The Morgan Cup - The Official 2012 Thread

Let's talk schedule and the rounds!

Obviously, Sunday night should be fun for Team THP with the whole getting to celebrate our victory thing.

I think I'll be spending a good deal of time on the greens on Friday to get used to them.

As for the rounds, I'm not really sure what to expect. I certainly don't know much about match play strategy, so I'll need to talk to the people that have been there. Having three teams certainly brings something different to the table, though I'm not sure if I know what at this point. Something about the Sunday round is really exciting to me. I think there could be some really intense moments, especially coming down the stretch if things are close.

Friday Practice Day: This day is used to get used to your new gear. Full day of range time complete with unlimited range balls. Work with your new gear to get it dialed in and at the same time work with the media director to make sure all staff obligations are taken care of such as interviews, promotional videos and more.
Friday Evening: THP Dinner. This will be held at the resort and will be a fun time to relax and unwind as well as talk with fellow competitors over the tour life experienced in day one.

Saturday 36 Holes: Two rounds of golf will be played between the 3 teams and points will be accumulated for winning matches.

Morning Round – Two man team scramble. Each foursome will consist of two players from Team Hackers, Team Paradise or Team THP competing against each other. After each shot, the best of the two shots is selected and both players play from that spot, until the ball is holed. One team score is recorded.

Afternoon Round – Four Ball. All four players play their own ball throughout; at the end of each hole, the low score between the two partners on each team is that team’s score.

Sunday 18 Holes: Singles With a Twist. Threesomes with one player from each team going head to head to head. It’s 3 individual battles in each match. A vs B B vs C and C vs A

Sunday Evening: The Morgan Cup trophy ceremony for the winning team.

I was at work this morning and the owner of the hotel i work at came down to go for a swim. I was actually on here at the time and had to X out of it fairly quick ha ha, but he said to me "hey dave i hear your going to america to play golf" he plays a bit but he is a summer golfer. I explained to him about THP and TMC his face was brilliant and he said best of luck.

I must say it is really cool telling people about this place and the Morgan Cup

Let's talk schedule and the rounds!

Obviously, Sunday night should be fun for Team THP with the whole getting to celebrate our victory thing.

I think I'll be spending a good deal of time on the greens on Friday to get used to them.

As for the rounds, I'm not really sure what to expect. I certainly don't know much about match play strategy, so I'll need to talk to the people that have been there. Having three teams certainly brings something different to the table, though I'm not sure if I know what at this point. Something about the Sunday round is really exciting to me. I think there could be some really intense moments, especially coming down the stretch if things are close.

Just so you know Hawk, we'll be on the range for the entire time on that Friday. Of course, I'm sure they'll have a couple of practice greens so you can get that short game work in there. From others that were there last year, they said that Friday took on a little bit of a "Demo Day" feel on the range. Of course, at that time there were some of us that were hitting irons for the first time, so it was important to do that on the range. I'm wondering if there will be some pre-release equipment at this Morgan Cup as well.

Match play strategy isn't all that hard, I think that some people can overthink things. Just play your game and you should be fine.

I love the variations of formats. Very cool set up.

Hawk: I do agree about adapting to the greens on Friday. My iron striking will be what it is and I will gain more to get a feel as to the speed/break of the greens, etc.

Would love to get in a round at each course before Friday, gotta see about swinging that. Could pay big dividends.

Tappin' from my iPad!

The format of the competition is just awesome. I love the two-man alternate shot. Reminds me of the tournament this past weekend (Franklin Templeton), though that was a scramble I believe. And the singles matches will be unreal. So much intensity. I'm excited to see how everyone handles the pressure.

Hawk: I do agree about adapting to the greens on Friday. My iron striking will be what it is and I will gain more to get a feel as to the speed/break of the greens, etc.

Would love to get in a round at each course before Friday, gotta see about swinging that. Could pay big dividends.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I think that we're going to have a lot of people playing practice rounds at the courses on Thursday before the official sessions start on Friday. Just my opinion, of course, but Mike Strantz courses have a lot of visual intimidation, so knowing lines off of the tee and such will be important.

The format of the competition is just awesome. I love the two-man alternate shot. Reminds me of the tournament this past weekend (Franklin Templeton), though that was a scramble I believe. And the singles matches will be unreal. So much intensity. I'm excited to see how everyone handles the pressure.

One small correction: it's not 2-man alternate shot in the Morgan Cup, it's a pure scramble in the morning round on Saturday. It worked out well because it's the easiest format of the 3, so it makes sense to play that format when the nerves are highest.

I was at work this morning and the owner of the hotel i work at came down to go for a swim. I was actually on here at the time and had to X out of it fairly quick ha ha, but he said to me "hey dave i hear your going to america to play golf" he plays a bit but he is a summer golfer. I explained to him about THP and TMC his face was brilliant and he said best of luck.

I must say it is really cool telling people about this place and the Morgan Cup

Thats great man

I think that we're going to have a lot of people playing practice rounds at the courses on Thursday before the official sessions start on Friday. Just my opinion, of course, but Mike Strantz courses have a lot of visual intimidation, so knowing lines off of the tee and such will be important.

One small correction: it's not 2-man alternate shot in the Morgan Cup, it's a pure scramble in the morning round on Saturday. It worked out well because it's the easiest format of the 3, so it makes sense to play that format when the nerves are highest.

I agree about Thursday, heck I will most likely be playing from sunrise to sunset that day. I spent some on Google earth today checking out these courses again, it has me wanting to get up there and play ASAP.

--
tapatalk

Man, I saw his post and had to go look, almost made me shat myself....haha

I agree about Thursday, heck I will most likely be playing from sunrise to sunset that day. I spent some on Google earth today checking out these courses again, it has me wanting to get up there and play ASAP.

--
tapatalk

I just took my first of many tours of both courses on Google Earth. True Blue definitely has wider fairways than Caledonia, the diagrams of the holes on the True Blue website make them look narrower than they are on Google Earth. True Blue should be a great match play course with lots of options on how to play holes. Even though Caledonia is the shorter of the 2 courses, it looks to be tighter and probably a little more difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if the team matches on Saturday are at True Blue and then the Sunday singles are at Caledonia.

Caledonia would be better for the singles matches IMO. It's a course that doesn't reward long knockers, but guys who can place their golf balls. There's some really neat and challenging holes at Caledonia. True Blue is a beast. It can be brutal if you're wayward off the tee.

I'm really looking forward to the Friday. I loved being on the range with all the guys, watching each other hit shots, watching each others promos and just getting to know one another.

What's everyone thinking of doing for accommodation?

I wouldn't mind piling into a couple of condos. I'm not real familiar with that side of myrtle beach so I'll defer to yall.

I need to start looking at this. Wife will be with me and decent chance parents will fly in for the weekend.

GG sent those 3 links via PM so it appears that we are free to stay wherever we want, I am sure I will choose one of those 3. Maybe something on the beach for the wife?

Tappin' from my iPad!

I'm really looking forward to the Friday. I loved being on the range with all the guys, watching each other hit shots, watching each others promos and just getting to know one another.

The really fun part about Friday for me was getting to know the other guys, just having fun shooting the promos, and also seeing everyone else's swings. From what I've heard, I think it will be a competition between me and Chunky in terms of who hits the most balls on that day. :wink:

In terms of where to stay, True Blue has a bunch of 2-bedroom and 3-bedroom villas, that could be a Morgan Cup version of the Outing villa crawl. I did look at VRBO.com and there are some bigger houses/condos on Pawley's Island, but a lot of them look like they're only able to be rented on a weekly basis, I'm pretty sure most of us won't be there for the entire week.

Maybe you guys could get a head count of who wants to stay in the same area and have an agent set up a package? Wife and I have actually saved bucks going with an agent when we travel.

I would like to stay in a similar setup to the first MC if we can. We were all in townhouses right beside each other and some of the best times were simply hanging out with all the guys.

The really fun part about Friday for me was getting to know the other guys, just having fun shooting the promos, and also seeing everyone else's swings. From what I've heard, I think it will be a competition between me and Chunky in terms of who hits the most balls on that day. :wink:

In terms of where to stay, True Blue has a bunch of 2-bedroom and 3-bedroom villas, that could be a Morgan Cup version of the Outing villa crawl. I did look at VRBO.com and there are some bigger houses/condos on Pawley's Island, but a lot of them look like they're only able to be rented on a weekly basis, I'm pretty sure most of us won't be there for the entire week.

It is on Ary!!

I'd love it if we are all within close proximity of each other. One of the best things about the mc was the camaraderie and hanging out with each other away from the course. I haven't had a chance to check out the accommodation links gg sent us, but looks like there are some condos to choose from.

So many things I've been pondering since finding out I was a Clevelander. Honestly, if they told me to play hickory sticks I would, thankfully, they have some much nicer offerings.

I'm with you TC, Friday was a blast being on the range with everyone. A very laid back and relaxing day and we got to talk a lot about our sponsors.

I agree with everybody trying to stay close to each other so we can all hang out and get to know each other. Hawk had said something about seeing some condos that held like 6 or 8....I am game for whatever we decide to do...don't plan on doing a whole lot of staying in anyways, just someplace to shower and lay down for a few hours.

I would like to stay in a similar setup to the first MC if we can. We were all in townhouses right beside each other and some of the best times were simply hanging out with all the guys.

I agree with everybody trying to stay close to each other so we can all hang out and get to know each other. Hawk had said something about seeing some condos that held like 6 or 8....I am game for whatever we decide to do...don't plan on doing a whole lot of staying in anyways, just someplace to shower and lay down for a few hours.

I definitely like the idea of the condos/villas. I looked really briefly and saw some for around 190/night, which would end up being pretty cheap for everybody.

I definitely think that team townhouses or the like where we are all close to each other is the way to go. That was so much fun last year.

I definitely think that team townhouses or the like where we are all close to each other is the way to go. That was so much fun last year.

agreed last year was a lot of fun being right next to each other. I'm hoping we can find something similar this year.

agreed last year was a lot of fun being right next to each other. I'm hoping we can find something similar this year.

I've really been thinking hard about these courses. As TC was saying they're going to be rewarding accuracy and precision. I think it should make for really exciting golf. One moment you could be down and all it takes is one slice OOB and you're back in it. That's really exciting to me.

Last edited:
Can we still be roomies?

I've really been thinking hard about these courses. As TC was saying they're going to be rewarding accuracy and precision. I think it should make for really exciting golf. One moment you could be down and all it takes is one slice OOB and you're back in it. That's really exciting to me.

there does appear to me much more trouble on these courses than there were at Reunion. That being said I know Ary and I both hit drives OB on the same hole once, and Biggsy and The Great Belbs did the same. I think these courses set up great for a match play event.

Sure dude, we can be roomies again. I just hope the room has those pink comfortorters with purple glitter on them again

Back