The most iconic par 3 in America is…

Before clicking in and just reading the title, these popped in to my head in this order.
17 Sawgrass
12 Augusta

After reading the post I agree that 7 at Pebble is in the top three. But before Pebble was even thought about, the 14th (Floating Green) in Coeur d'Alene was next on my list. That may be because I'm four hours away from it and have always wanted to play there though

Before clicking in and just reading the title, these popped in to my head in this order.
17 Sawgrass
12 Augusta

After reading the post I agree that 7 at Pebble is in the top three. But before Pebble was even thought about, the 14th (Floating Green) in Coeur d'Alene was next on my list. That may be because I'm four hours away from it and have always wanted to play there though
You have got to find a way to make it on that course!! 4 hours is a day trip!!

You have got to find a way to make it on that course!! 4 hours is a day trip!!
Haha you're telling me! I've had plans with some friends the past two years but we haven't been able to get it figured out where it works for all of us. I actually go to CDA every spring for a soccer tournament (coaching) and I want to go but our game schedule never allows for it. I'm going next year for sure though for my bachelor party. That way, people have to come :ROFLMAO:

Augusta 12. I've always heard the Masters doesn't start until the back 9 on Sunday. So many times the 12th has had a big impact on the leaderboard. Two instances that come to mind for me immediately was Spieth's collapse and Tiger's group last year.

Has to be 17 at Sawgrass.
I would say it has to be 12 at Augusta. It's the Masters. It's the most watched golf event in the world, every year, and a beautiful hole with many big moments at a key point in the tournament.
7 at Pebble is spectacular for its setting, but it doesn't get as much exposure because it is not at as consequential a place in the routing and the Pro-Am is just a regular Tour event. Pebble's 17th would actually overshadow it for impact and big moments.
17 at Sawgrass is wonderful for what it is but has a bit too much gimmick factor.
16 at Cypress Point may be the best par-3 of all but it is not in any public tournament so not "iconic" for this discussion I assume.

I'd give it to Pebble as it wouldn't be much fun to have the most iconic Par 3 in golf be one that you cannot play (Augusta)

Augusta 12. I've always heard the Masters doesn't start until the back 9 on Sunday. So many times the 12th has had a big impact on the leaderboard. Two instances that come to mind for me immediately was Spieth's collapse and Tiger's group last year.
I was just talking to a buddy about Tiger's group last year, where they all found the drink except Tiger who just threw it out to the left and took his par and got outta there!

Haha you're telling me! I've had plans with some friends the past two years but we haven't been able to get it figured out where it works for all of us. I actually go to CDA every spring for a soccer tournament (coaching) and I want to go but our game schedule never allows for it. I'm going next year for sure though for my bachelor party. That way, people have to come :ROFLMAO:
Oh smart man!! Make them pay for it too!! lmao

I was just talking to a buddy about Tiger's group last year, where they all found the drink except Tiger who just threw it out to the left and took his par and got outta there!

I felt bad for the other guys, but knew this could have been the start of something magical.....

I would say it has to be 12 at Augusta. It's the Masters. It's the most watched golf event in the world, every year, and a beautiful hole with many big moments at a key point in the tournament.
7 at Pebble is spectacular for its setting, but it doesn't get as much exposure because it is not at as consequential a place in the routing and the Pro-Am is just a regular Tour event. Pebble's 17th would actually overshadow it for impact and big moments.
17 at Sawgrass is wonderful for what it is but has a bit too much gimmick factor.
16 at Cypress Point may be the best par-3 of all but it is not in any public tournament so not "iconic" for this discussion I assume.
Eh. Too gimmicky.

:unsure:

12 at Augusta and 7 at Pebble came to my mind when I was waiting for the thread to open. Both devilishly simple, but if you screw them up your in trouble.

I think the 2 at PGA National would be more highly regarded if there was only one of them ?. They are basically the same hole twice though so it reduces the relevance of either one.

I'll say that I've played Pebble and Sawgrass, and I've walked Augusta. Standing at the tee box at all three, Sawgrass' 17th easily is 3rd of the three when it comes just to visual experience. The green itself at Sawgrass may be a little more interesting than Pebble 7 as it is larger and has a ridge that runs through, while Pebble 7 is smaller and with a slight slope, but the entire green setting and downhill nature of Pebble 7 add lots more interest, and the incredible scenery of that spot and that hole is one of those unforgettable golf experiences you will ever have.

Eh. Too gimmicky.
Curious as to why you think so? I've had friends that were there say it's one of the coolest golf shots they've ever taken. I see it as more of a unique experience, not so much a gimmick.

If going by Iconic from a PGA tour perspective, almost every fan recognizes the 16th hole from TPC Scottsdale (WM Open).

From your list I'd go Sawgrass 17, Augusta 12, Pebble 7.

If going by Iconic from a PGA tour perspective, almost every fan recognizes the 16th hole from TPC Scottsdale (WM Open).

From your list I'd go Sawgrass 17, Augusta 12, Pebble 7.
I did think about 16 @ Scottsdale, but it's a very simple hole. In terms of nerves and environment yes, but difficulty and strategy, sub par.

This is honestly baffling to me. I had to google what the 16th at Cypress even was. 17 at Sawgrass is mentioned almost any time there is an island green anywhere, and it's played every year during one of the biggest tournaments of the year. Have you played Cypress before? Just trying to figure this out haha
I don't know if it helps but I'm guessing it has to do with a several things. First, I'm old and I never was one to waste much time watching golf on TV other than majors, Ryder Cup etc... I've not played any of the holes/courses mentioned but the first three holes that came to mind are the three tee shots that pop up in my dreams frequently and have done so for over 40 years. Each are set into visually spectacular backdrops and those three greens appear difficult to get to or hold for different reasons. I get that #12 is dressed up in April and wouldn't make my cut if not for The Masters (I do watch that one). In contrast, #17 without the Tour TV hype isn't set in a memorable back drop and looks to be a relatively easy green to hit and hold with a decent shot. If the wind isn't blowing hard I'm betting the Tour GIR % and Par or better % is pretty high. More gimmick than substance IMO and so copied as to seem almost over exposed to me.

Technically if the criteria is which par three would be most recognizable to Joe Schmoe, or most copied, then yes it's #17, followed by #12. But if I (speaking just for me I guess) were able to hand pick 18 USA holes for a dream course, #17 Sawgrass wouldn't sniff it. #12 Augusta, #7 Pebble, and #16 Cypress would be among the first three holes I'd pick. If I felt the need to include an island green it'd be the 14th at Coeur d'Alane. Stunning scenery and setting would far out weigh Tour TV coverage for me. Honestly I'd probably for go the need for an island green, there are other awesome par threes I'd rather play.

Last edited:
12th at Augusta, 17th at TPC and 7th at Pebble

Exact order they came into my head when I saw the title.

I'd argue a 100yrd shot with a 40 foot drop is more gimmicky. In any different location, that hole would be ridiculed.
Have you been there? It uses the natural feature of the land. The trouble on all sides and wind (on breezy days) are the challenges rather than distance. Nothing gimmicky about it

Back