The no club left behind rule......

wilsonstaffiron

Reaction score
Handicap
Well, I broke the code. I left my burner aw on the ninth green side yesterday and didn't notice it until halfway through the back nine. Went back looking, no good. Packed course so I put out an APB but no luck. Called today hoping someone turned it in, no luck. My own fault, but, I've found tons of clubs and always turn them in. Anyone else have any leave your club behind moments?

hell, I walked off the range yesterday and left my phone sitting on a club rack.....used a friends phone and call the pro shop walking down #4 and it was already turned in. Biggest issue where i play is someone will pick up your ball in a HEARTBEAT

I've left too many clubs on the course to remember. Haven't done it in years because I routinely check the bag every few holes.

I think I all but one were found or returned.

The most mind-boggling: back when was playing a new Burner Bubble driver, I left it on the 18th tee box at my club. And I was playing by myself.

Didn't even realize it until I got on the first tee the next day. Walked into the pro shop and there it was.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I haven't left a club behind since I started putting them on the edge of the green directly between the hole and my cart. I'd literally trip over it on my way back to the cart if I didn't pick it up, hard to miss that way. I also check my bag every couple holes - my clubs are organized so all it takes is a quick glance to make sure everything is there.

Not me recently, but my wife leaves one somewhere about every other round. We're working on that. I'm grateful her clubs aren't anything special and we play at a club with really great people, because someone always turns it in. Turns everything in, really. Our lost and found is a huge collection of clubs, wallets, and phones.

When I take multiple clubs out, I’ve started to bring a towel with. A large white one, and place the extra clubs on there. Very visual that something is laying around, easy way to clean my clubs walking back to the cart, and also keeps my grips and clubs dry if the grass is damp.

I have left a some but have always realized pretty quickly and gone back to find them, sometimes still laying there and some picked up by the group behind but they always volunteered the clubs very quickly. I haven't left any for a while but now I play with my son whose 14 and he went through quite a stretch of leaving a club behind last year. There was only 1 time he didn't realize in time to go back and grab it but we found it at the clubhouse the next day.

I've returned/turned in many clubs over the years of playing golf.
I don't understand the attitude of thinking that you should keep something that was accidentally left behind.

Not me recently, but my wife leaves one somewhere about every other round. We're working on that. I'm grateful her clubs aren't anything special and we play at a club with really great people, because someone always turns it in. Turns everything in, really. Our lost and found is a huge collection of clubs, wallets, and phones.
A friend who recently started playing is absent-minded and easily distracted, his mind is always going a thousand miles an hour in a hundred different directions. He was losing at least one club per round for a while, and luckily they kept getting turned in. We finally had to beat it into his head to always, always, always set his clubs down on the green between him and his cart. He hasn't lost a club since.

...I don't understand the attitude of thinking that you should keep something that was accidentally left behind.
It's thievery, plain and simple. It's not yours, you know it belongs to somebody else, you're not entitled to keep it. Turn it in at the pro shop!

If i have multiples out of the bag, I ALWAYS lay them down between the cup and my bag, cart or pushcart

A friend who recently started playing is absent-minded and easily distracted, his mind is always going a thousand miles an hour in a hundred different directions. He was losing at least one club per round for a while, and luckily they kept getting turned in. We finally had to beat it into his head to always, always, always set his clubs down on the green between him and his cart. He hasn't lost a club since.
So your friend goes from point A (green) to point B (cart) in something that resembles a straight line then? That's awesome.

My wife has more of a casual tourist type path out there. Lol

Last edited:
I’ve done it several times and it’s always been returned. Last week I noticed it 2 holes later and went back to the group behind us and they had it.

So your friend goes from point A (green) to point B (cart) in something that resembles a straight line then? That's awesome.

My wife had more of a casual tourist type path out there. Lol
Yeah, we can at least get him to stay focused long enough to walk back to the right cart in a reasonably straight line. And with the club right in his path on short grass in plain sight, it's pretty hard to miss, even for him.

When he started out, he was like a little kid - drop his clubs anywhere around the green, in tall rough or wherever, no logic to it. It's no wonder he kept losing clubs. It got annoying having to constantly go back to the groups behind us and ask if they had picked up a club, and hear him obsess over it for the rest of the round if they didn't have it, wondering aloud over and over again if it would be turned in at the pro shop. He also just had his clubs thrown in his bag in random order, so a few times he thought he lost a club, he'd find it in his bag two holes later, hidden behind another club.

I used to do it all the time but have gotten much better at not doing it. I left my SM7 wedge near a green. And after 5 days of no one turning it in I bought another one. Then a week later someone turned it in. The main problem I used to have was leaving my 7 iron on the driving range and not realizing it until I get to a hole where I needed it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have lost multiple wedges a long time ago. It happened to the guy in the group in front of me today. I refuse to let it happen anymore so I bring either a towel (good for quick clean) or putter headcover to the green with me if I set it down I always know where thanks to the spotter on the item.

Rare instance has a club been turned in which makes me frown at society and golfers moral compass... I felt bad for the guy today, if I were driving or empty course would have gone back but have been walking recently. He had a cart and should have checked immediately as there was only me and one group on the green.

He made the mistake of check-in with the club house after the round.

I try to place my clubs down in the path between hole and my bag...

I haven’t forgotten a club yet luckily! I’ve found a few and depending on the course, it’s either lean it against a tree and call the pro shop or turn it in at the end of the round.

This has become a bit of a plague for me. I played with @mtbloco and @oumagic at the Raven Golf Club last month. I left my 4i on the first tee box. I didn't realize it until #8 and promptly started having a panic attack. Thankfully it was with the cart guys at the turn. You would think that I would have learned my lesson after that. Nope.

Last weekend I played with @oumagic, @mtbloco, and @Wildcat4life at The Golf Club of Estrella. I left my entire bag of clubs in the parking lot (I'm still not sure how in the f*** I managed that). To top it off, I drove 3.5 hours home and didn't even realize that I had done it until the next day. I called the club and asked if anyone had found them. They took my number and told me that the would call me back. That was the longest 20 minutes of my life! They called back and confirmed that my clubs were there. I made the 7 hour round trip drive within the hour to retrieve my clubs. I've never been so happy to make a drive that long in my life.

I haven't lost a club on the course for a long time. I've found a few things before. Once found an iPhone. Asked the group on the next hole (playing back toward us) if they lost a phone. One of the guys asked what kind of phone. I chuckled and asked what kind of phone he'd lost. Not sure why he thought I was gonna tell him what kind of phone to claim, but apparently he thought I was an idiot. After screwing around for a minute or so, he finally unlocked it with the PIN so I was satisfied and let him take it. I always do the same with clubs. I'll ask as many groups as I can if they lost a club and make them tell me what kind of club it is. I figure if they can't tell me what kind of club they lost, then it must not be theirs.

Some courses might be safe to return stuff to the clubhouse, but I always figure if you turn it in to some (maybe the private courses don't fall in this category) they're just gonna put it in their used club rack or headcover bin or whatever and sell it.

Haven’t left a club for a few years, knock on wood. Awful feeling to reach in a bag for a club that is no longer there.

Yeah, the 14 way bag makes this easy. I can tell at a glance if anything is missing. The push cart helps greatly, too. I usually just push it up next to the green on my exit path to the next green. I can put everything back and just take my putter with me and attach the headcover to one of my wedges.

I’ve yet to loose a club, but I thank the iron covers for that. If I take a club out of the bag I put the iron cover in a pocket. I did loose a pack of cigarettes once.

I have before but got it back. Another reason I like a 14 way top on a bag, empty hole means a missing club.. Easy to see after every green.

I did it last year but luckily went back and a guy had picked it up and gave it to me. Its a nervous feeling when you realize your mistake.

I’ve yet to loose a club, but I thank the iron covers for that. If I take a club out of the bag I put the iron cover in a pocket. I did loose a pack of cigarettes once.
I have before but got it back. Another reason I like a 14 way top on a bag, empty hole means a missing club.. Easy to see after every green.

I'm good to go! I rock a 14 way bag AND iron covers!

I haven't left one behind in years, and luckily haven't ever lost one.

If I am on the green with a wedge and a putter, I make a point of leaving the wedge in my path back to the cart (or to my other clubs).

Back