The Official Banter Away Thread

I think about that every time I pay with my Delta Skymiles AMEX. Wish they had a non-AMEX option. But I also feel like vendors should factor CC fees into cost of business and roll that into base pricing, not charge a separate fee on top.
The problem I deal with, in my retail side of life, is that all prices are posted on manufacturers websites as MSRP. So, if I am selling a bike and it's $1,000, if I tack that processing fee and work it in to the price, I will get questioned why my price is different than the price listed by the manufacturer...and then they will just order online and save a few bucks.

I think I am one of the last individuals that carries cash. Always have at least $100 on me.
Something I picked up from my pops, always have a little cash on you. I generally have at least $100 on me at all times.

Something I picked up from my pops, always have a little cash on you. I generally have at least $100 on me at all times.
Same. My Dad always told me to grab $100 from an ATM on Sunday, and use that cash for impulse purchases or something that isnt planned (like groceries, etc) for the entire week. As you see it dwindling, you get more hesitant to use it. It's a visualization thing vs just swiping a credit card.

Same. My Dad always told me to grab $100 from an ATM on Sunday, and use that cash for impulse purchases or something that isnt planned (like groceries, etc) for the entire week. As you see it dwindling, you get more hesitant to use it. It's a visualization thing vs just swiping a credit card.
That makes a lot more sense than mine. Mine was more tinfoil hat, what happens if the banking infrastructure crashes and you don't have access to your savings/checking accounts $$.

That makes a lot more sense than mine. Mine was more tinfoil hat, what happens if the banking infrastructure crashes and you don't have access to your savings/checking accounts $$.
Well, that's a good reason too. Lol.

When the wife I shop and ask what the seller can do if we paid cash, they usually give us the sale tax %.
So if the couch is $2999.99, that's what we wire to them. They usually then give us free delivery but ask us to tip the delivery guys. So we do that.
We do it on all of our bigger purchases except cars & house.
My county is 6.75% & believe Cleveland is at 8%.
Works for us.

I don't ever have to deal with this so my opinion is probably not informed, but I don't know that I'd discount a thing. Your prices are your prices, and you set them based on everything not just that one transaction. As a consumer, I don't expect to pay less at the grocery store because I used cash versus swiping my debit card, so wouldn't be any different here.
I know contractors will sometimes do it, and I get that - they can pocket the money without having to report it as income or pay taxes on it. But for a business where those transactions are going to show up and be tracked regardless, I don't see any benefit (for them) for a cash discount.

What a 48 hrs it’s been. Tuesday fly out for work and based on what I’m doing I don’t get to bed until 3am. Up at 6am to finish off the job and then on a plane back at 4pm yesterday. I land and my phone is blowing up. My wife is in the ER with what we think is apendicitis. I rush home settle the girls and go to her. Sure enough emergency appendectomy needed and that happened around 10pm last night. Waited for post op stuff to finish and settle her in before coming home to grab a little sleep but up at 4 to start my day.

She’ll be home today and I’m glad it was as much a routine procedure as it could have been but man I’m gassed right now and coffee is my friend. Hug your loved ones THP bc life flips on a dime and notice isn’t given.
Glad to hear your wife is OK and on the mend, Mike!

If you were giving a cash discount to a customer what percentage should that be? I have a customer who always balks at the price of the job and asks for a cash price and I'm undecided. I like cash but its kind of annoying because he asks every time until he started paying by check and I'm annoyed. I'm tempted to start jacking up the price so I get what I want for the job in the first place.
I was going to ask to up the price to maybe offset any losses? not sure if that is feasible but with a "cash price" or discount I would say 3-5 percent makes sense.

What a 48 hrs it’s been. Tuesday fly out for work and based on what I’m doing I don’t get to bed until 3am. Up at 6am to finish off the job and then on a plane back at 4pm yesterday. I land and my phone is blowing up. My wife is in the ER with what we think is apendicitis. I rush home settle the girls and go to her. Sure enough emergency appendectomy needed and that happened around 10pm last night. Waited for post op stuff to finish and settle her in before coming home to grab a little sleep but up at 4 to start my day.

She’ll be home today and I’m glad it was as much a routine procedure as it could have been but man I’m gassed right now and coffee is my friend. Hug your loved ones THP bc life flips on a dime and notice isn’t given.
Wow, Mike. Glad everything turned out o.k. but that's scary stuff. Got your family in my thoughts, brother.

Back