The most extraordinary round of golf you’ve ever seen in person?

Buddy of mine who I play with almost every week. He has a great short game. Gets up and down more often than not. But one round he shot a 74. Only had 4 GIRs. Got up and down 14 times. It was nuts. Every chip that day was inside 3 feet. He was like a machine. His 2 Bogeys? Had 2 3 putts on 2 of his GIRs. We joked later he should have just went ahead and missed those 2 greens also. Heh

Still his lowest round of his life. It was like being around a pitcher throwing a perfect game. I just kept playing my round and didn’t make a comment about it till he made Par on 18.

A pair of 15ish caps shooting an even par 9 hole alternate shot round with 3 birdies.

I remember a couple memorable rounds both times with strangers.

One time I played with an older gentleman, had to be between 65 and 70 had an old, beat up set of clubs, no head covers on any of his woods and they had to be 20-year-old McGregors. Anyway this guy I don’t know what his final score was but he drives effortlessly with this old driver further than I had ever seen anybody at my home course hit a ball. It was an enlightening experience to see someone with old technology just hit a ball so far and I’m talking about playing with guys that had won the club championship had never struck a ball as far as this guy. I never asked this guy any details of his background but he must’ve been an old pro of some sort because he was just off the charts better than anyone I’ve ever played with.

Another round I played with a complete stranger was late on a Sunday afternoon and I joined up with him after about nine holes or so. Anyway he was playing a set of really nice irons I can’t recall the brand but they were a beautiful set of irons. I had commented on them and he mentioned that he had just purchased them secondhand and he was always buying secondhand forged Irons for embarrassingly low prices. Well anyway this chap was again just a magician with his ball striking and could get up and down within a foot of the hole from anywhere. It was amazing, I have never seen anyone with a short game like this fella. Like I said he any time he missed a green and it was only probably buy a couple feet, he would chip to within a foot of the hole for his par or birdie in case of the par fives. It was again another enlightening round.

Tiger's Sunday round at Bellerieve in 2018 was fantastic in person.

I was directly behind the tee box on 3 when Tiger hit this one and watched it in person from there; looking directly down the line just like the camera shot.

Been to many events over the years... I can say I've never heard a roar like that one when he d@mn near jarred it.

I was getting in front of his gallery all day and watching him come through. That was a fun day.

It has to be close to 35+ years ago when I was invited to join a foursome at Forsgate CC in NJ. Peter Oosterhuis, who was the resident pro at the time (apologize for spelling of his last name) was giving a 9 hole playing lesson to a consultant I knew. Me and another golfer joined the foursome, played, and enjoyed watching the lesson.

Mr. Oosterhuis, besides giving the lesson played his own ball. He shot the most BORING 34, which I think was two under par. He drove the ball straight, not too long, put every shot on in regulation, and sank putts.

I thought it was remarkable how easy he made the game look.

During a nine hole round in a high school tournament, a freshman (14 years old) in my playing group shot a 29. He ended up going on to play at Clemson if I remember right. Couldn’t tell you his name, but I’ll always remember that round. Unbelievable. Made it look effortless.

Years ago I played as a single at a course and got paired up with this guy, the course was the Monday qualifying course for the Byron Nelson. He was hitting from 7100 yards and shot a 66. He could hit every shot. As we were playing we talked about his game. He had actually Monday qualified twice to play in the Nelson. His game was a whole different level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had my worst round in memory, well over 90. Was after a couple of lessons and I was trying to grind some changes out. My regular Sunday afternoon partner who is an absolute legit 9 handicapper was standing on the 18th tee at one under par gross! Proceeded to double bogey the hole to finish 1 over, but was an exceptional display. Like others have said, it was so boring - fairway, green, couple of putts and onto the next one. Nothing spectacular and an absolute pleasure to watch.

Back