The Official 2019 MLB Thread

I"m a hard ass when it comes to the HOF...think it should be for the elite of the elite. I can't get past the steroid stuff so Bonds and Sosa are DTM (dead to me). I can't remember if Clemens was implicated in that. If so, he's also DTM. If not, he and Jeter are the only two I'd vote for. Some others had really really nice careers but that's not quite good enough in my book.

Clemens was implicated. About as much as Bonds and others that have been voted in and already have plaques in Cooperstown. None ever tested positive nor was there any hard proof or confessions.

Jeter is obviously a lock and certainly should be. No other 1st ballot nominees this year should ever even sniff 75%.

I am not naive enough to think there wasn't some fire that caused all of the smoke around Bonds and Clemens. I do still contend though that they are the best everyday player (that may change to Trout if he stays healthy and keeps producing) and pitcher I have seen in my lifetime and would vote them in.

And I agree that only the elite of the elite should be elected.

Fo
Clemens was implicated. About as much as Bonds and others that have been voted in and already have plaques in Cooperstown. None ever tested positive nor was there any hard proof or confessions.

Jeter is obviously a lock and certainly should be. No other 1st ballot nominees this year should ever even sniff 75%.

I am not naive enough to think there wasn't some fire that caused all of the smoke around Bonds and Clemens. I do still contend though that they are the best everyday player (that may change to Trout if he stays healthy and keeps producing) and pitcher I have seen in my lifetime and would vote them in.

And I agree that only the elite of the elite should be elected.

I would think it will Jeter alone but I would not be shocked by Curt Shilling (highest % of votes of any returnee on ballot) or Larry Walker (10 th and final year).

Also, will be interesting to see if Bonds and Clemens can get more than the 59% they received last year.

Bonds or any of the players found guilty of PEDs should never enter. I think I would put Rose in before they would ever sniff the Hall.

I see that the Yankees released Jacoby Ellsbury and designated Greg Bird for assignment. Don’t know what Ellbury’s buyout was. Guy made tens of millions not playing for the last few years.

Ellsbury getting 26 million as a parting gift from the Yankees.

@mikedean441 Nationals resign Strausburg, 7 years 245 mil.

Bye bye Rendon

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

yup, he gone. Wondering the numbers on him were through the roof. Strausburg is interesting, esp as a Boras guy. Signed that large contract extension before he hit FA, then opts out, and signs on day 1 of the winter meetings. He's like no other Boras client we've come to know.

35m per year for a guy with a history of arm problems who mysteriously had a career year in his contract year. Once again, Scott Boras > MLB owners.

Garret Cole is the 2nd happiest guy around today. If Strausburg gets this deal Cole is going to get paid.

yup, he gone. Wondering the numbers on him were through the roof. Strausburg is interesting, esp as a Boras guy. Signed that large contract extension before he hit FA, then opts out, and signs on day 1 of the winter meetings. He's like no other Boras client we've come to know.
Good observation. The normal Boras playbook is to not let his guys sign early.

Good observation. The normal Boras playbook is to not let his guys sign early.

yup no early signing, no extensions, no hometown discounts.

I assume that Strausburg wanted to sign with Washington all along and this is a great deal. However, Mr. Boras will not have Cole sign anything soon. With Cole, we will likely see the typical Boras approach - get teams to bid against each other and keep them waiting in hope of getting even more money. As long as the Yankees and Angels are involved, that contract will be for 7 or 8 years and in excess of 35 million per year.

Also wasn't $245 the number for Cole? If so I have to think he's gonna ask for more now.

Boras used the Yankees to get the price on Strausburg (even though it was offered to Cole) and now Cole's price will be > $35 million a year

Also wasn't $245 the number for Cole? If so I have to think he's gonna ask for more now.

supposedly. Although depending on where your read, that offer wasn't accurate

How about 9 years $ 300 million. Angels, Dodgers, Yankees bidding it may go higher than that.

Didi to the Phillies @ddec

That’s not a shocker. Too bad though, he was a solid player.
Only $199M in contracts next year they need to spend some more

Cole to the Yankees @ddec

A source has reported 9 years @ $324 Million

Wow Cole got them stacks!!! Unreal

Seemed like for the first time in a while the Yanks didn’t want to back down from getting their guy. But man that’s a lot of money right there and could have some serious implications of the team moving forward in several years.

Seemed like for the first time in a while the Yanks didn’t want to back down from getting their guy. But man that’s a lot of money right there and could have some serious implications of the team moving forward in several years.

I think we knew the contract would be a monster, but good lord that's a lot of $$. As much as we'll miss him, I'm not sure I'm ok paying that much knowing other guys need a payday also.

WOW at the $ the Yankees gave Cole.

The game is certainly alive and well and financially sound with almost $600k guaranteed contracts given to two pitchers over the past few days.

Back