The Official 2020 - 2021 NHL and Everything Hockey Thread

And I think Columbus had a few good years too but its time to blow it up because the players here just weren't cutting it. I have nothing against Toronto. It's a nice city and I wanted them to go far this year. I thought they had a good shot to go far.
Was it the players though? Other teams sure seem pretty keen on picking up guys from Columbus.

Was it the players though? Other teams sure seem pretty keen on picking up guys from Columbus.
We have/had decent role players but no really elite players except for a couple. Those role guys have been good pick ups to fill their roles. I thought Foligno was a good fit for Toronto.

allowing Panarin to leave for nothing was a bad move since we all knew he was dead set on a major city like NYC. Refusing to give Bobrovsky 10 million a year was an extremely smart move if you’ve seen his play in Florida.

Frankly Columbus has never been bad enough to win The lottery. They went on a winning streak to blow their opportunity for MacKinnon. Pittsburgh got “lucky” in the draw they did for draft position after the lockout. 20+ years of never really developing a superstar for several reasons is the issue. In the post-Torts world we’ll see a much different team and hopefully for the better.

I was a Nordiques fan until they went to Colorado. Joe Sakic is my favourite player… But ever since,

Same here. Not sure why I latched on to the Nords, but I did. And for a while Sakic was my favorite play - I had a '96 All Star, Nordiques and Avalanche Center Ice jersey at one point or another.

Partly because the North Stars left us when I was about 12yo...I was a fan of the Avalanche and rooted them on to their first Cup in '96. Even wore a Sakic authentic to one of the first games when the Avs came to town to play the Wild in 2000.

Since, I have kind of been explicitly a Wild fan. Though in a lot of ways I'm like Scrap Iron - I like most teams in some ways.

I grew up as a Bruins fan. I’m old enough to remember the 70 and 72 Cups and # 4 Bobby Orr. Now I’m a Lightning Fan. My daughter lives in Tampa within walking distance to the arena and I have been attending Lightning games since 2018. Will be going to three games in the upcoming season.

bandwagon
noun, often attributive

band·wag·on | \ ˈband-ˌwa-gən \
Definition of bandwagon

1: a usually ornate and high wagon for a band of musicians especially in a circus parade
2: a popular party, faction, or cause that attracts growing support —often used in such phrases as jump on the bandwagon
3: a current or fashionable trend

You seemed to be supportive a couple of years ago when they were in the playoffs but now they rebuild and blow up their core that just wasn't good enough to get the job done and you trash them, laugh at them and claim you never cheered for them when they need to start over. That sounds like jumping off the bandwagon to me.
Lmao, you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. I’ve watched the majority of their games since their inception. I was part of their big social media contingent including as a leader through blogging and Twitter. I’ve watched them draft decent players like Jake only to trade them to a team for a guy who wanted nothing to do with being a blue jacket. I was watching when they drafted Nash, watching when Nash gave up playing a two way game, and watching when he wanted out. I was at their very first playoff game. I was there when Steve Mason took the brunt of the fan ire, and there when Joey was in and out of favor. I was there when they overvalued guys like Dorsett and when they didn’t protect Karlsson. Methot still might be my favorite guy to put on the jersey. I’ve sat in the offices with their digital team plenty of times.

just because someone gets fed up with the direction of a team doesn’t mean they are a bandwagon fan. I’m not big on making assumptions but I’m pretty confident I’ve invested more time into the team than you have. If you don’t like when I bash bad decisions and bad records, you’re clearly a gluten for punishment. Losing sucks. Not growing as a franchise sucks. Tolerating it as a fan, sucks.

Predicting another year of missed playoffs for the Buffalo Sabres. Seeing Reinhart go really hurt

Lmao, you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. I’ve watched the majority of their games since their inception. I was part of their big social media contingent including as a leader through blogging and Twitter. I’ve watched them draft decent players like Jake only to trade them to a team for a guy who wanted nothing to do with being a blue jacket. I was watching when they drafted Nash, watching when Nash gave up playing a two way game, and watching when he wanted out. I was at their very first playoff game. I was there when Steve Mason took the brunt of the fan ire, and there when Joey was in and out of favor. I was there when they overvalued guys like Dorsett and when they didn’t protect Karlsson. Methot still might be my favorite guy to put on the jersey. I’ve sat in the offices with their digital team plenty of times.

just because someone gets fed up with the direction of a team doesn’t mean they are a bandwagon fan. I’m not big on making assumptions but I’m pretty confident I’ve invested more time into the team than you have. If you don’t like when I bash bad decisions and bad records, you’re clearly a gluten for punishment. Losing sucks. Not growing as a franchise sucks. Tolerating it as a fan, sucks.

I'm going to call the bold false. I've been there for all that you mentioned and probably more as well.

Losing does suck but I'm not going running to another team. Perhaps fairweather fan is a better term if you don't like bandwagon. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment but g*d damn it Columbus is my city and my team and has been since June 25th, 1997 when the team was award to the city.

Of course I question decisions the team makes and I don't blindly lap up their ineptitude in the past. Doug Maclean ruined the first decade of this team. Jarmo has ruined the last 2. I've been at every home playoff game except for 1. I've felt the building seem like it was going to cave in from the noise when Nick Foligno scored for their first home playoff victory in OT. I've seen what happens when this team does well. I also see so many people just disappear and act like they don't care when things are mediocre. IMO being a fan of a team is being there for the good and the bad. We are all allowed to complain about it but I'm not running off to join the bandwagon of another team.

I'm going to call the bold false. I've been there for all that you mentioned and probably more as well.

Losing does suck but I'm not going running to another team. Perhaps fairweather fan is a better term if you don't like bandwagon. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment but g*d damn it Columbus is my city and my team and has been since June 25th, 1997 when the team was award to the city.

Of course I question decisions the team makes and I don't blindly lap up their ineptitude in the past. Doug Maclean ruined the first decade of this team. Jarmo has ruined the last 2. I've been at every home playoff game except for 1. I've felt the building seem like it was going to cave in from the noise when Nick Foligno scored for their first home playoff victory in OT. I've seen what happens when this team does well. I also see so many people just disappear and act like they don't care when things are mediocre. IMO being a fan of a team is being there for the good and the bad. We are all allowed to complain about it but I'm not running off to join the bandwagon of another team.
Yeah. One joking comment about swapping to a team I’ve never rooted for is absolutely worth calling someone out on their commitment to the team lmao. Give me a break.

Yeah. One joking comment about swapping to a team I’ve never rooted for is absolutely worth calling someone out on their commitment to the team lmao. Give me a break.
And I probably shouldn't drunk post on whiskey late on a Saturday night yet here we are. I clearly appear to have taken some things out of context. If so, my bad and I apologize.

And I probably shouldn't drunk post on whiskey late on a Saturday night yet here we are. I clearly appear to have taken some things out of context. If so, my bad and I apologize.
We’ve all been there hahahaha

nothing would make me happier in hockey than seeing Columbus right the ship. It felt more like an insult to trade for Jake considering most didn’t want him gone. He had had a solid career, in the wrong city.

We’ve all been there hahahaha

nothing would make me happier in hockey than seeing Columbus right the ship. It felt more like an insult to trade for Jake considering most didn’t want him gone. He had had a solid career, in the wrong city.
Absolutely. I'm glad he's back. He's the one draft pick I wish we'd never traded and its not just because of Jeff Carter. That being said, he may never have gotten to do what he has done if he stayed here. I know they time he spent with Jagr in Philly was huge for his development. I think he's truly happy to be back since he still has friends here like Nash, Boll and Derek Dorsett. we need a cheap center for a couple of year as well, maybe they should finally bring back Derrick Brassard too

I know he's a year or 2 away but I also like the acquisition of Cole Sillinger with the Blackhawks draft pick. I know Mike played for 1/2 the league in his career but he seems ecstatic his son got drafted by Columbus. He might end up being the best pick of all of them in this draft. I think there is hope the future is bright with these draft picks and some other prospects as long as they do it right.

I'm still not sure on Larsen as the head coach. It could go 1 of 2 ways in my opinion. Either he's terrible and we suck bad enough to get more top prospects in next year's deeper draft or he works wonders with the young players that failed under torts and the rebuild happens quicker. Considering Boqvist and Bean being added to the defense it does seem that we will be be more offensive in nature. We'll just need to see what free agency brings since I feel like at least a couple of signings happen.

Sad to see Garland going to Vancouver. I was hoping the Avs could steal him away from the bumbling Coyotes. He was the only guy who played hard on that team IMO. At least now the Avs get them as fodder in the Central this coming season.

Avs sign Landeskog for 8 years! Supposedly 8x$7M. Back end of deal will not look good but the top line is set for quite some time.

Vegas trades Vezina Trophy winning Goalie Marc -Andre Fleury to Chicago.

Ovi signs 5 year extrnsion. He's going to spend his entire career in Wash. Nothing I love more than when an athlete and franchise remain loyal to each other.

Avs sign Landeskog for 8 years! Supposedly 8x$7M. Back end of deal will not look good but the top line is set for quite some time.

Kraken sign Avs Goalie Phillipp Grubauer to a 6 year deal. Who does that leave in net for the Avs?

The Wild are signing a bunch of journeymen. Get rid of Suter, then bring in Goligoski...that makes sense.

I would say they're going to be trash as usual next year, but then they will fight just hard enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to get a good draft pick.

the is the annual drunken GM feeding frenzy. When they wake up, they will hold their heads down in a walk of shame. I mean Devils giving Hamilton 9Mill. yikes.

the is the annual drunken GM feeding frenzy. When they wake up, they will hold their heads down in a walk of shame. I mean Devils giving Hamilton 9Mill. yikes.
Yes. I guess that's the way the NHLPA have structured it - so a guy like Goligoski will get PAAAIIIID.

I am all for these guys making as much as they can from these UBER-wealthy owners (who are profiting on their sweat and putting their lives on the line), and that's the way the market is structured. So it is what it is.

The way that I look at it is that there’s a salary cap. It’s better for the players if the teams spend as much as they can within that system. But it does, as with all sports, result in some very perplexing contracts. Can’t blame the players for taking the money.

no no. misunderstood my comment. I don't fault the players getting the cash. If they can get it, good for them. Just scratching my head at the GMs. A cap needs to be planned out in the long term. can view it in the short term. when you give very good (but not superstars) 9 mill till they are 35-36 yrs old, then when your true superstars are due the cash, while you can give it to them, it prevents you from surrounding those superstars with a bunch of solid players. I'm not a Devils fan, so I don't care. Just an observation.

no no. misunderstood my comment. I don't fault the players getting the cash. If they can get it, good for them. Just scratching my head at the GMs. A cap needs to be planned out in the long term. can view it in the short term. when you give very good (but not superstars) 9 mill till they are 35-36 yrs old, then when your true superstars are due the cash, while you can give it to them, it prevents you from surrounding those superstars with a bunch of solid players. I'm not a Devils fan, so I don't care. Just an observation.

I hear what you were saying. I get it.

I just think it's what the market will bear...the NHLPA probably have done a good job so that their players (like Mats Zuccarello, for example) can get 6x$6million dollar contracts. Good for them.

Are they worth it? I don't know, but I'd rather they get the money than the owners (who always claim they don't make much, which I don't know that I believe).

the players do get the money. its how its spread out. if 1 gets more than he's worth, someone has to get less than they are worth. its a zero sum game for the players. At the end of the day 81mill per team went to the players. A good GM will try to spend wisely, so he can get good players to field his team, as opposed to the scraps on the bottom since he overspent on players that were not worth it.

Back