The Official Banter Away Thread

Having a very small mental dilemma re a potential job change. A recruiter messaged me about a director position for a company, salary is around 30% more than current, and it would be rebuilding and reopening a treatment program.

But the reputation that company hold is kind of meh.. I'm also concerned on the turnover, and if the closed due to the pandemic and are now looking to reopen, that is a huge risk for me and the family with a baby due in a couple weeks. I don't feel excited about it so I'm shying away from interviewing, but it is enticing. Plus the daycare benefits I get with where I'm at I'd be losing, and me and wife would be working within .2 miles of each other soon, and the daycare is 200 feet away as well..

Guess I made up my mind but just needing to get the thoughts out of my head, but anyone got any input or feedback?

My wife looks at the amount of garlic a recipe calls for as a nice start!:ROFLMAO::oops:
Yo I'll eat her cooking all day then.. my rule is basically to double it haha

We make a dip/spread called skorthalia, its like if you took the ratio for garlic mashed potatoes and flipped them.. so instead of 1 garlic to 3 potatoes, it's actually more like 6 garlic to 1 potato... really helps the immune system though! But the thing is of one has some, EVERYONE needs to have some or else they're the one stinky person

Having a very small mental dilemma re a potential job change. A recruiter messaged me about a director position for a company, salary is around 30% more than current, and it would be rebuilding and reopening a treatment program.

But the reputation that company hold is kind of meh.. I'm also concerned on the turnover, and if the closed due to the pandemic and are now looking to reopen, that is a huge risk for me and the family with a baby due in a couple weeks. I don't feel excited about it so I'm shying away from interviewing, but it is enticing. Plus the daycare benefits I get with where I'm at I'd be losing, and me and wife would be working within .2 miles of each other soon, and the daycare is 200 feet away as well..

Guess I made up my mind but just needing to get the thoughts out of my head, but anyone got any input or feedback?
Is follow your gut too cliche? I think you have a good gut feeling here already.

My wife looks at the amount of garlic a recipe calls for as a nice start!:ROFLMAO::oops:

We make a dip/spread called skorthalia, its like if you took the ratio for garlic mashed potatoes and flipped them.. so instead of 1 garlic to 3 potatoes, it's actually more like 6 garlic to 1 potato... really helps the immune system though! But the thing is of one has some, EVERYONE needs to have some or else they're the one stinky person

I 100% agree with this. I always double whatever the garlic recommendation is. As long as it's cooked garlic of course.

I 100% agree with this. I always double whatever the garlic recommendation is. As long as it's cooked garlic of course.

28CF09D0-36F6-4F94-BAE3-3967FD742DF3.jpeg

Is follow your gut too cliche? I think you have a good gut feeling here already.
Not at all.. I keep trying to find ways to talk myself into it, and if this were 5-10 years ago I would be more eager for a job like this.

I keep rationalizing the extra income, but then I think in just 5 more years I'll be at the starting range of that salary, but still have the job security and perks

I'm reading that at this point in your life you are putting a premium on what I'll call job and family stability. There is nothing wrong with that, realizing that prioritizing those things sometimes means you paradoxically have to work those crazy hours at a bad time or miss that school program. I have a lot of career to look back on. I prioritized those family and stability choices, and I don't regret them because of the payback I've seen in the areas that matter most. Others have different situations and choices, and those work for them. We need all kinds of people making all kinds of choices.

I see those bolded statements and it reads to me that if it weren't for the money, you'd pass completely. I have never known anyone for whom it worked out because they took a new job just for the money. Find a role that excites you where there is a good cultural fit and more often than not the financials take care of themselves. At some future point a situation like that might excite you, but not now.

Looks to me like you have a strong compass. Trust it. It's like Oprah says: "Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough."

Looks to me like you have a strong compass. Trust it. It's like Oprah says: "Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough."

Lot of irony in that quote from someone like that. :)

Lot of irony in that quote from someone like that. :)

You made me look at that again and boy, are you right. Proves that many things in life are easy to say, not too difficult to understand, but really tough to execute. We all have our blind spots.

It sounds to me like you've answered your own question, or at least your analytical side has. It sounds like a "grass is greener on the other side" question, and as your explanation has pointed out there are more questions than answers.

I know from some of your recent posts you're pretty satisfied with where you're at - I'd put this "opportunity" behind you and focus back on your family, health and happiness.

Ugh, I just read an article that the cicadas are days, to at most a couple of weeks away. I am already having an anxiety attack just thinking about it.
I don’t miss those noisy devils from Beneath the earth.

I appreciate the feedback THP FAM!

The pay is definitely enticing, but it already sounds like the job security aspect is throwing up red flags for you - and while job security isn't a "benefit", per se, it has to be considered for the long term. Making 30% more this year won't pay the bills next year, or the year after. The daycare benefits and working that close to it (and that close to your wife as well) are both a financial benefit and the 'intangible' benefit of convenience, which is hard to put a price on. It sounds to me like you're thinking along the right track.

I want to preface this by saying my wife is an amazing cook, BUT she is the messiest person ever! Every time she cooks, it looks like a bomb exploded in the kitchen! Every pot and pan is in the sink, flour and spices are everywhere, total pandemonium folks! A live look at my wife cooking....

Anyways, I’m cleaning the kitchen this morning, I look up over the stove and saw this...
View attachment 9006420
SHE MADE MEATLOAF LAST NIGHT Y’ALL!!! WTF! How is this possible?!

I had one of those above my stove, also (no worldly idea how it got there). Magic Eraser is your friend. (y)

You made me look at that again and boy, are you right. Proves that many things in life are easy to say, not too difficult to understand, but really tough to execute. We all have our blind spots.
Or it proves that she was right. 🤷‍♂️

Some businesses do much better at "curbside pickup" than others, despite the fact they have all had the same amount of time to practice.

Canadian Tire (think Autozone combined with the garden centre, housewares and sporting goods sections of Walmart) I received my pickup confirmation mere hours after placing my order.
Home Depot - averages next day.
TSC - all items showed as in stock, got pickup email for one of the items within an hour of ordering, still waiting (6 days) for remainder of order. Online it still shows 2 in stock (3 when I ordered) I will probably call them tomorrow to follow up.
Auto Detailing Supplies - I placed several orders with them last summer, I was in the area and usually was able to pick up within a half hour. Placed an order on Friday of last week and have yet to receive confirmation to pickup. I will definitely call them tomorrow.
Here, we have very different views of the Canadian Tire and Home Depot pickup services.

Canadian Tire will let you know your item is available, you show up for curbside and then....... after a 45 minute wait in the parking lot they apologize that they have lost your order...... between the time you phoned for pickup, and the time that it was to be walked out of the store to your vehicle.

Home Depot here has such terrible stock management that I have on 5 occasions had orders just cancelled. Reorder, cancelled again with no explanation. What is going on? Well, despite a weekly inventory check/count, their numbers are off. If stock shows 3, I've ordered 2. They cancel my order. Then they adjust their stock to 1. I order the item again, this time qty 1. They cancel that one as well, then adjust inventory to 0.

Here we've found that local stores excel at curbside. Excellent communication, great service.
The big stores have the labor to do it, but just cannot get it right here at all.

Here, we have very different views of the Canadian Tire and Home Depot pickup services.

Canadian Tire will let you know your item is available, you show up for curbside and then....... after a 45 minute wait in the parking lot they apologize that they have lost your order...... between the time you phoned for pickup, and the time that it was to be walked out of the store to your vehicle.

Home Depot here has such terrible stock management that I have on 5 occasions had orders just cancelled. Reorder, cancelled again with no explanation. What is going on? Well, despite a weekly inventory check/count, their numbers are off. If stock shows 3, I've ordered 2. They cancel my order. Then they adjust their stock to 1. I order the item again, this time qty 1. They cancel that one as well, then adjust inventory to 0.

Here we've found that local stores excel at curbside. Excellent communication, great service.
The big stores have the labor to do it, but just cannot get it right here at all.
here in BC we just walk into the store and pick up what we're getting

The first time everything shut down I cut the stores some slack because they had to develop the whole curbside procedure and I know they were overwhelmed with orders. A week was typical lead time. This is now the third time we've been switched to that mode so if they don't have it figured out by now.....

Update: I did get my order from the detail shop - it was ready the same day I ordered it, but for some reason the email didn't hit my inbox. I also called TSC, and despite the site showing local store stock, it is coming from a warehouse so it'll be a bit longer. Not sure why store stock went from 3 to 2 online after I placed my order, but whatever.

They say no good deed goes unpunished. Yesterday while driving back to the office I came across an older gentleman with a stalled out pickup truck. He was halfway up a hill right at the apex of a blind corner. Traffic was backed up behind him and people were getting ornery. I stopped, asked him if he wanted me to pull him up the hill which he was very happy for. As I'm walking back to my truck, I turned back to tell him he would need to stop the downhill traffic so that I could get in front of his truck. As I turned, apparently the gravel shoulder I was walking on changed shape and since i wasn't paying attention wound up ass over tea kettle. Embarrassing.
I got him up the hill, out of harm's way and had a quick chat with him - nice gentleman who I was happy to help. I put everything back in my toolbox, shake his hand and head off for the office. I get to the office and discover that I've got a dime sized patch of skin missing on my right palm and I'm leaking blood 😳

The irony is, the Home Depot stuff is when we aren't on lockdown. Just for stuff I can't find on the shelf to begin with.

If it says you have it in store, and I can't find it, I will just order it.

here in BC we just walk into the store and pick up what we're getting

Back to the office after a 9 hour car ride starting at 1am. I am beat

My new dream in life is to have someone mark my ball in the rough with a tiny flag.

I have a database that compiles information to let us know if an agency pays an employee without a completed W-4 on file. I just sent out the emails to the agencies that paid employees with skeletal W-4s in April. Within five minutes, I got an email from an HR person at another agency asking me to complete my W-4 in the time/personnel site and to let them know when I had completed it. Yeah, no, mines fine, I'm trying to let you know one of your employees doesn't have a W-4...

Back