? I’ve played like Brady with no one watching in a tournament round and had a much less accepting reaction.

Manning was amazing at times and flew under the radar other times. Brady was off in the beginning but he came around and hit some shots before the end. I almost feel like it was a no win situation because the baseline is Tiger Woods on his home course. I’ll admit it - I was too hard on these guys in my mind and I’m glad they were there to show what “normal” golfers look like.

I'm surprised to read all the hate on Phil. He and peyton were the best part of this event. Tiger is too stiff.

If they could get MJ next year the ratings would double

Tiger vs Jordan has to happen at some point.

If they include Jordan in next year’s with Curry, it might be bigger.

This is what I want. Need to time this for the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, if Phil hadn't done the talking that he did, there would have been about 2 hours of silence to fill.

Yeah. As a viewer I thought it was interesting to actually hear how processes stuff. I really didn’t think it was there’s always that guy. I think Brady is just the type of guy that likes to be coached and Phil is ready and willing to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recorded it and ended up finishing today. I thought it was pretty good, but I wouldn’t have watched it live. Just too long. (same as PGA golf). Thought there were some good one liners in there from all the guys.

I thought it was pretty interesting to hear one of the greatest short game players in the game talking us through his thought process on the shots. If it wouldn't have made the telecast 10 hours long, I would have liked to hear him do it on every shot around the green.

JT earned some respect with an ability to use the microphone intelligently. Rich Beem has a successor.

LOL @ people on twitter brushing off the TV ratings "because it's the middle of a pandemic."

LOL @ people on twitter brushing off the TV ratings "because it's the middle of a pandemic."

When you add NFL legends to an already great golf mix, TV ratings are bound to happen. Pandemic may have helped, but this was ratings gold.

Wow. Amazing numbers, even more amazing that it beat out every major in PGA Tour history.
Sounds like it has to knock out the PGA Championship as the 4th Major. :ROFLMAO:

Back