The Official 2019 MLB Thread

That's some insane penalties... don't mess with MLB commish.

You really think so? For the scope of what happened, I think it is pretty minimal.

They essentially won a World Series, due in at least some part, to cheating.

For that they lose:
  • $5 Million (Absolutely nothing to their ownership)
  • 1 Year (Not even full Calendar Year) suspension of GM and Coach
  • 4 Draft Picks
I think they got off really light.

You really think so? For the scope of what happened, I think it is pretty minimal.

For that they lose:
  • 4 Draft Picks
Just not used to seeing penalties like that at least in my lifetime

And Lunhow and Hinch fired... Probably the best option for the Astros to try and save some face.

quick work.

Alex Cora should be next.
Beltran is somehow getting off clean.

Just not used to seeing penalties like that at least in my lifetime

That is fair... Although one could argue there hasn't been anything near this significant in some time.

quick work.

Alex Cora should be next.
Beltran is somehow getting off clean.

Beltran is being treated as a Player, and will not be investigated, which to me is a bit ridiculous.

Cora will be coming soon I have to think.

Beltran is being treated as a Player, and will not be investigated, which to me is a bit ridiculous.

Cora will be coming soon I have to think.

agreed and its an unusual circumstance that a guy who was playing 2 years ago is now a manager. But just the bit I've seen, his name is all over the place.

For that they lose:
  • 4 Draft Picks
I completely agree. At the start of the season if my team was offered the chance to buy a World Series title and that was the price I’d pay it every time.

agreed and its an unusual circumstance that a guy who was playing 2 years ago is now a manager. But just the bit I've seen, his name is all over the place.

Yes, I would place him right behind Cora... and he gets off with nothing

And Lunhow and Hinch fired... Probably the best option for the Astros to try and save some face.
Agreed, detaches the franchise as much as possible from the "incident"

For that they lose:
  • 4 Draft Picks

It's severely light because those 4 draft picks have a much bigger chance of being a no-body than a impact player.

For what it's worth this is the entire list of impact players over the past 20 years the Astros I have drafted in the back half of the 1st RD (where they will be picking next two years) through the entire draft

Lance McCullers Jr. #41
Hunter Pence #64
Ben Zobrist #184
Dallas Keuchel #221
Ramon Laureano #466
Michael Bourn #577
JD Martinez #611

Last edited:

This was the only thing that would even remotely make this right. Sucks because those two are good, but what morons.

The Astros GM and manager get suspended and fired, but had no involvement in the cheating scheme.

No player is punished, although they were executing the cheating scheme.

Curious.

Absolutely had to

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

It's severely light because those 4 draft picks have a much bigger chance of being a no-body than a impact player.

For what it's worth this is the entire list of impact players the Astros I have drafted in the back half of the 1st RD (where they will be picking next two years) through the entire draft

Lance McCullers Jr. #41
Hunter Pence #64
Ben Zobrist #184
Dallas Keuchel #221
Ramon Laureano #466
Michael Bourn #577
JD Martinez #611

I am not sure this list is accurate.. Craig Biggio was a late First Rounder.

Either way, 4 less picks, is 4 less picks in the top two rounds to draft much more likely talent.

The Astros GM and manager get suspended and fired, but had no involvement in the cheating scheme.

No player is punished, although they were executing the cheating scheme.

Curious.

I mean in fairness.. what are the players to do? Say don't bang the trash can while I hit?

I am not sure this list is accurate.. Craig Biggio was a late First Rounder.

Either way, 4 less picks, is 4 less picks in the top two rounds to draft much more likely talent.

Last 20 years, just edited it to reflect that

What a job opportunity for new hires to come in with a ridiculously stacked organization

For what it's worth this is the entire list of impact players over the past 20 years the Astros I have drafted in the back half of the 1st RD (where they will be picking next two years) through the entire draft

Lance McCullers Jr. #41
Hunter Pence #64
Ben Zobrist #184
Dallas Keuchel #221
Ramon Laureano #466
Michael Bourn #577
JD Martinez #611

For what it's worth, the Astros were pretty awful over the past 20 years and more often than not found themselves drafting in the top half of the first round haha.

For what it's worth, the Astros were pretty awful over the past 20 years and more often than not found themselves drafting in the top half of the first round haha.

Agreed, and the Astros, and Lunhow in particular, have established themselves as being phenomenal talent evaluators. This will hurt more than people think.

All reports are pointing to Cora being the next to get canned as manager. I'd like to see some sort of player punishment but probably tough to do that.

Judge is probably furious he lost the 2017 MVP to a cheater like Altuve.

All reports are pointing to Cora being the next to get canned as manager. I'd like to see some sort of player punishment but probably tough to do that.

Judge is probably furious he lost the 2017 MVP to a cheater like Altuve.

They already announced no player punishments. I agree something would have been nice, but not sure what would have been sufficient. Hard to gauge imo

Well ya but even then they still only have Bregman, Correa, Springer (and probably at least two of the three in Whitley, JB and Beer) out of like 45 selections. HUGE bust rate but they hit on those three core guys and rode them to a title. (this is only talking about the top 1st rd draft picks last 20 years)

Oh boy Houston we have a problem!!!

Well ya but even then they still only have Bregman, Correa, Springer (and probably at least two of the three in Whitley, JB and Beer) out of like 45 selections. HUGE bust rate but they hit on those three core guys and rode them to a title. (this is only talking about the top 1st rd draft picks last 20 years)

Dont forget about Folty in ATL

Back