The Official Banter Away Thread

The worst is when it’s heavy enough to coat tree branches and snap them. Late fall ice is the worst when the leaves are still on the trees. 😖 Power outages for days.

That's what's being reported now, some power outages. Our power lines are underground so I am hoping that helps us keep power. Fortunately, we have a gas fireplace and stove, so at least for warmth and cooking we should be good.

3-6" of snow coming today, topped by about 0.1" of ice just in time for my trip to a doctor's appointment that has already been rescheduled three times.

3-6" of snow coming today, topped by about 0.1" of ice just in time for my trip to a doctor's appointment that has already been rescheduled three times.

This forecast keeps changing. Variety of crap (snow, sleet, freezing rain). I’m not going anywhere so it’s not bad for me.

This forecast keeps changing. Variety of crap (snow, sleet, freezing rain). I’m not going anywhere so it’s not bad for me.

When it's snow changing to sleet/freezing rain, I try to wait for the storm to pass before I shovel/blow. Gets rid of the ice that way.

We stayed above freezing all night -- it's up to 35*F now! -- but the rain and thunder has just started and the cold air is coming.

1000' above us, it's in the 50s.

This is new for me, I have never seen ice like this before. I am find with snow, this is a whole different animal.
Snow is not even close to being as bad as ice or black ice. Even around here where people know how it can get they still go down on slippery sidewalks. The really bad thing is ice or black ice on the roads. Even people around here even though they be should be used to it dont realize how bad and slippery it is until the first time they apply their brakes and are at stop sign or red light or just trying to stop. They start sliding and dont know how to react. Just an awful feeling. The other problem is as well as you handle it your always at risk of someone else sliding into you. I know there are many people here who have dealt with it based on where they live and im sure we would all say its best to avoid those conditions for a lot of reasons. Im sure you will be fine but just be super careful if you drive and when you know you have to stop assume even if its not visible there is black ice, slow way down and allow a lot of room to slow down and gradually stop. Lol that is based on years of experience and some close calls.

Snow is not even close to being as bad as ice or black ice. Even around here where people know how it can get they still go down on slippery sidewalks. The really bad thing is ice or black ice on the roads. Even people around here even though they be should be used to it dont realize how bad and slippery it is until the first time they apply their brakes and are at stop sign or red light or just trying to stop. They start sliding and dont know how to react. Just an awful feeling. The other problem is as well as you handle it your always at risk of someone else sliding into you. I know there are many people here who have dealt with it based on where they live and im sure we would all say its best to avoid those conditions for a lot of reasons. Im sure you will be fine but just be super careful if you drive and when you know you have to stop assume even if its not visible there is black ice, slow way down and allow a lot of room to slow down and gradually stop. Lol that is based on years of experience and some close calls.

I am not leaving my house, not unless I put on some ice skates to get where I need to go.

It's warming up, we are up to -7 feels like -24.

Driving through a snow storm other day. Road is covered in snow so knowledge of where the lanes are is not exact...See a car way up ahead with hazards on....OK That kinda tells me he's in the right lane....As I am approaching at about 55 in a 65 zone....The dude is in the left lane doing about 35....Wow, just wow. Get off the road......

This guy might need the Car Shopping Thread this morning:

i have had this happen to me in a front wheel drive car with four winter tires. It's a helpless feeling. I was glad I wore the brown pants that day.

Ugh, now the news is saying our 2-4" of snow is probably not going to happen and instead we are looking at .2" per hour of ice.
And that is the difference between TN and OH in regards to winter. We get the snow. You guys get the ice. Ill take the snow all day long over any ice. You can drive in the snow. Ice is just paralyzing. Be careful please!

And that is the difference between TN and OH in regards to winter. We get the snow. You guys get the ice. Ill take the snow all day long over any ice. You can drive in the snow. Ice is just paralyzing. Be careful please!

No one told me about this when we were looking to move here. I feel like I got duped. I was told we would get a few days of snow, instead we get no snow and ice, not cool.

We aren't going anywhere, we are firmly parked in the house until this passes. We should finally see temps above freezing by Wednesday.

My wife was nice enough to buy me one of those UV lights that are supposed to help with seasonal depression. We'll see how it goes. My preference would be to just move somewhere warmer. But that's a bit more of a project.

Cleveland and much of Ohio surprisingly gets more snow than we do in Minneapolis(only 14.5 days with snowfall each year on average). It's that lake effect thing that brings it to all the states east and south of the Great Lakes. We've only had about 6 days this year where I felt like AWD/4WD was even necessary and two of those were in October. The very cold weather we have had this month means a lot of sunshine here.

No one told me about this when we were looking to move here. I feel like I got duped. I was told we would get a few days of snow, instead we get no snow and ice, not cool.

We aren't going anywhere, we are firmly parked in the house until this passes. We should finally see temps above freezing by Wednesday.

Its basically anywhere north of the middle of GA up to the OH line. Ice is noooooooo joke and extremely dangerous. Snow sucks, but ice is just bad bad bad bad. Just be careful, at least it melts fairly quickly down there.

Ice is not very common here. Similar to TX right now.
@Canadan agrees on OH weather.

Cleveland and much of Ohio surprisingly gets more snow than we do in Minneapolis. It's that lake effect thing. We've only had about 6 days this year where I felt like AWD/4WD was even necessary and two of those were in October. The very cold weather we have had this month means a lot of sunshine here.
Yup. It all depends on the wind and if the lake is frozen. It the wind is even slightly out of the north and the lake isnt frozen, we will get absolutely dumped on. Ironically, if the lake is frozen (as much of it is now) its just bitterly cold and only a little snow. That being said I feel like weve had snow on the ground here for nearly 2 -2 1/2 months.

Also, the further east you live near the lake in NE Ohio, the more gets dumped on you. Much like Buffalo. The wind blows west to east and clips the lake. This is why I live west and south of the city lol

Its basically anywhere north of the middle of GA up to the OH line. Ice is noooooooo joke and extremely dangerous. Snow sucks, but ice is just bad bad bad bad. Just be careful, at least it melts fairly quickly down there.

It's going to be a while before it melts...

IMG_6756.jpg

Cleveland and much of Ohio surprisingly gets more snow than we do in Minneapolis(only 14.5 days with snowfall each year on average). It's that lake effect thing that brings it to all the states east and south of the Great Lakes. We've only had about 6 days this year where I felt like AWD/4WD was even necessary and two of those were in October. The very cold weather we have had this month means a lot of sunshine here.

In addition to snow, the lake effect brings an abundance of cloudy weather during the winter. Not surprisingly, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse are among the cities that receive the least amount of sunshine in the winter.

And now it's snowing. :mad:

So... We got our taxes done yesterday. Have a decent refund coming. Said, jokingly, to my loving wife "Gee, with ``my half`` of that refund, added to what I already have, I'll have way more than enough for new irons this coming season." "You sure will," she replied.

o_O

Back