The Official Banter Away Thread

Took a minute to hang this up in the office. Only moved in here two years ago...

View attachment 8936311

There's some really good courses there, and some really bad ones. Most of them have been played with THPers at one point or another.
Very nice.....bad golf courses are better than NO golf courses!

Very nice.....bad golf courses are better than NO golf courses!
One of the bad ones is the closest course to my house. I've played it maybe a handful of times, and only if I can get a deal.

One of the bad ones is the closest course to my house. I've played it maybe a handful of times, and only if I can get a deal.

Please don't mean the beauty that is Hilaman.

Please don't mean the beauty that is Hilaman.
Wildwood. While it is in better condition than I've seen it before, and it is actually open, its still pretty poor. A good portion of what was the first hole is now an RV park, so its now a short par 4 that you can reach if you can sling a mean hook because they just put the tee box in the trees of the 9th hole where the RV park ends.

Before it closed since its municipal, I was playing Hilaman at least a couple times a week. I'm a member there since that's where our game moved when Seminole closed.

Wildwood. While it is in better condition than I've seen it before, and it is actually open, its still pretty poor. A good portion of what was the first hole is now an RV park, so its now a short par 4 that you can reach if you can sling a mean hook because they just put the tee box in the trees of the 9th hole where the RV park ends.

Before it closed since its municipal, I was playing Hilaman at least a couple times a week. I'm a member there since that's where our game moved when Seminole closed.

Never played that one. I only played Seminole, Hilaman, Southwood <3, and that little par 3 course in a KKG tournament

Never played that one. I only played Seminole, Hilaman, Southwood <3, and that little par 3 course in a KKG tournament
We've been playing Capital City Country Club the past few weeks since Hilaman closed and our game shut down for the time being. What these past few weeks have been showing me is that aside from the hurt of the initiation fee, I could probably afford Seminole's new prices. Although, a lot of people think there's no way to sustain that kind of desire for exclusivity via pricing out the common folk at a golf course on Orange Ave by the airport with no hoity toity neighborhood to support it.

We've been playing Capital City Country Club the past few weeks since Hilaman closed and our game shut down for the time being. What these past few weeks have been showing me is that aside from the hurt of the initiation fee, I could probably afford Seminole's new prices. Although, a lot of people think there's no way to sustain that kind of desire for exclusivity via pricing out the common folk at a golf course on Orange Ave by the airport with no hoity toity neighborhood to support it.

Uhh based on how the economy may be when it's finally open, I think you could argue down an initiation fee very easily. The fact it's going private is a $%*&@#! joke.

Uhh based on how the economy may be when it's finally open, I think you could argue down an initiation fee very easily. The fact it's going private is a $%*&@#! joke.
They started taking early memberships in January, opened for real in March. One guy who I only listen to 20% of what he says said they only have 40 full time members. The rest are boosters who will only be there 7 times a year for home games. Faculty and students get very reduced prices, but they won't be able to cover the rumored required $1M/yr minimum groundskeeping expenditures.

They started taking early memberships in January, opened for real in March. One guy who I only listen to 20% of what he says said they only have 40 full time members. The rest are boosters who will only be there 7 times a year for home games. Faculty and students get very reduced prices, but they won't be able to cover the rumored required $1M/yr minimum groundskeeping expenditures.

Oh wow it's actually open? Well now I wonder what the prices are haha.

Oh wow it's actually open? Well now I wonder what the prices are haha.
Either 2500 or 5k initiation, I don't recall which, and 300/mo then 25 cart fee per round. There were some of the early memberships that were higher initiation and lower monthly, but those were the ones offered to high dollar boosters.

Either 2500 or 5k initiation, I don't recall which, and 300/mo then 25 cart fee per round. There were some of the early memberships that were higher initiation and lower monthly, but those were the ones offered to high dollar boosters.

I just went to their website to try and just get some information, because I'm bored... And their member director email doesn't work. That's hilarious. Seems their job offers are all through clubcorp, so if that's a thing? That's way outside my 100mi needed to be able to golf there. If that's part of the comped round? Hahahahahaha I would die and then say shut up and get in the car and be ready for the guest fee.

The pictures of the course look very nice.

That first photo reminds me of the old par 5 6th. God that routing is completely different now if they used that hole somehow.

That first photo reminds me of the old par 5 6th. God that routing is completely different now if they used that hole somehow.
It's actually near the old first tee, which you probably remember as the tenth, and goes towards what used to be the area between 17 green and the forward 18 tees.

It's actually near the old first tee, which you probably remember as the tenth, and goes towards what used to be the area between 17 green and the forward 18 tees.

When I was there, we started on the par 5 that opposite that dogleg left par 5. They added a lake there. I need to see this sucker myself one day haha

Work today....52132DDE-7E8D-4A7D-A11B-3F49A484527A.jpeg

When I was there, we started on the par 5 that opposite that dogleg left par 5. They added a lake there. I need to see this sucker myself one day haha
Yeah, they switched the 9s several years ago. 18 was the downhill/uphill dogleg left par five. It made the first hole a fairly innocuous four instead of groups backing up the old first hole trying to go for the green in two with no chance of making it.

Yeah, they switched the 9s several years ago. 18 was the downhill/uphill dogleg left par five. It made the first hole a fairly innocuous four instead of groups backing up the old first hole trying to go for the green in two with no chance of making it.

That's kinda how I felt about the 1st (my 10th) cause it was basically a hybrid or mid iron off the tee, just to get around the corner to have a clear shot at the green. Anything else was kinda silly and probably not gonna result in a birdie look.

That's kinda how I felt about the 1st (my 10th) cause it was basically a hybrid or mid iron off the tee, just to get around the corner to have a clear shot at the green. Anything else was kinda silly and probably not gonna result in a birdie look.
4i to the flat spot in front of the fairway bunker, gap wedge to any section of the green.

I have a serious question for you financial advisor thp members.

I'm a CPA, so naturally this time of year I speak to a lot of you to coordinate tax reporting and future decisions for mutual clients. That's all well and good. But inevitably, almost every one of you says, "Hey McLovin, after you slow down let's go grab a cup of coffee or lunch. I think I have several clients I can send to you." Which is loosely translated into English as "Let me spend $1.50 on a cup of coffee for you so you can send me 6-figures of annual income."

What's the most polile but direct way I can shut you down so you never ask me that again? This is a serious question because I don't want to offend anyone, but I'm tired of wasting time in these "get-to-know-you" meetings.

I'm a CPA, so naturally this time of year I speak to a lot of you to coordinate tax reporting and future decisions for mutual clients. That's all well and good. But inevitably, almost every one of you says, "Hey McLovin, after you slow down let's go grab a cup of coffee or lunch. I think I have several clients I can send to you." Which is loosely translated into English as "Let me spend $1.50 on a cup of coffee for you so you can send me 6-figures of annual income."

What's the most polile but direct way I can shut you down so you never ask me that again? This is a serious question because I don't want to offend anyone, but I'm tired of wasting time in these "get-to-know-you" meetings.

"I appreciate that but as you know, I don't have much free time right now and when I do, I'm more likely to focus on my family and just try to unplug from work. If your meeting can mutually benefit us, we can have a talk. If it's just someone who is going to ask me a few questions and then that's that? That's not a win win for me."

Try something like that.

Wake up to a hellacious thunderstorm— only to be followed up by flashing lights as our neighbors house was hit by lightning, that then traveled through the gas lines—-

Had roughly 6 engines and two squads out in front of our house. Firefighters walking through the yard etc. been a bit of a crazy morning
Holy crap dude, that's a heck of a wakeup call! Glad to hear everybody was okay, but that had to jangle some nerves.

Well hello Fellow CPA (@McLovin) hopefully your doing ok with all these COVID Releases.... I guess there are two schools of thought, do you actively network for work? If you have an upcoming event, tell them that you are going to this great event and maybe we can talk there for a few moments. Do you do things after work related to networking? If so invite them to grab a drink.

I understand that this can be a "long game" but what happens if that person gets to know the CFO / CEO of a prospect not today or tomorrow but say in a couple years and you could have an instant in with one person or maybe multiple, would you take the time now and throughout the years to do it? :unsure:

If nothing else I have found out that its an easy way to get invited to games /events / other positive things by just taking 5 minutes to get to know someone. This might lead to other leads.

I agree with @MWard that if you dont have the time or want to devote to something else great way, hey low on time right now, but maybe a 10 minute call. Odds are the salesy people will never call so put it back on them to set up. People that genuinely want to help will follow through.

Hit me up would love to talk shop sometime.

Last edited:
Back