The Morgan Cup - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to suggest we all start a personal war against double bogeys and penalty strokes. My daughter's coach tells her if don't make a double bogey, you can pretty easily break 80. She hasn't done it, yet, but has gotten close.

Ban the double bogey.

Kevin

Thanks man, I only had one double on the card until those last few holes, but I let the bad luck get to me, and I really shouldn't have. The war against doubles has begun! And great round today by you as well. From last to first is crazy good, and your score, (78? going off memory) is really really good.

Your memory is a little off. It was last to third and a 72. I even had one double bogey.

Ban the double bogey.

Kevin

I'm going to suggest we all start a personal war against double bogeys and penalty strokes. My daughter's coach tells her if don't make a double bogey, you can pretty easily break 80. She hasn't done it, yet, but has gotten close.

Ban the double bogey.

Kevin

Sounds about right. I just looked at my card again. I had 7 penalty strokes to go along with all the doubles and a couple triples. Yeah bad day for me.

Congrats with the HC CB! You get it under 10 before the middle of August.

Ban the double bogey.

Kevin

Nice round today Esox. Looks like AD and I might have quite the battle on our hands next month. I hope it comes down to the final hole and both teams are a wedge out.

Sounds about right. I just looked at my card again. I had 7 penalty strokes to go along with all the doubles and a couple triples. Yeah bad day for me.

Sometimes it helps to look at it a different way. My daughter, I know I mention her a lot but that's tough, shot an 82 in an event last week. She had one double bogey. If you don't whack the damn ball off the planet or into the drink, hit you second shot on or somewhere near the green, bogey is usually as bad as you'll do. Shoot for the front of greens in most cases, aim away from bunkers. Some of those bogeys turn to pars with a chip and putt.

I think it's a mind set. TC can accuse me of saying I'm really, really good, but what I try to do is be consistent. Stay out of trouble, make some putts, and some days I hit it better than others a nice score shows up.

Took me many years before I realized that. Kev, your swing looks good in the video, what kind of shots put you in so much trouble?

Kevin

Your memory is a little off. It was last to third and a 72. I even had one double bogey.

Ban the double bogey.

Kevin

Even better, my memory is starting to go. DD and Kevin, great video's and that was a great score DD. Kev, the swing looks good man, and being a chipping machine is a great thing.

This thread has been weird today while I was away golfing and it has taken me some time to catch up. Played a great round of golf today, for 15 holes, and then a bad 3 holes coming home. It was the Valley Course at my home course which is 70.8 / 130 6456 yards with the hardest greens I've ever putted. Shot a 38, 45, for an 83, but came home double, double, bogey....grrrrrr. I had 3 birdies 11 fairways, 8 GIR, only 32 putts and played great until the previously said 16th hole where I hit a great iron, right at the flag stick, which it then hit, and the ball off the green into a deep pot bunker, and short sided. I got a little mad at my bad luck, pitched out and 3 putted! I let that get to me for the next two holes. Just entered this score into the RCGA and my HC is now the lowest its ever been, 11.9, I've never been under 12 before, and the goal was to be a 10 or less before the MC so I have some work to do if I want that to happen, but I'm close.

Congrats CB! You keep playing so well and you will be a single digit before the start of the MC for sure!

Well if you plan on shanking balls into your competitors at TMC like you did that poor kids you may need a new strategy. That's low brow, even for a duke fan.

--
tapatalk

There are fences in between the stalls at the driving range, my shanks didn't hit the kid. He said that his finger hurt and then he started crying and wanted to go home. Kid needs to toughen up if he wants to be good at this game. :wink:

Sometimes it helps to look at it a different way. My daughter, I know I mention her a lot but that's tough, shot an 82 in an event last week. She had one double bogey. If you don't whack the damn ball off the planet or into the drink, hit you second shot on or somewhere near the green, bogey is usually as bad as you'll do. Shoot for the front of greens in most cases, aim away from bunkers. Some of those bogeys turn to pars with a chip and putt.

I think it's a mind set. TC can accuse me of saying I'm really, really good, but what I try to do is be consistent. Stay out of trouble, make some putts, and some days I hit it better than others a nice score shows up.

Took me many years before I realized that. Kev, your swing looks good in the video, what kind of shots put you in so much trouble?

Kevin

This is exactly what I have been concentrating on doing with my game and my scores have come down. I go away from trouble at all costs

I hope all you Morgan Cuppers are ready for some serious heat and humidity. KellyBo and I played down in Florida this weekend and today was brutal. Just plain hot, with little if any breeze and I could not find the water cooler quick enough. Make sure you bring plenty of sun tan lotion, and hydrate yourself to the max.

Kevin

The nasty snap hook. And the fat shots crept back into my game. I'd hit a great tee shot finally and then chunk one. My game is very inconsistent right now.

Kevin

Nice post Kevin. Course management at its finest. This is something I know I need to work on.

This is exactly what I have been concentrating on doing with my game and my scores have come down. I go away from trouble at all costs

When I want to be aggressive, I try to do it in a controlled way. Want to get all the way to the back pin behind the bunker. Don't jump all over the club that you know will get there if you hit it good, hit the next longer club and stroke it in there. When I was younger I jumped all over every shot. It makes no sense to me. It tires you, and it's harder to get the club square with a hard swing.

I want a miss to be in the ball park, not in the stands. Even a green side bunker can sometimes be better than 10-20 left or right hitting a chip you'll have trouble stopping over that same bunker.

Kevin

The nasty snap hook. And the fat shots crept back into my game. I'd hit a great tee shot finally and then chunk one. My game is very inconsistent right now.

I think you have a great swing OEM and it will start clicking again after you get some of the rust off from you month long hiatus. You hit some great shots out there today. Team Paradise...watch out when OEM pulls out his 3w, he pounds that damn thing!

The tee ball is a tough one. to be consistent the first shot needs to be in play. See my above post to maybe help address the fat shots. An aggressive 3/4 to 7/8 swing with more club helps me cure that problem. When I try to rip iron shots I'll often drop my head and hit the ball fat. I like more of a controlled fury in my swing than the give it all you have. But when you take a little more club, you have to also trust that 3/4 swing. You can't be worried about the distance because backing off can be as bad as going all in with everything on an approach shot.

I will, however, often rip an iron shot off a tee. Nothing like rifling a a mid to long iron into a par three.

Kevin

You haven't exactly been playing a lot. You'll find your rhythm soon enough.

I think you have a great swing OEM and it will start clicking again after you get some of the rust off from you month long hiatus. You hit some great shots out there today. Team Paradise...watch out when OEM pulls out his 3w, he pounds that damn thing!

Thanks man. I do need to work off the rust and I know it'll come soon. You we're rolling along pretty well on the back today. Besides 18 lol

Great videos guys, thanks for taking the time to make and post those.

Thanks. Just need to get more practice time in and hopefully the game comes around.

Thanks man. I do need to work off the rust and I know it'll come soon. You we're rolling along pretty well on the back today. Besides 18 lol

haha, I really didn't want to leave the course without trying one more bunker shot.

haha, I really didn't want to leave the course without trying one more bunker shot.

How many bunkers did you end up in? lol you got plenty of bunker practice haha

Some pics from today, I wasn't taking a ton of video's or pics as I was playing with the CEO of the entire resort and I didn't want to look silly, but here are some pics of the GPS on some good drives today. I was playing from the second from the tips, so it is the 306 and the 285 drives, I LOVE the Burner 2.0 driver.

DSCF0109.jpg

DSCF0106.jpg

And now some pics of the course, to show the difficulty of the course, and to show Yoccos what trees look like in a rain forrest.

DSCF0103.jpg

DSCF0105.jpg

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

Very nice. I like the little pine trees.

Kevin

Dude them some solid drives. Nice stuff bro

Awesome looking course CB, I would love to ply at a course like that!! We here in SoCal, like Yoccos in Arizona, don't have alot of courses I know of in a setting quite like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back