The Official 2019 MLB Thread

In an interview after the game, Joe Torre just offered a very confusing justification supporting the call by the Umpire.

Watching that play in the 7th again is even worse. Peacock's throw hit Turner on the back of his right leg just as he arrived at the bag. The throw would have been on the foul side of the bag as it passed the base if it hadn't hit him. No wonder Turner "interfered" with Gurriel's attempt to catch it.

Umpire 38, with glasses, should be ejected from Game 7 before it even starts. Martinez was relatively calm until he started yapping at Martinez; that's when Martinez really blew up. Shameful.

Tonight should be interesting. I really think the Astros needed to win last night because of the way things worked out with Scherzer. We will see though but Scherzer > Greinke

Watching that play in the 7th again is even worse. Peacock's throw hit Turner on the back of his right leg just as he arrived at the bag. The throw would have been on the foul side of the bag as it passed the base if it hadn't hit him. No wonder Turner "interfered" with Gurriel's attempt to catch it.

Umpire 38, with glasses, should be ejected from Game 7 before it even starts. Martinez was relatively calm until he started yapping at Martinez; that's when Martinez really blew up. Shameful.

He was called out, according to MLB via Joe Torre, because he interfered with Gurriel's attempt to catch the throw. And it's a non reviewable judgment call. I feel sorry for Joe Torre because the situation put him in a bad place having to explain and support a questionable judgment call made by an umpire.

What really happened was that Turner was hit by an errant throw from Peacock as Turner reached first base and Gurriel "attempted" to catch the ball. The call bailed out Houston for a obviously bad throw and a poor effort to catch the ball. Thankfully, for MLB, Rendon made the call irrelevant.

Ump should have walked away from Martinez. And he certainly could have thrown him out without the need to rely on a theatrical gesture. But it actually was the other umpire that was involved in the discussion with Martinez between innings who escalated the situation. I just looked at the video again. It was, I believe, the third base ump who got between Martinez and the home plate ump. This other ump can be seen yelling at Martinez and he goes as far as pointing his finger in the direction of Martinez. The umps clearly escalated the situation - nothing new or out of the ordinary there. Let the Manager vent don't yell back at him.

Also not surprisingly, the Umpires Union came out and stated it was the right call.

He was called out, according to MLB via Joe Torre, because he interfered with Gurriel's attempt to catch the throw. And it's a non reviewable judgment call. I feel sorry for Joe Torre because the situation put him in a bad place having to explain and support a questionable judgment call made by an umpire.

What really happened was that Turner was hit by an errant throw from Peacock as Turner reached first base and Gurriel "attempted" to catch the ball. The call bailed out Houston for a obviously bad throw and a poor effort to catch the ball. Thankfully, for MLB, Rendon made the call irrelevant.

Ump should have walked away from Martinez. And he certainly could have thrown him out without the need to rely on a theatrical gesture. But it actually was the other umpire that was involved in the discussion with Martinez between innings who escalated the situation. I just looked at the video again. It was, I believe, the third base ump who got between Martinez and the home plate ump. This other ump can be seen yelling at Martinez and he goes as far as pointing his finger in the direction of Martinez. The umps clearly escalated the situation - nothing new or out of the ordinary there. Let the Manager vent don't yell back at him.

Also not surprisingly, the Umpires Union came out and stated it was the right call.

They have to back their guys or all hell will break loose. According to the rules it was the right call BUT you almost never see it called and in that situation it probably shouldn't have been.

As far as Martinez and the umps, I rather enjoyed it reminded me of old school baseball, only thing missing was him kicking dirt on the ump or picking up a base haha. Tonight should be fun. At least I hope so.

booooooooo now the masked singer is pushed back ANOTHER week. Thanks MLB.

Tonight should be interesting. I really think the Astros needed to win last night because of the way things worked out with Scherzer. We will see though but Scherzer > Greinke

Somehow I think this game is going to be influenced by the bullpens. If so, it will be interesting to watch to see if Cole is needed. Because starters pitching, even on extremely short rest, in relief in deciding games is becoming the norm. And especially likely this year because both of these teams have bullpen issues. Hinch may trust Osuna. And if I'm Martinez, I'm not sure if I trust Rodney, Hudson or Doolittle to get important outs in a deciding game.

Somehow I think this game is going to be influenced by the bullpens. If so, it will be interesting to watch to see if Cole is needed. Because starters pitching, even on extremely short rest, in relief in deciding games is becoming the norm. And especially likely this year because both of these teams have bullpen issues. Hinch may trust Osuna. And if I'm Martinez, I'm not sure if I trust Rodney, Hudson or Doolittle to get important outs in a deciding game.

I hope it does honestly because Astros have the better bullpen haha and if the starter thing happens I'm just glad Verlander isn't available (He just hasn't been good) Cole on 3 days rest could be interesting. I don't expect Greinke to last more than 4 maybe 5 tonight. Scherzer worries me though if he can go 8 like Strasberg did last night Astros are probably in trouble.

This will come down to how the umpire calls strikes. Greinke needs the edges of the plate to be successful. If those pitches are called balls he's in a bit of trouble.

For all of Verlander's issues in the WS as a starting pitcher, last night he wasnt helped out. Twice men on 2nd and 3rd with one out and they dont come home. IF those guys get brought in and the score is 4-1 or 5-1 when the fiasco happens in the 7th it's still a ball game and I think the Astros pull that one out.

They have to not leave guys on base. Greinke can pitch masterfully, but without run support it's all moot. The Astros worked hard all year for home field advantage and they have one last shot to have it help them win a game.

This will come down to how the umpire calls strikes. Greinke needs the edges of the plate to be successful. If those pitches are called balls he's in a bit of trouble.

For all of Verlander's issues in the WS as a starting pitcher, last night he wasnt helped out. Twice men on 2nd and 3rd with one out and they dont come home. IF those guys get brought in and the score is 4-1 or 5-1 when the fiasco happens in the 7th it's still a ball game and I think the Astros pull that one out.

They have to not leave guys on base. Greinke can pitch masterfully, but without run support it's all moot. The Astros worked hard all year for home field advantage and they have one last shot to have it help them win a game.

Yeah I completely agree. I thought Reddick should have scored on that ball that got stuck under the wall. I get the call to hold him with only 1 out and Altuve at the plate but sometimes you have to be aggressive, I would have sent him, unless he's not as fast as I think he is? Also I still cant believe the home team hasn't won a game yet haha.

This other ump can be seen yelling at Martinez and he goes as far as pointing his finger in the direction of Martinez.
Yes, not the plate ump; this is what really set Martinez off.

Where was the first base ump in all of this? He should've had a vantage point where he could tell the plate ump that the bad throw was wide of the bag.

Yeah I completely agree. I thought Reddick should have scored on that ball that got stuck under the wall. I get the call to hold him with only 1 out and Altuve at the plate but sometimes you have to be aggressive, I would have sent him, unless he's not as fast as I think he is? Also I still cant believe the home team hasn't won a game yet haha.

I saw a replay where the left fielder was throwing it to the relay guy when he was just rounding third, so he would have been toast at home if he was sent. I know both teams have had their fair share of men left on base, but it feels like other than game 5 when the Nationals had 1st and 3rd and no outs, the Astros have failed to take momentum or put the game away when the opportunities were there.

Tonight will be fun and I am optimistic bc our bullpen has shown to be the stronger of the two teams. I'm hoping the bats play small ball like they did in DC and manufacture some runs instead of swinging for the fences and the risk/reward that brings.

We about to find out who wants it more.

Astros had a chance for a big inning there.

So, Josh Hamilton is a pretty big POS allegedly....

Lol just talked about how great umpire had been and then book crappy call lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Man Rendon is a beast

Heck of a game pitched by Greinke tonight. One mistake and Rendon made him pay.

Tying run on first

LETTTTSSSSSSSSS GOOOOOOOO NATS!!!!!!!

That turned quickly.

Well this just escalated quickly

Back