The Official Banter Away Thread

I'm also sorry for asking for the depressing weather talk to stop. It's THP, it's the "banter away" thread. I have no right to ask you to censor your conversations. Carry on.

It’s all good. I think a lot of us just don’t have much else to talk about because this weather is next level crazy. Texas is seeing something they are not familiar with, and for me, I’m a Florida girl, experiencing my first winter storm. I didn’t even know what sleet was before today and now I’m looking at 7” of it in my driveway.

I didn’t even know what sleet was before today and now I’m looking at 7” of it in my driveway.
If you have any good, hilly roads nearby, you need one of these:

1613439233563.png

See?! Relative!

I would NOT want 90 degrees on a daily basis! I need some 70 degree reprieve from heat.

Same here! It's amazing how we can b*tch about the hot weather in the Summer, and do the same about the cold weather in the Winter!

How do you northerners deal with this **** for months on end?

It is isn't exactly easy!

dtox, post: 9802626, member: 5944"]
Yep nailed it. I drink waaaaay more wine and bourbon during the winter months than I do the rest of the year! Its so dang cold. Also tend to eat a lot more too :ROFLMAO:
[/QUOTE]

Red wine or whisky are my main go to's in the winter. Plus I think red wine is a blood thickener. Helps me handle the cold a little better.

There is nothing more dangerous then driving on ice. Please be careful everyone.

There is nothing more dangerous then driving on ice. Please be careful everyone.
Ugh, seriously. I'll drive in snow 10 times out of 10 over driving on ice.

Scary.

So who else watched this and thought such a tease.
:wavey:

Local news showed this clip and said he ended up smashing into a car at the bottom of the hill.

:wavey:

Local news showed this clip and said he ended up smashing into a car at the bottom of the hill.
That's gotta be a situation where you have an internal debate about whether you should bail out and let it go, or ride it out! :oops:

That's gotta be a situation where you have an internal debate about whether you should bail out and let it go, or ride it out! :oops:

I think you have to ride it out. Safer within the cage, and much easier to say "I tried everything I could" when they find you sitting behind the wheel instead of on the curb. Plus, what makes me think I can stand up, let alone walk or stop, if I get out of the truck on that stuff.? That's exactly what happened to me once. I had a 38 mile commute and a business meeting I absolutely had to be there for. It was 30 degrees and freezing rain almost everywhere on the commute. In my little Honda Accord with Blizzaks, I went through side roads to avoid main roads blocked by accidents. I passed SUV after SUV off the road as I descended a road into a village, I never went above 20 mph, but under that speed I had excellent control. I got to a county line and a volunteer firefighter was standing there stopping traffic - well, me, because I was it at the time. I stopped about fifty yards away from him, got out of the car to walk up to him, and promptly fell down. Twice. Turns out the next county had closed the roads and so there was no way I got to that meeting. I couldn't even call in because I couldn't get a signal on my bag phone.

I think you have to ride it out. Safer within the cage, and much easier to say "I tried everything I could" when they find you sitting behind the wheel instead of on the curb. Plus, what makes me think I can stand up, let alone walk or stop, if I get out of the truck on that stuff.?...
I thought about that after I posted, haha. If you bail out, you're probably going to be sliding right along with the car, and no protection around you! 😬

Received bad news this morning. A n overnight tornado hit my parents neighborhood in North Carolina. Fortunately, they were in Pennsylvania. Their neighbor was killed and my parents house is likely a total loss. I’m incredibly grateful they weren’t down there, but still feeling a bit numb. This photo is the back of their house. The four seasons room is completely gone and the W wall is the interior wall of the master bedroom. Very happy they are ok.
1613485982710.jpeg

And we have made it to a positive number on the thermometer!!!! we are at 2*

Received bad news this morning. A n overnight tornado hit my parents neighborhood in North Carolina. Fortunately, they were in Pennsylvania. Their neighbor was killed and my parents house is likely a total loss. I’m incredibly grateful they weren’t down there, but still feeling a bit numb. This photo is the back of their house. The four seasons room is completely gone and the W wall is the interior wall of the master bedroom. Very happy they are ok.
View attachment 8993699

Oh wow, so glad your parents are ok! Awful to hear the destruction of that tornado.

Oh wow, so glad your parents are ok! Awful to hear the destruction of that tornado.
It was shocking news to wake up to. My overwhelming feeling is thankful that they weren’t there, but at the same time I can’t help thinking about how they bought the home a decade-ish ago and have spent all that time making it their dream retirement home. But still just grateful they are ok. The aerial photos from their neighborhood show the destruction. It’s just awful and unbelievable.
9A833EF8-88E0-4AD7-B212-C28181C2DD29.jpegD921A2EB-C458-43E9-89AB-42AF8CD0CEFA.jpeg

It was shocking news to wake up to. My overwhelming feeling is thankful that they weren’t there, but at the same time I can’t help thinking about how they bought the home a decade-ish ago and have spent all that time making it their dream retirement home. But still just grateful they are ok. The aerial photos from their neighborhood show the destruction. It’s just awful and unbelievable.
View attachment 8993745View attachment 8993746
It is amazing how tornados work, they are selective as you can see in the pictures. Two houses flattened and the hardly any damage 100 yards away. Or even right next door only losing a few shingles and nothing else.

View attachment 8993699

It was fairly rough here last night around Midnight. But, we didn’t get hit like Brunswick Co! I’m glad your parents weren’t home! So sorry to hear about their neighbor and home. My MIL just had the stilts replaced under her home in Oak Island from the last tornado (May?). We’re still waiting to see if there was any damage this time.

It is amazing how tornados work, they are selective as you can see in the pictures. Two houses flattened and the hardly any damage 100 yards away. Or even right next door only losing a few shingles and nothing else.
We had our fair share of tornado sirens in Kansas City, but fortunately no issues. I hunkered down through an EF0 or 1 tornado in southeast PA back in 2015. I didn’t appreciate the description of it sounding like a freight train until I witnessed it. Cell service was knocked out and numerous cars in my apartment complex were completely crushed by trees. But as soon as you left the parking lot, there were no signs of damage. Terrifying!

It was fairly rough here last night around Midnight. But, we didn’t get hit like Brunswick Co! I’m glad your parents weren’t home! So sorry to hear about their neighbor and home. My MIL just had the stilts replaced under her home in Oak Island from the last tornado (May?). We’re still waiting to see if there was any damage this time.
Hope there isn’t any damage! As someone who’s only lived in the northeast and Midwest, it’s hard to believe this happened in February. It’s been a tough weather stretch recently for southern NC.

View attachment 8993745View attachment 8993746

So sorry to hear about the neighbor and others affected. The luck of having your parents away is great news. hopefully things go smoothly as possible in rebuilding. The pictures illustrate a powerful storm and quite a scary experience.

We had snow and ice that took out our power for most of Saturday and off and on Sunday. Now they are expecting a worse ice storm tomorrow night through Thursday..

This guy testing the ball retriever!
AC7BA16F-F3A7-41F2-97CC-72111D98FDEA.jpeg

Back