The Official Banter Away Thread

Duffer Waldorf

Team Paradise Walk-On
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
9.0 GHIN
Today was the coldest Mardi Gras in history -- the high temperature was only 32*F at the New Orleans airport, breaking the 'record' of 38*F back in 1899.

Tomorrow, we have severe weather threats.

MattyD-MPLS

Captain for The 2021 Grandaddy
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Today was the coldest Mardi Gras in history -- the high temperature was only 32*F at the New Orleans airport, breaking the 'record' of 38*F back in 1899.

Tomorrow, we have severe weather threats.
It seems like the whole country is in a freezer! Stay safe brother!

Duffer Waldorf

Team Paradise Walk-On
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
9.0 GHIN
It seems like the whole country is in a freezer! Stay safe brother!
I don't see how y'all do it up there. Temps at the house here ranged from 21-36 today, but our heater has been actively running for almost 10 hrs already today, according to the thermostat. And it still feels cold in here.

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I don't see how y'all do it up there. Temps at the house here ranged from 21-36 today, but our heater has been actively running for almost 10 hrs already today, according to the thermostat. And it still feels cold in here.
The winter gas bill has been an adjustment for me for sure. Normally winter in Florida is dirt cheap electric bills, but here the heat is pretty much running nonstop so our gas bill is triple what it was in the summer.

MattyD-MPLS

Captain for The 2021 Grandaddy
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I think we have been in double digits for maybe 5 hours in the last 2 weeks. It has been bad.

heat wave of 40 coming this weekend tho!

Junkyard

A Work in Progress
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It’s all good. I think a lot of us just don’t have much else to talk about because this weather is next level crazy. Texas is seeing something they are not familiar with, and for me, I’m a Florida girl, experiencing my first winter storm. I didn’t even know what sleet was before today and now I’m looking at 7” of it in my driveway.
I figured it was, but for some reason I felt bad. My original comment was meant as more of a joke, but it didn't come across that way.

Karma got me though, woke up to 16" of snow this morning :banghead::banghead::banghead: At least I managed to finish my sidewalk before the shovel blade snapped in half

RealPretendPsychic

2021 Grandaddy - Team THP
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I figured it was, but for some reason I felt bad. My original comment was meant as more of a joke, but it didn't come across that way.

Karma got me though, woke up to 16" of snow this morning :banghead::banghead::banghead: At least I managed to finish my sidewalk before the shovel blade snapped in half
This makes me want to buy a spare shovel...

Junkyard

A Work in Progress
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Received bad news this morning. A n overnight tornado hit my parents neighborhood in North Carolina. Fortunately, they were in Pennsylvania. Their neighbor was killed and my parents house is likely a total loss. I’m incredibly grateful they weren’t down there, but still feeling a bit numb. This photo is the back of their house. The four seasons room is completely gone and the W wall is the interior wall of the master bedroom. Very happy they are ok.
View attachment 8993699
So glad to hear your parents are okay. Material items can be replaced, human life cannot.

Junkyard

A Work in Progress
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Duffer Waldorf

Team Paradise Walk-On
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
9.0 GHIN
Paul Dellegatto
Now there is a name I haven't seen in a while. He was at WXII when I was a kid.
The winter gas bill has been an adjustment for me for sure. Normally winter in Florida is dirt cheap electric bills, but here the heat is pretty much running nonstop so our gas bill is triple what it was in the summer.
Just before Thanksgiving, we moved locally from a house with 2 heat pumps to one with a gas furnace. It's the only thing using gas, too.

December's gas bill floored me -- that + the electric bill was ~33% higher than the biggest electric bill in 7 yrs at the old house. I am not looking forward to the next ones.

Snowman

It's a dry heat!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15.4
Received bad news this morning. A n overnight tornado hit my parents neighborhood in North Carolina. Fortunately, they were in Pennsylvania. Their neighbor was killed and my parents house is likely a total loss. I’m incredibly grateful they weren’t down there, but still feeling a bit numb. This photo is the back of their house. The four seasons room is completely gone and the W wall is the interior wall of the master bedroom. Very happy they are ok.
Glad to hear your parents are okay, what a devastating thing to happen. This whole weather system is beyond bizarre.

RealPretendPsychic

2021 Grandaddy - Team THP
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Wow. Figured it had to be something like that with the damage. Amazing it was contained to such a small area. The whole thing is kind of surreal. Adjuster was at the house today and said it was likely a total loss. House will be boarded up tomorrow, hopefully an engineer will be out this week. Someone down the street said first responders were quick to get there, but it took an hour to extract their neighbors and the husband didn’t make it. Across the fairway and down the hole from them a house was actually lifted from the foundation and landed on the neighbor’s house killing two people. Feeling very fortunate.

Duffer Seamus

Previously Known As: MaybeDuffer
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Speaking of Detroit: The low temperature at our place NW of Detroit, as measured by our outdoor sensor, early this morning:

I can't say as I recall the last time I saw a low of -16°F, here, if ever.

ETA: This followed about 8 in. of snow, yesterday. Wheee!

Last edited:

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Man I am thankful I was able to get out of the misery that is Detroit yesterday morning and made it safely to warm and sunny Jamaica.
You need to have an incredible time for ALL of us hahaha

Reframmellator

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We had about 1" of snow Monday night. Then we got about 1/4" of sleet/freezing rain Tuesday morning. It reached 38 yesterday, so it all turned into heart attack snow, but I was able to clear off the outside car and the driveways and sidewalks before the temperatures plummeted. The remaining snow in our yard is about 5" deep and topped with about 1" of ice. Our almost 14 year old Lab won;t go in the open area I cleared out for her. Instead, she wants to go into the snow to do the deed, but she goes through the ice and has a harder time than usual moving around with that going on.

Hurry spring.

Jman

Golfing Equipment Reviewer
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I miss travel. I hate you Jeremy. :ROFLMAO:

jdtox

Team Paradise Captain
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I miss travel. I hate you Jeremy. :ROFLMAO:
Not intended to rub it it but man I’m glad I’m not in the frozen tundra for a few days.

Side note not sure Jamaican rum is my jam and there is no captains to be had 😕

Jman

Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Not intended to rub it it but man I’m glad I’m not in the frozen tundra for a few days.

Oh man, you’re in Rum heaven down there!

Jman

Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf

Are you also enjoying some coffee with sweetened condensed milk? That's the only way it was ever served when I was there and it was glorious.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in