The Mizuno Experience Contest and Live Update Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Earlier this year we announced the Mizuno Experience, where six lucky readers would be headed to Myrtle Beach for a weekend of golf, equipment and more. The time is here and just because you are not headed to True Blue and Caledonia with the group, doesn’t mean you can’t win too.

Untitled-4-1024x692.jpg

This thread will be a live update of the entire trip where two teams made up of THPers and Mizuno Golf will battle it out over 45 holes of golf to declare the winner of the first ever THP Mizuno Experience.

The TeamsTeam Vosh: Chris...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
As the calendar turns to the dog days of summer, THP & Mizuno partner together to provide an experience highlighting Mizuno goodness for it’s participants and an awesome follow for those of us tagging along on the forum.

How does this one stack up? Let’s get some odds rolling.

When & Where
July 30th-August 1st
True Blue and Caledonia
Myrtle Beach, SC

The courses on which the Mizuno Experience will be contested are both legendary Myrtle Beach tracks, True Blue & Caledonia. Same ownership, same legendary designer (Mike Strantz), and both are ranked among America’s Top 100 You Can Play by Golf Magazine. Both outstanding tests for golf, but very different layouts. Caledonia being shorter and tighter, accuracy & maybe punch out skills will be put to the test. It is super exciting that a THP Experience returns to these hallowed grounds. The finishing holes (the last 4 holes) at both courses are great, if matches get to these daunting stretches, there are swings that can be had and that's how points get stolen. The courses themselves are flat out gorgeous with a lot of great views, the participants are in for a treat.

If you want to take a closer look at the course, here is the link to the official site:

https://www.truebluegolf.com/

The Format:
Saturday- True Blue

18 Holes: Shamble Format (75% of Handicap)
9 Holes: Alternate Shot Format (50% of Handicap)

Sunday- Caledonia

I like this format, because I believe that both of these courses lend themselves to longer holed matches. Because this format has two 18 hole matches, there are 6 points available in total, 3' points wins the Mizuno Experience. If you have been around for a while, you will know that I am a huge mark for the Alternate Shot Format, and I'm glad to see its inclusion here. The participants catch a break with Alternate Shot taking place at True Blue, rather than Caledonia (Caledonia being tighter off of the tee).

The Team that is able to make a move in that 3rd nine on Saturday, is the Team that will probably win the Mizuno Experience.

The Handicaps of the Teams:

Team Vosh:

Chris Voshall (+1)

NVGOLFER80 (1.7)

JMan (7)

Jaw2000 (17)

Team Crawford:

Jeff Crawford (1.7)

Canadan (2)

Desmond (9.8)

Stryker (12)

For the first time since The Distance Powered by Srixon Experience in 2019, the combined handicaps of the two teams are in the single digits. From an aggerate handicap standpoint this is the closest and lowest spread between two teams in a THP Experience that I have seen. Team Vosh holding a slight advantage in combined handicap (6.2 to 6.4) over Team Crawford. Pairing options shouldn’t be hard for the Captains, as the teams are balanced and evenly matched.

I like Team Crawford’s options slightly better in Alternate Shot, and with this format if one team can win the 2 point available in the Alternate Shot stanza, it could cruise to a win. Pops are normally a great equalizer, but with the make up of the teams, there just aren’t many to be had. Also, there are 2 rookies in the mix here for Team Vosh (Jaw2000 & NVGOLFER80), and there is always a question on how well their handicaps will travel & how well that they will handle THP Experience pressure.

Other things to watch:

Canadan is taking lessons and is playing so erratically that he has been soft capped by the GHIN system. Listen to his podcast and you would think that his game is in absolute shambles.

It wasn’t like JMan was putting on a total stripe show when we last saw him in the Tech Studio taking cuts on THP Live, where is his game at?

NVGOLFER80 makes his THP event debut, 2nd lowest handicap on his team, there will be no place to hide if he get a bad case of nerves out of the gate. How long will it take for him to settle in?

Team Vosh has the best golfer in the whole event, in Chris Voshall, 75% of +1 is still on the plus side of the equation. He might have to Anchor Down and carry some water, can he get it done?

Jeff Crawford has a 1.7, but has only posted 6 rounds all year. Is there a bunch of rust that needs to be knocked off?

Stryker’s last event was the 2018 Morgan Cup, and at that time he was a 20 and admittedly that didn’t go great for the home team. He arrives at this event 8 strokes better as a 12, WOW!!! Will that last experience at Hammock Beach serve him well in his quest for redemption?

Desmond should be a steady hand, but you never know about a guy in a bucket hat.

Welcome to a THP Experience, Jaw2000, and oh by the way you are the highest cap in the entire event. Good Luck.

Opening Odds:

This one is really tough to put a number on, because the two teams are even on paper and both have question marks. With that being said, I always value THP Event Experience when looking for edges. Team Crawford has more experience on it’s side of the equation & I like their make up for Alternate Shot a bit better. Team Crawford will open as the favorite, and the THP Universe loves picking Canadan, so I’m going to extract some extra juice at the opening, because I can get it.

Opening Team Odds of Winning the 2021 Mizuno Experience:
Team Crawford -155
Team Vosh +180

Updated Odds (7/27/21):
Team Vosh -110
Team Crawford +130

Updated Odds (7/29/21):
Team Vosh -165
Team Crawford +190

Last edited:
Sweet!!!!!! I"m going Team VOSH. Canadan has me nervous he's taking lessons and such who knows what shape his swing is in or how much he's trusting it!

Everyone loves an underdog! Especially an underdog with the best golfer. Give me Team Vosh!

Another one for Team Vosh!

Team Vosh.

I've got to go with Team Crawford. @Canadan will find his game. After all, you don't have to hit a lot of good shots, you just have to hit those good shots at the right time, especially in alternate shot. I think the rookies will have a tough time settling in since they've never had a THP Golf Experience before. ;)

As the calendar turns to the dog days of summer, THP & Mizuno partner together to provide an experience highlighting Mizuno goodness for it’s participants and an awesome follow for those of us tagging along on the forum.

How does this one stack up? Let’s get some odds rolling.

When & Where
July 30th-August 1st
True Blue and Caledonia
Myrtle Beach, SC

The courses on which the Mizuno Experience will be contested are both legendary Myrtle Beach tracks, True Blue & Caledonia. Same ownership, same legendary designer (Mike Strantz), and both are ranked among America’s Top 100 You Can Play by Golf Magazine. Both outstanding tests for golf, but very different layouts. Caledonia being shorter and tighter, accuracy & maybe punch out skills will be put to the test. It is super exciting that a THP Experience returns to these hallowed grounds. The finishing holes (the last 4 holes) at both courses are great, if matches get to these daunting stretches, there are swings that can be had and that's how points get stolen. The courses themselves are flat out gorgeous with a lot of great views, the participants are in for a treat.

If you want to take a closer look at the course, here is the link to the official site:

https://www.truebluegolf.com/

The Format:
Saturday- True Blue

9 Holes: Alternate Shot Format (50% of Handicap)

Sunday- Caledonia

I like this format, because I believe that both of these courses lend themselves to longer holed matches. Because this format has two 18 hole matches, there are 6 points available in total, 3' points wins the Mizuno Experience. If you have been around for a while, you will know that I am a huge mark for the Alternate Shot Format, and I'm glad to see its inclusion here. The participants catch a break with Alternate Shot taking place at True Blue, rather than Caledonia (Caledonia being tighter off of the tee).

The Team that is able to make a move in that 3rd nine on Saturday, is the Team that will probably win the Mizuno Experience.

The Handicaps of the Teams:

Team Vosh:

Chris Voshall (+1)

NVGOLFER80 (1.7)

JMan (9)

Jaw2000 (17)

Team Crawford:

Jeff Crawford (1.7)

Canadan (2)

Desmond (9.8)

Stryker (12)

For the first time since The Distance Powered by Srixon Experience in 2019, the combined handicaps of the two teams are in the single digits. From an aggerate handicap standpoint this is the closest and lowest spread between two teams in a THP Experience that I have seen. Team Crawford holding a slight advantage in combined handicap (6.4 to 6.7) over Team Vosh. Pairing options shouldn’t be hard for the Captains, as the teams are balanced and evenly matched.

I like Team Crawford’s options slightly better in Alternate Shot, and with this format if one team can win the 2 point available in the Alternate Shot stanza, it could cruise to a win. Pops are normally a great equalizer, but with the make up of the teams, there just aren’t many to be had. Also, there are 2 rookies in the mix here for Team Vosh (Jaw2000 & NVGOLFER80), and there is always a question on how well their handicaps will travel & how well that they will handle THP Experience pressure.

Other things to watch:

Canadan is taking lessons and is playing so erratically that he has been soft capped by the GHIN system. Listen to his podcast and you would think that his game is in absolute shambles.

It wasn’t like JMan was putting on a total stripe show when we last saw him in the Tech Studio taking cuts on THP Live, where is his game at?

NVGOLFER80 makes his THP event debut, 2nd lowest handicap on his team, there will be no place to hide if he get a bad case of nerves out of the gate. How long will it take for him to settle in?

Team Vosh has the best golfer in the whole event, in Chris Voshall, 75% of +1 is still on the plus side of the equation. He might have to Anchor Down and carry some water, can he get it done?

Jeff Crawford has a 1.7, but has only posted 6 rounds all year. Is there a bunch of rust that needs to be knocked off?

Stryker’s last event was the 2018 Morgan Cup, and at that time he was a 20 and admittedly that didn’t go great for the home team. He arrives at this event 8 strokes better as a 12, WOW!!! Will that last experience at Hammock Beach serve him well in his quest for redemption?

Desmond should be a steady hand, but you never know about a guy in a bucket hat.

Welcome to a THP Experience, Jaw2000, and oh by the way you are the highest cap in the entire event. Good Luck.

Opening Odds:

This one is really tough to put a number on, because the two teams are even on paper and both have question marks. With that being said, I always value THP Event Experience when looking for edges. Team Crawford has more experience on it’s side of the equation & I like their make up for Alternate Shot a bit better. Team Crawford will open as the favorite, and the THP Universe loves picking Canadan, so I’m going to extract some extra juice at the opening, because I can get it.

Opening Team Odds of Winning the 2021 Mizuno Experience:

Team Crawford -155

Team Vosh +180
Always appreciate the effort you put into these

I'll go with Team Crawford in this one!

Best of luck to the teams, going to be one heck of a fun Experience to follow!

Not my official pick yet, but there I see some value in the Vosh +180 line, but as the money comes in on team Crawford, will the line shift even higher?

Team Vosh.

This will be fun.

Team Vosh for the win!

Not my official pick yet, but there I see some value in the Vosh +180 line, but as the money comes in on team Crawford, will the line shift even higher?

That is the real tell. Especially as pairings come out Friday evening.

Oh, give me the underdog here, I’ll take Team Vosh and the weight for the win!

That is the real tell. Especially as pairings come out Friday evening.
I think you've got to get something down on Vosh and sprinkle some more as the line shifts. It is just terribly difficult to bet against the team with the best golfer, even in a team event.

I think you've got to get something down on Vosh and sprinkle some more as the line shifts. It is just terribly difficult to bet against the team with the best golfer, even in a team event.

I believe that 9 hole alternate shot format could decide the whole thing. You have to at hte worst split that session.

I have no doubt Canadan will find his game once he walks those familiar fairways, but I also feel like Jman at a 9 could wreck a fool.
Shamble format at TB should more or less become a putting contest, so there's that to consider.

Forced to bet now I'd lay the money on the chalk, but I want to see some pairings first.

Back