The next chapter begins- Becoming a Golfer!

Good luck with everything!
You ever think of dropping the Driver for now and picking up a 3 wood?

Rob,
This is actually one of the reasons I've gone with some low Hybrids. I have hit my 3I well off the tee (at times!) in the past, so hoping the 2H will be a good option for me off the tee in tight situations. Up until the last couple of rounds, I was hitting the ball well with my driver and putting the ball into play reasonably often.

I don't really think the 3W would really suit me at this point. Saying that, my old driver is only 320cc. I was at the range a couple of weeks ago and a guy told me he'd never seen someone hitting a 3W so far---pretty funny!

Swing thought of the day: Shoulder turn, leading with the shoulder from setup.

Chips/Pitches
- I stuck with my 60* 25 yard flag and tried to hit different types of shots to the flags again. I was also working with holding the shaft in different places (up and down the shaft) as I have a tendency to really choke down on the club when on the course. Working on the different shots is really fun and makes practice interesting. I also did my "rapid fire" routine. I find just hitting 30 balls one after another with minimal setup keep my hands loose and gets me comfortable with shots.

Irons -I was killng the 9I and hitting it right where I wanted (within reason!). However, moving down to the 7 started to cause some problems. In the end I was hitting some god balls at the 150 yd marker with the 7 and was happy with the ball flight.

Hybrids - I'm still loving the Motore Speeder 65i in the 4H. At one point I hit 5/5 through the uprights! Hitting more consistent shots, but also hit the odd slice. I ALSO INTRODUCED A PULL SHOT INTO MY ROUTINE WHICH CARRIED OVER INTO THE DRIVER/

Driver - I was hitting the ball pretty good again today. Worked on standing more upright in the driver stance and not really focusing on the spine tilting. I've really got to push off the back leg and drive the hips down the line to get the ball headed in the right direction.

I think the reason for my new hook is that I am coming over the top too much. I will have my instructor look at it after Thursday's round...

Good luck with your journey. It takes a lot of work and time for many of us, but if you enjoy the process, it's a ton of fun.

Rob,
This is actually one of the reasons I've gone with some low Hybrids. I have hit my 3I well off the tee (at times!) in the past, so hoping the 2H will be a good option for me off the tee in tight situations. Up until the last couple of rounds, I was hitting the ball well with my driver and putting the ball into play reasonably often.

I don't really think the 3W would really suit me at this point. Saying that, my old driver is only 320cc. I was at the range a couple of weeks ago and a guy told me he'd never seen someone hitting a 3W so far---pretty funny!

I only mentioned it because when I started to use Driver only on par 5's, 3 on par 4's my HC dropped like a rock. Good luck with you quest!

Thanks for the heads up Rob! I actually hit my driver well at times, but it also does cost me plenty of strokes.

I'm getting my 2H and 3H re-shafted next week, so I'll have a couple of longer clubs in the bag. I don't actually have a 3W, but if I can't get the Driver working well then I will certainly be demoing some new woods.

Thanks again mate!

Swing thought of the day: Shoulder turn, get the hands off the target line-no more over the top.

Chips/Pitches
- More rapid fire with ball in different positions. I seem to be clipping the ball off the fairway part of the mat pretty well.

Irons -I started off hitting some 9 irons and was striking the ball reasonably well. After hooking some Hybrids and Drivers, I pulled out the 8 iron and was working on getting the club less over the top. I suddenly had a nice draw happening and was hitting the 8I 150 yds at times. This length is highly unusual for me. I then pulled out the 5I and hit 7-8 of the best shots I've ever hit with the club! Just pure sweetness......

Hybrids -Not too stoked with the Hybrid today, but I didn't go back to hitting it after I was grooving the irons. I had MANY a snap hook which I can only hope is from coming too far over the top. I'll definitely be working on seeing how the Hybrid likes a more rounded swing tomorrow.

Driver -Lots of pulls and Hooks! I really started working on not coming over the top so much and it seemed to help. I don't think it is an outside in issue as much as something else.........dunno.

Hopefully I'll have time to go to the range tomorrow, but not sure. My mum and mother in law are both going home on Monday, so practice will be full on.

Neo

My short game practice area

My short game practice area

So yesterday my driving range was closed, so I drove to an area about 45 minutes from here that has a grass chipping/pitching area. It is really a great place and the sand base (under the grass) really forces you to make clean contact with the ball. The name of the place is Whitehead Golf Centre--north of Hong Kong.

I focused on accelerating through the ball---with varying results. Overall I'm still stoked with my chipping and pitching-for a 23 handicap :).

Here's some pics:

PracticeArea2.jpg

Great place for working on hitting a spot on the green based on expected roll-out:

PracticeArea.jpg

There's even a place to hit over a bit of water!

PracticeArea3.jpg

Swing thought of the day: Inside out with the driver, work the setup routine.

Chips/Pitches
- I only hit a handful of chips today as I spent two hours yesterday practicing. It's always a good warm up and good practice on keeping the head down and watching the ball.

Irons -I started off hitting some 7 irons and was pushing things to the right and slicing. I shortened up the backswing a bit and it made the timing come together and I started hitting things straight-just not overly long. I will take straight for Thursdays round for sure!

Hybrids -I probably hit 8/10 through the uprights............after getting rid of the hook I woke up with! I still think trying to hit the stiff Adams V3 with the Bassara Shaft got me hitting over the top in an effort to work the shaft. As long as I point the back to the ball and try to keep the hands low in the backswing (start of) I hit the 4H pretty well. I tried to call the shop and order the Motore Speeder 6i for my 2H and 3H, but Roy is away until Thursday. I'm gonna definitely be putting these in my Hybrids when he gets back in the shop.

Driver -WHIPPY ASSED HOOKS! That's how the day started.....Still just outside to in I'm sure. Once I started concentrating on coming around the shoulders more than over them, I was hitting a nice little draw. Higher than my normal drives, but controllable. I'm headed back to the range in the morning to make sure I can put the ball in play for Thursday's round.

Swing thought of the day: Shoulder turn, more inside out on the swing.

Chips/Pitches
- I didn't hit any chips or pitches today. I've noticed that chipping and pitching really makes my elbow hurt. I injured it a few weeks ago, but typically by the time I'm done with my short game practice, it's already wanting to seize up a bit on me.

Irons -I really wasn't hitting the 5-7 very well, but when shortening up the swing and concentrating on swinging inside/out I hit some sweet shots. Not as long as my full on shoulder turning, weight shifting shots but straight. Tomorrow I plan to keep the swings someone short and get good rotation and follow through.

Hybrids -The Adams V3 4H was good to me. However, too much inside out or too far outside in definitely have some serious consequences. It will be a great club for me tomorrow as long as I can keep from hooking it!

Driver -Still getting the odd nasty hook, but when "letting it go" a bit and keeping the hands low in the back swing (not over the top) to ensure an in to out path I was hitting some great shots. Where I'm playing tomorrow is a bit of a chore if the driver isn't working.......

Off to Macau Golf and Country Club in the morning and have an 11:24 tee time. My coach/instructor is coming along as well, so I'll really have to play my round and not think I can keep up with him (at least on every hole ;-))

I played at MGGG today..........hit a 95 which is two under my current handicap. I really didn't hit the irons all that well, but kept the putts down to a minimum and was pretty reasonable around the greens with the wedges. Nothing special with the Driver, but it did put the ball in play most of the day.

The Hybrid was used several times today and was fairly effective. It was certainly nice to have the 4H in the bag on the 210 Yd Par 3's.

On Saturday (26 Nov) I went to Whitehead Golf Centre as they were having a demo day. Taylor Made, Callaway, Adams and a few other brands were present. It was an awesome experience as there was literally NOONE else hitting clubs. I spent a solid two hours hitting clubs of various types.

Winners for me on the day were the R11 Irons and the Callaway Razr Driver. I'll cover these later, but can't wait to go to the new TaylorMade Mat-T system once it is set up in Kowloon. They are expecting it to be operational by mid December, so I'm hoping to get fitted before I leave on the 19th. Unless TaylorMade comes up with a better shaft solution that works for me, I'm going for the Razr!

I'll touch on my love of the Razr in JB's thread...................WOOHOO!

LESSON TODAY
Swing thought of the day: Closed Stance, shoulders over feet, hit that hook consistently!

I had my first lesson with a new coach here in Hong Kong today. He was very quick to get my left hand more on top and made a couple of other small adjustments. At this point he only has me hitting SW/PW/9I in a 3/4 swing. I am also concentrating on working my weight forward and synched with everything else.

Today's drill (to be worked on for the next week-until the next lesson) is to stand in a closed stance and to hit that hook happily. I was also instructed to finish the swing with the club perpendicular to the ground and to go no further. This puts me in a position to ensure I have extended my arms/hands away from the body without leaning down the target line.

Overall I was very happy with the lesson and hope things continue to progress with my new guy.
Cheers,
Neo

My instructor says at this point if we can get rid of the right side of the course then we are doing well.

I also learned today that what I think is my 3/4 (9-3) swing is much more like an 85% swing!

Sounds like you are well on your way. Would love a practice facility like the one above. Thanks for sharing your journey.

LESSON TODAY
Swing thought of the day: Closed Stance, shoulders over feet, hit that hook consistently!

I had my first lesson with a new coach here in Hong Kong today. He was very quick to get my left hand more on top and made a couple of other small adjustments. At this point he only has me hitting SW/PW/9I in a 3/4 swing. I am also concentrating on working my weight forward and synched with everything else.

Today's drill (to be worked on for the next week-until the next lesson) is to stand in a closed stance and to hit that hook happily. I was also instructed to finish the swing with the club perpendicular to the ground and to go no further. This puts me in a position to ensure I have extended my arms/hands away from the body without leaning down the target line.

Overall I was very happy with the lesson and hope things continue to progress with my new guy.
Cheers,
Neo

My instructor says at this point if we can get rid of the right side of the course then we are doing well.

I also learned today that what I think is my 3/4 (9-3) swing is much more like an 85% swing!

Thanks for having stopped in and leaving some kind words KB! I'm originally a Ga. boy myself.......go dogs! I've actually got plenty of family in Henry county, so they're not too far away from you.

I can't wait to get some new irons and driver. I went to a demo day last week and absolutely nailed the new drivers that are out (Callaway, TaylorMade, Adams). I'm sure hoping when I get rid of the 10 year old tools in my bag that I'll drop a few more strokes in a hurry.

Well isn't it a small world. Who would have thought someone in Hong Kong would be from Henry County, GA. :D

I would definitely think updating your equipment will make a HUGE difference in your game. Can't wait to see what you choose. I've been taking lessons for over a year now so I'm always interested in reading about lessons. I've also updated my bag this past year and it has certainly helped me a lot.

Keep up the hard work and you will reap the benefits!

Thanks for having stopped in and leaving some kind words KB! I'm originally a Ga. boy myself.......go dogs! I've actually got plenty of family in Henry county, so they're not too far away from you.

I can't wait to get some new irons and driver. I went to a demo day last week and absolutely nailed the new drivers that are out (Callaway, TaylorMade, Adams). I'm sure hoping when I get rid of the 10 year old tools in my bag that I'll drop a few more strokes in a hurry.

Good luck! It sounds like you are focused.

Thanks again for the kind words guys (and gals ;-))

Yesterday and today I was able to get in 2.5 hours on the range (total). 85% of my focus was working on a drill that my instructor wants me to work on. This is in addition to working on getting my left hand more on top and my right hand stronger.

In a nutshell, I set up in a closed stance and work on hitting a draw/slice. It's supposed to help synchronize everything coming through at the right time, particularly as it is only a 3/4 swing. It certainly makes me strike the ball crisper.

The only thing is that now (even with a closed stance), I occasionally hit them dead straight. Maybe this is what is supposed to happen.......I'll find out next Wednesday when I have my next lesson.

I'll be able to get in a couple of hours in the morning, but then I'm off to Vietnam for a couple of days and won't get to practice-boohoo.

Swing thought of the day: Staggered step, professional grip (from 05 Dec Range Practice)

Chips/Pitches
- More rapid fire with ball in different positions. I have a tendency to REALLY choke down when making little pitch shots. I've always written this off as being to hit a shorter distance. Truth be told - I'm sure it is really just fear of fatting it green side. During this session I was concentrating on staying out on the grip more as well as making sure to end up with my body facing the target. I find ending up with the body facing the target keep me from coming across my body on small chips and hitting the ball left. It also makes it much easier to continue the club along the target path after impact.

Irons - I'm still working on hitting the ball with a closed set up position. I'm finding that I've now altered my swing in order to hit the ball straighter which I'm sure isn't exactly what my coach had planned! I'm sure the issue is that I'm still taking the club down the line rather than getting around the body in this closed position. When I get back to the range, I'll be sure to concentrate on where the club is halfway through the backswing. I also pulled the 3I out and had some whacks with it as the past few sessions I've only been hitting shorter irons. Man, I still like hitting a nice long iron!

Hybrids -Hit it ok, but realised it isn't a friendly club when working on swing issues. I'm still sure this is going to be a weapon in my bag at some point and often hit it well. Problem is, it seems like every time I pull it out of the bag, the first few hits are nasty hooks. From there I progressed through hitting it straight to hitting it with a slice.

Driver -Just too much going on with my swing changes to focus on the driver too much. Saying that, I do find it helps me to practice extending during the follow through........

I'm back to the range this afternoon and hoping to really start hitting some hooks in this closed stance--which is what my coach is expecting!

Also, I booked my Taylor Made MAT-T fitting system here in Hong Kong for 16 December. It's at the new K11 Art Mall here in Hong Kong. I stopped in yesterday to book the session. The shop was ok, but really just looked like a big magazine ad rather than a golf shop. I'm sure the MAT-T fitting in a couple of weeks will be a much different experience.

Neo

LESSON TODAY

Are you sure your not getting Hooks and Slices wrong? I only say this because you mention the above. If your going right that would be a Slice, unless your a leftie of course. Keep up the good work man. With this amount of practice and all the lessons your taking you'll be much better in no time!

Rob,
Thanks for having stopped by! I have ALWAYS pushed/sliced the ball due to an open clubface. For the past week I've been hitting with a closed stance and my instructor told me to work on grooving my hook (left) in the position. I had another lesson today and starting hitting in a typical stance again and, (although I felt like I was really going around the body too much on the backswing-video proved otherwise) was really hitting the ball well.

The reason for him wanting to get rid of the right side was that I was just tooooo inconsistent. He felt that if I could consistently hit straight or hooks then we could make that work.

Thanks again for the kind words-Neo

I spent an hour and a half yesterday at the range and mostly hit PW/8 while still concentrating on getting into the right positions on the backswing and working on getting more inside-out on the downswing.

It was a pretty frustrating day overall, but I stuck with it and just had to believe there was a plan......................

I shoulda listened to Coach last week!

I shoulda listened to Coach last week!

.............so, there was a plan after all!

I had another lesson today and told my instructor that I really felt like I was coming around the body too much. He shrugged his shoulders and said that if I had been hitting as many balls this week as he suspected I had, and been in a closed position, that this is exactly what he would have expected.

He was really working on making sure I was getting into the right slots and I hit some reasonable shots. Then he looked at my grip and mentioned that I wasn't setting up with the weak left hand that we had worked on the week before. I told him I thought I was, but that I was also compensating for my new found elbow pain. DC (Coach) quickly got me back into position and showed me how this (proper) grip takes the strain off the chilly dipping move I had been practicing for a couple of months. And, oh how he was right!

Once I got the grip sorted and slowed down my tempo, some good shots were to be had. I've always felt that when I tried to get the correct grip that there was heaps of pressure on my wrists and it just flat out hurt! What I FINALLY realised today was that it's ok to deloft the club a bit, get the hands towards the left thigh a bit more and quit trying to be a contortionist. AND, OH WHAT A FEELING!

After the lesson, I had a few things to do so I could only stay and hit for about 15 minutes. So, what was I to do? Took care of my chores and was back on the range within a couple of hours.

Now, I'm not kidding here but I probably hit close to 125 balls in my second session. I hit NO MORE than 10 balls that sliced or were pushed! Pretty unbelievable to say the least. Just needed to have confidence in hitting inside out and letting the correct grip ensure the hands would get where they needed to be.

SO, just because I got rid of the right side of the "course" doesn't mean everything was completely peachy. I had my fair share of snap hooks that flew a country mile. However, I do know what the problem is.........

When I was drilling/practicing over the past couple of weeks, I was getting the hands rolling over but then when I got to the 3/4 follow through position my hands had not completed the transition to prepare for the completion of the follow through. It was really just a matter of continuing the swing plane through the follow through. This was a bit of an odd concept as I had been working on 3/4 swings all week and just couldn't seem to stop the club at 3/4 on the follow through. Now I realise this was completely due to my wrist not having completed it's work and this was causing me to kind of get jammed up on the follow through. Stopping at 3/4 was just dang near impossible...........NOT ANYMORE!

I'm having a TaylorMade MAT-T fitting next Friday, so next week coach and I are going to make sure I'm striking the ball well. He has also arranged his schedule so he can come to the fitting......pretty cool huh? I mean, he is a TM Pro, but still he offered to come in on his own time. Pretty impressed to say the least!

Cheers, Neo

Back