The Official 2023 - 2024 NHL and Everything Hockey Thread

Well hot damn dude...That's about as close as an answer that is going to come out.
This is horrible and hysterical at the same time.

More smoke but still the reason for it isn't known. Like the INSANE uproar when the lip reading experts tried to go after Zegras last year...
No matter what the reason, the rumors will always remain.

This is horrible and hysterical at the same time.
Well described!

The Blackhawks are in a "No Win" situation haunted by their past and having this land in their lap.
They knew Perry was a little "Sketchy" as a human being but signed him anyways.

I do think they did right so far:
Heard the allegation
Suspend the player until a investigation could be done.
Confirmed the allegation and released the player.

Unacceptable conduct in violation of internal policies intended to promote a professional and safe work environment. Lots to digest in that official explanation.

I feel bad for Connor Bedard. 18 year old kid who worked hard to get he where he is and now he has to deal with this ( if it is true). Reading the Blackhawks statement about terminating his contract i would be interested in seeing the language in the contract and how it applies to whatever is being alleged Perry did. What a bad situation.

I feel bad for Connor Bedard. 18 year old kid who worked hard to get he where he is and now he has to deal with this ( if it is true). Reading the Blackhawks statement about terminating his contract i would be interested in seeing the language in the contract and how it applies to whatever is being alleged Perry did. What a bad situation.
Can't imagine it wasn't something solid in his contract knowing that the NHL Players Union would object to his contract being terminated.
I mean, he's not just being released with pay, he's being terminated.
Please tell me someone in the BH Org made sure their A$$ was covered before terminating him.

Last edited:
Can't imagine it wasn't something solid in his contract knowing that the NHL Players Union would object to his contract being terminated.
I mean, he's just being released with pay, he's be terminated.
Please tell me someone in the BH Org made sure their A$$ was covered before terminating him.
There is no possible way the union can gripe over a player getting canned for this. None, when the actions committed involve another player.

I'm pretty sure hooking up with Bedard's mom isn't worth contract termination. This has got to be something bigger than that.

I'm pretty sure hooking up with Bedard's mom isn't worth contract termination. This has got to be something bigger than that.
Uhhhh the absolute no doubt cornerstone building piece in Bedard...if that's all it is, he would be off any team. Not saying that's even what it ends up being but it's absolutely grounds for contract termination

Uhhhh the absolute no doubt cornerstone building piece in Bedard...if that's all it is, he would be off any team.
I mean he is arguably the best prospect we have seen in decades.
Crosby perhaps, as he was just under 19 years old.

Uhhhh the absolute no doubt cornerstone building piece in Bedard...if that's all it is, he would be off any team.
I think there are some assumptions here without knowing the real facts.

Hypothetically if there was consensual contact between Perry and the Mom, what is the grounds for termination in an NHL contract?

If he tried to hit on her and made her uncomfortable. Creepy but still not sure that is worthy of contract termination. Nothing illegal has happened here.

Physically forced himself upon her? Then yes worthy of termination AND legal action that would be public.

That is why I think the rumors are false and it is something else.

Hypothetically if there was consensual contact between Perry and the Mom, what is the grounds for termination in an NHL contract?

If he tried to hit on her and made her uncomfortable. Creepy but still not sure that is worthy of contract termination. Nothing illegal has happened here.

Physically forced himself upon her? Then yes worthy of termination AND legal action that would be public.

Banging another players Mom is perfectly fine?
Conduct detrimental does not have to be illegal.

I'm not saying we know all the facts. Obviously no one does since I was just defending Perry last page. But I guarantee that something doesn't have to be illegal to terminate a contract

And that's saying a lot for me to defend the trash organization that is the Blackhawks

Perry meeting Zack Wilson for the first time.

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

I'm not saying its fine but unless it happened in the locker room in front of the rest of the team where do the Blackhawks come into the picture of entering their personal lives? I'm pretty sure lots of NHL players could get their contracts voided if that is the case.

is there a contract clause for this? I'm no attorney but there has to be some parameter for "detrimental conduct" that makes it acceptable to get past the player's union.

A few years ago Brandon Dubinsky got sent home from a Blue Jackets trip to Vegas because of "something" that happened there. Shortly after he was placed on LTIR for the rest of his career due to a wrist issue. There was no attempt to terminate his contract over whatever happened there. I feel like it has to be pretty substantial and fairly cut and dry to warrant contact termination. Bringing moral issues but technically legal into it can make it iffy depending on the circumstances.

I'm not saying its fine but unless it happened in the locker room in front of the rest of the team where do the Blackhawks come into the picture of entering their personal lives? I'm pretty sure lots of NHL players could get their contracts voided if that is the case.

is there a contract clause for this? I'm no attorney but there has to be some parameter for "detrimental conduct" that makes it acceptable to get past the player's union.

A few years ago Brandon Dubinsky got sent home from a Blue Jackets trip to Vegas because of "something" that happened there. Shortly after he was placed on LTIR for the rest of his career due to a wrist issue. There was no attempt to terminate his contract over whatever happened there. I feel like it has to be pretty substantial and fairly cut and dry to warrant contact termination. Bringing moral issues but technically legal into it can make it iffy depending on the circumstances.

You are brought in to mentor the future of a franchise and instead bang his mom and that is considered "entering personal lives".

I could not disagree with this any more honestly. I can't imagine a single franchise in any professional sport being okay with this and not cutting bait immediately.

If thats what happened it absolutely is detrimental to the team and to Connor Bedard. Connor Bedards mom , if it was consensual contributed to it which is also awful but in any event Connor Bedard ( if this is true ) is an innocent victim in all lf this and the Blackhawks had to do this , for his well being as well as that of the team. What messed up situation.

You are brought in to mentor the future of a franchise and instead bang his mom and that is considered "entering personal lives".

I could not disagree with this any more honestly. I can't imagine a single franchise in any professional sport being okay with this and not cutting bait immediately.
I'm not saying it isn't wrong IF it is what happened. I'm just not sure how it is grounds worthy to terminate a contract for a player.

You want him away from the team fine, but I don't see where they can just stop paying him IF the rumor is truly what happened. Waive him, trade him, send him to the minors, suspend him, do whatever. I would just be curious to know what specific contact clause says banging a teammate's mom is ironclad enough they can get out of paying a 4 million dollar salary and not having to negotiate any sort of settlement.

I still believe it is something else.

Such a crazy situation. Go figure it would involve the Blackhawks

All I'm going to say is, I remember when Phil Kessel wasn't available for a few games as a Bruin and then the team announced he would be away. Some folks in Boston who should know better started floating that they "heard" it was due to substance abuse issues, and then it turned out to be a cancer diagnosis and he needed treatment immediately. So, something not even close to what all the online rumors were.

I'm not saying it isn't wrong IF it is what happened. I'm just not sure how it is grounds worthy to terminate a contract for a player.

You want him away from the team fine, but I don't see where they can just stop paying him IF the rumor is truly what happened. Waive him, trade him, send him to the minors, suspend him, do whatever. I would just be curious to know what specific contact clause says banging a teammate's mom is ironclad enough they can get out of paying a 4 million dollar salary and not having to negotiate any sort of settlement.

I still believe it is something else.
It will come down to Perry deciding he wants to contest this. That will be interesting. Im guessing Chicagos Lawyers took a good look at whatever he allegedly did and determined they are within their rights to terminate the contract. Ultimately if the actual facts ever come out it will be interesting to see if it was just the act of a consensual relationship with another players ( 20 years younger than him ) mother or if there is more and other bad conduct.

All I'm going to say is, I remember when Phil Kessel wasn't available for a few games as a Bruin and then the team announced he would be away. Some folks in Boston who should know better started floating that they "heard" it was due to substance abuse issues, and then it turned out to be a cancer diagnosis and he needed treatment immediately. So, something not even close to what all the online rumors were.
This is a great take and one that is hard with the internet the way it is today. But this one had an investigation by the Blackhawks done, so it almost certainly isn't the same type of situation, regardless of current rumors

This is a great take and one that is hard with the internet the way it is today. But this one had an investigation by the Blackhawks done so it almost certainly isn't the same type of situation, regardless of current rumors
I'm sure it's not the same type of situation either, just making the point that online rumors are just that - rumors. Uninformed speculation just makes things worse. Especially when the rumors involve other people who may or may not be completely blameless and not even involved. But that's the internet - say what you want from behind your screen with an anonymized name and who cares what happens, right?

Why have common sense when you can have wild speculation? I’m half kidding there. I think this is a completely different situation given the fact his contract is being terminated. That doesn’t happen lightly.

Well the GM is having a Press Conference at 4:00 CST so let's hope this gets "Less Cloudy" .

Back