The Official 2019 MLB Thread

Roughly $1 million per start for Cole. That's crazy.

Seemed like for the first time in a while the Yanks didn’t want to back down from getting their guy. But man that’s a lot of money right there and could have some serious implications of the team moving forward in several years.
Don't forget that they have $23 million coming off the books after 2020 as Elsberrys contract ends. In 2021 Tanaka and J A Happ are free agents. In a few years MLB will be working on the contract with the Players Union and the changes may affect the $$ penalties teams will have to pay may change to a lesser amount due to the higher salaries we are seeing since the last agreement. Plus the Yankees must made a $$ deal with Amazon that will line their coffers. So don't worry too much about the poor Yankees and the effect this deal will have on them going forward.

Roughly $1 million per start for Cole. That's crazy.

There are already a hand full of pitchers making that much per start. Not too many make 33 starts a year anymore. But yes it is a lot of money for sure. It will only get worse as each year passes.

Don't forget that they have $23 million coming off the books after 2020 as Elsberrys contract ends. In 2021 Tanaka and J A Happ are free agents. In a few years MLB will be working on the contract with the Players Union and the changes may affect the $$ penalties teams will have to pay may change to a lesser amount due to the higher salaries we are seeing since the last agreement. Plus the Yankees must made a $$ deal with Amazon that will line their coffers. So don't worry too much about the poor Yankees and the effect this deal will have on them going forward.

oh, believe me, it plays money.
But like always guys come off the payroll and those guys need to be replaced by something, and it's not always a cheap minor leaguer. Plus Judge, Torres, Sanchez will need new deals in the near future and those won't be cheap.

oh, believe me, it plays money.
But like always guys come off the payroll and those guys need to be replaced by something, and it's not always a cheap minor leaguer. Plus Judge, Torres, Sanchez will need new deals in the near future and those won't be cheap.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here but I think Judge has career pinstriper written all over him. They will eventually pay him huge (sorry if I sound like a local car dealer) money. I also agree with you regarding the fact that it will not be cheap to replace players coming off the payroll. It's not as if they are going to get lucky and snag a Tauchmann or Urshela every year. And this year, at least until Hicks returns, they need an outfielder who can play center, in addition to likely resigning Gardener. Down the road they have the decisions on Torres and Sanchez. But for a team coming off a 103 win season and then signing the top free agent pitcher and being the prohibitive WS favorite, those are "problems "they can deal with.

Well all that is true, but the Yankees brain trust is aware of this and they went ahead and okayed Cashman to go for it. They needed Cole to make it to the World Series. Plus they won 103 without Cole and had only a few starts from Severino so I think they went after him knowing what they were getting into. They will go way over the $$ threshold and end up playing big bucks in penalty for that. But just remember they are the Yankees and they will always do what they have to in order to get that 28th ring. They have not won since 2009.

Remember a year ago when agents and the union complained about a conspiracy and teams not paying...

Not surprised the Yanks threw down some cheese for Cole-- Now if we stay healthy in 2020 I like our chances.

Remember a year ago when agents and the union complained about a conspiracy and teams not paying...
Yes and Scott Boras was probably the biggest culprit in the slowdown. Notice how he now has his best two players signing very early this year.

Not surprised the Yanks threw down some cheese for Cole-- Now if we stay healthy in 2020 I like our chances.
I'm a Sox fan, but even I like your chances with Cole! He's a horse. If he pitches anything close to what he did in 2019, and everyone else stays pretty healthy, Yanks are now the team to beat in 2020.

Rendon to angels 7 years $245M

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Glad the Angels are finally taking some steps to help Trout.

Rendon to the Angels. 7 years 245 mil. Solid addition for Trout

Well all that is true, but the Yankees brain trust is aware of this and they went ahead and okayed Cashman to go for it. They needed Cole to make it to the World Series. Plus they won 103 without Cole and had only a few starts from Severino so I think they went after him knowing what they were getting into. They will go way over the $$ threshold and end up playing big bucks in penalty for that. But just remember they are the Yankees and they will always do what they have to in order to get that 28th ring. They have not won since 2009.

They are now the prohibitive favorites to win the WS. They added arguably the best pitcher in the game to a team that won 103 games without Severino for a chunk of the season. Anything less than # 28 will be viewed as a disappointing season. WS or bust. Should be an interesting storyline to follow this season.

Porcello to the Mets on a 1 year deal

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Was really hoping to see the Reds keep making moves but that has stalled.

They are now the prohibitive favorites to win the WS. They added arguably the best pitcher in the game to a team that won 103 games without Severino for a chunk of the season. Anything less than # 28 will be viewed as a disappointing season. WS or bust. Should be an interesting storyline to follow this season.

As long as I can remember the goal has always been World Series. If they don't win it or get to it that is a lost season. When I started following them in 1949 they went to the WS from '49 to '64 except two years. 1954 and 59. During that time the Yankees and the Celtics were the most hated teams in sports.

As long as I can remember the goal has always been World Series. If they don't win it or get to it that is a lost season. When I started following them in 1949 they went to the WS from '49 to '64 except two years. 1954 and 59. During that time the Yankees and the Celtics were the most hated teams in sports.

Hate to tell you, but....They still are the most hated!!

That was the time period covered by Peter Golanbock's book Dynasty, subtitled "When Rooting For the Yankees Was Like Rooting For US Steel". I recall reading that many years ago, along with Roger Kahn's The Boys of Summer (about the Brooklyn Dodgers of the late 40s until the move to LA)

Right up there at least with the Patriots and whatever team LeBron James is on.:LOL:

That was true a half dozen years ago, but the Red Sox and the Astros are closely behind right now. Once the Boss passed away the hate has lessened somewhat.

That was true a half dozen years ago, but the Red Sox and the Astros are closely behind right now. Once the Boss passed away the hate has lessened somewhat.
1 title in 20 years will do that. They are good for the game though, I believe.

How true that is, but the fact that the Yankees had the best record in the last decade in the Majors still caused some vitriol from many Sox fans.

Back