The Official Banter Away Thread

@YukonLiving I got a taste of those temps one weekend... it was back in 1989, late January to early February in Mountain Home Idaho. The Siberian Express visited and temps dropped to below zero. At one point it was forecast to be -65 F with wind chill. Prior to that temp, leadership had us working out on the flightline... we were maintaing F-111's at the time. It was cold. Once the winds really kicked up and the wind chill rose, they pulled us off the line and sent us home. It was a miserable weekend for me.

I decided after that weekend that cold temperatures were something that I wanted no part of. That's why I live in the South.:D

We only had -5°C this morning, but the drive to the vaccine clinic location was probably the sketchiest one I have had up to now

Back at the office this afternoon, but just looked out of the window and it is a blizzard out there again, so who knows how long it will take to get home when I leave in an hour or so

I couldn't tell you why that poem has stuck with me all these years, but here we are.
I can just about recite it by memory... We got extra credit in school if we could memorize it... funny what sticks with you, eh?

It’s not as bad as some of you all’s weather, but for OK this time of year, this effing sucks.

3B2A5D9C-2EB7-47EE-83CA-1D71A476A1B2.png

Negative Covid test!!! :bananadance:
Now have dr appointment tomorrow morning to figure out the chest pains and make sure there are no issues.

Indeed it is. You couldn't see my tongue in my cheek. Sorry if I elevated your blood pressure.

Nothing like that. I'm just a fan of physics, and knew that was not the case.

It’s not as bad as some of you all’s weather, but for OK this time of year, this effing sucks.

View attachment 8992813
It’s all relative though! If we suddenly had consistent 90* days in the summer, I’d probably say the same thing!

This is not a rant, but rather a banter. I apologize in advance if it comes across as a rant; that is not my intention.

I had my suspicions, but I received some news today at work that has me confused to say the least. To be fair, I can honestly say that the company I work for has been more than fair to me but on the flip side they also get more than an honest day's work the majority of the time. I have been there for 14 years this month. I have used my own vehicle, and am reimbursed mileage. I purchased a new truck back in October and have already accumulated roughly 10,000 kms in a short 4 months strictly for work purposes.

They hired a new recruit who started last Monday with the intention of having him do the same job as me, only for a different territory. I met him for the first time yesterday, and noticed that he drove a small four-door car. In the service/support role, I thought to myself how he was going to fit a six-foot stepladder in said car. I found out from a co-worker today how that was going to be accomplished: the company has purchased a brand new pickup truck for him to drive. This could have been negotiated as part of his compensation package, his salary could be adjusted to reflect this, I'm not privy to that information.

I'm not going to jump to any conclusions. I am taking the advice of a close friend who pointed out that they are probably looking at the steps necessary to expand the business, and as a result are not focused on the people and resources that got them there. Once things settle down my hope would be that any "corrections" necessary would be taken. I just found it quite interesting that such a substantial decision would be made so quickly; the normal MO for the company is to make most decisions reactionary as opposed to proactively. Maybe it's a sign of things to come, I just don't know.

It’s all relative though! If we suddenly had consistent 90* days in the summer, I’d probably say the same thing!

I’d take the 90 degrees any day!

I’d take the 90 degrees any day!
See?! Relative!

I would NOT want 90 degrees on a daily basis! I need some 70 degree reprieve from heat.

Ughhh not this crap again
20210211_070818.jpg

You know, living in Florida all my life I never understood all the winter drinking, but now that we live in a colder climate (I know not nearly as cold as the northeast, but still cold for us), I totally get it. The alcohol warms you from the inside and get's that chill out of your bones.

You know, living in Florida all my life I never understood all the winter drinking, but now that we live in a colder climate (I know not nearly as cold as the northeast, but still cold for us), I totally get it. The alcohol warms you from the inside and get's that chill out of your bones.
Yep nailed it. I drink waaaaay more wine and bourbon during the winter months than I do the rest of the year! Its so dang cold. Also tend to eat a lot more too :ROFLMAO:

Our high temps are over 100°F (38°C) pretty much every day from early/mid-May (depending on the year) until at least late September. Last year, our first day over 100° was April 25th, and our last was October 14th. In that entire 172 day stretch, there were a total of 37 days we didn't break 100 degrees. The lowest daytime high in that stretch was 83°, and the highest was 122° (on July 31st). From July 1 to September 7, our lowest nighttime low temperature was 81 degrees (27°C).

I'm ready for it to cool down by the end of summer - you do eventually get a little tired of perpetually drowning in sweat and getting burned any time you touch anything metal - but the first morning I walk outside and feel the slightest chill, I'm already counting the days until the hot weather comes back! I'll gladly endure six months of heat rather than even one month of icy cold. 🥶

How do you northerners deal with this **** for months on end?

I'm gong to answer this honestly. All I can come up with it is increased daylight and more direct sun makes it more bearable. And, to expound on that, in Upstate NY, we don't tend to get that much sunshine from November to March. In the list of America's cities with the least amount of winter sunshine, 3 are in upstate NY (Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse).

In normal years, I would be in Florida at least twice during the winter. Not this year.

Back