The Official Brooks Koepka Thread

he was boring before and he’s boring now. add in the arrogance and blasé attitude and i struggle to find anything to like about him. tiger stonewalled the media for years, but he was electric on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
He's boring because he tells it like it is and what he does pertaining to Golf? So he doesn't prep for Tour events the way he does Majors, is that bad? He basically said he uses the Tour event the week before a Major to find something to take into a Major.

I like the arrogance. The run Brooks has been on has been electric for Majors, it just doesn't win the crowd, maybe it is his ho-hum attitude on the golf course, I think it's a treat that we are witnessing a dominant player.

Tiger is in his own category though with what he did on the course.

he was boring before and he’s boring now. add in the arrogance and blasé attitude and i struggle to find anything to like about him. tiger stonewalled the media for years, but he was electric on the course.

Your not alone in the thinking. It was quite a topic this past weekend and a lot of people feel the same way. Boring with a touch of arrogance. He was called an un-fun frat guy by a golfer this week haha.
Im not sure I have much of an opinion either way. I like dominance from the stand point that its good for the media and can bring some electricity. At the same time, I like passion for a game that I love.

he doesn’t care about golf. he doesn’t like golf. i play golf and watch golf because i like golf. how am i supposed to relate or even like this guy?

Anyone that goes over to the European mini tour to try and earn his playing card can't really be labled as not caring about golf. That was a brutal way in earning his way on.

Interesting approach that he basically uses the regular tour events as his "practice" to gear up for the majors. I think other players do the same they just don't tell the story the way Brooks did.

Anyone that goes over to the European mini tour to try and earn his playing card can't really be labled as not caring about golf. That was a brutal way in earning his way on.

Interesting approach that he basically uses the regular tour events as his "practice" to gear up for the majors. I think other players do the same they just don't tell the story the way Brooks did.

I’m with Big Time on this one

He's boring because he tells it like it is and what he does pertaining to Golf? So he doesn't prep for Tour events the way he does Majors, is that bad? He basically said he uses the Tour event the week before a Major to find something to take into a Major.

I like the arrogance. The run Brooks has been on has been electric for Majors, it just doesn't win the crowd, maybe it is his ho-hum attitude on the golf course, I think it's a treat that we are witnessing a dominant player.

Tiger is in his own category though with what he did on the course.

oh i’m not comparing him to tiger at all. just saying tiger wasn’t the most forthright in his pressers. but at least he was energetic and passionate on the course.

i guess it’s good that he is giving us an insight into his personality. good because it lets me know he doesn’t care about the game like i do.

plenty of pga tour players are arrogant. probably most. but it stands out with him when there’s not anything else i find redeeming.

I like him. I don't need my golfers to be role models. Does he have a different view in terms of preparation? Sure he does, but to me that shows how talented he is and how he's not overthinking this thing. He's simplified the game and it works for him. Some need to be in more control and that's fine, but him being able to play golf at the highest level with this approach, who am I to say he's wrong.

I think the message could be relayed better, but then that wouldn't be Brooks.

correct me if i’m wrong but he’s said a bunch of times that he doesn’t care about golf.

to me he just wants to make money. the euro tour slog was his track to get where he is now. doesn’t really indicate to me that he loves the game. there’s nothing wrong with that, but for the type of guy i want to cheer for, i don’t like it.

I put this thru the filter of whether I would want to play a round of golf with this person...and to be honest, there are a ton of golfers, many of whom are beloved by the golf media, who would be far more miserable to play a round of golf with than Brooks in terms of how they carry themselves on the course.

Something I also keep in mind is that the vast, vast majority of the world that ever watches golf will only ever see professional golfers while they're on the course. The fact that we're digital our proverbial gums about individual players online puts us in rarified, geeky air about the sport. And assuming Brooks is in contention this week, they'll see a guy who plays the game with a calm detachment and general unflappability. I'm not sure why we should like that less than some players who, if their own words are to be believed, have never hit a shot they actually liked.

One of the main things I like about Koepka is that he is not like 99% of golfers (AND pro athletes)... He doesn't form these cookie cutter responses that are just recycled daily.

I am going to take a quote from the 1997 movie classic that is "Private Parts" and edit it a little to fit Brooks Koepka....

Pig Vomit : But... if they hate him, why do they (watch)?
Researcher : Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll (do) next."

correct me if i’m wrong but he’s said a bunch of times that he doesn’t care about golf.

to me he just wants to make money. the euro tour slog was his track to get where he is now. doesn’t really indicate to me that he loves the game. there’s nothing wrong with that, but for the type of guy i want to cheer for, i don’t like it.
Never heard him say he doesn't care about the game of golf. I've heard him say:

"Couldn't care less about winning _______ tournament"
"I get to play golf for a living"
"I don't care about where anyone else is"
Etc., Etc, Etc

I dont' know if he's ever come out on record that he does not care about the game of golf? I would like to see the whole interview if so because I'm sure that was taken out of context.

Also never said he loved the game of golf. Just said it was a brutal way to make the tour.

Koepka is an enigma. His personality and his golf are puzzling. He claims not to care about golf but apparently wonders why the press doesn't give him respect. He excels in majors but is very journeymanesque (if there is such a word) in all other tournaments. And he presents an attitude of I don't care how I play at Hartford or Detroit etc.

Interesting takes that becaue he doesn't practice he doesn't care about golf.

Hasn't he been quoted saying he'd rather be doing other things?

"To be honest, I’m not a big golf nerd,” Koepka continued. “Golf is kind of boring, not much action. I come from a baseball family, and it’s in my blood.”

I dont' know if he's ever come out on record that he does not care about the game of golf? I would like to see the whole interview if so because I'm sure that was taken out of context.

Also never said he loved the game of golf. Just said it was a brutal way to make the tour.
Basically that Golf is boring to him, he isn't a golf nerd. If he could do it over again he would play baseball instead of Golf.

Wasn't he living in cars going from country to country to play in tournaments? He grinded back then. So he's reaping the benefits now. I'd say he deserves it.

Sure if that were the only thing. Some people that have a passion for it, struggle with that.

Here is a guy that openly says he wouldn't have played golf, if he could do it again. He would have chose baseball.

Then followed it up with this gem

"To be honest, I’m not a big golf nerd,” Koepka continued. “Golf is kind of boring, not much action."

I guess for an analogy, view it as you have a passion for TX. He says, he would rather not go there and TX is boring. You might think he doesn't care that much about TX.
Or substitute TX with pizza, iPhones or anything else. It seems like a fair inference.

Sure if that were the only thing. Some people that have a passion for it, struggle with that.

Here is a guy that openly says he wouldn't have played golf, if he could do it again. He would have chose baseball.

"To be honest, I’m not a big golf nerd,” Koepka continued. “Golf is kind of boring, not much action."

I guess for an analogy, view it as you have a passion for TX. He says, he would rather not go there and TX is boring. You might think he doesn't care that much about TX.
Or substitute TX with pizza, iPhones or anything else. It seems like a fair inference.
How dare you, even hypothetically, infer someone might not care about pizza.

Hasn't he been quoted saying he'd rather be doing other things?

"To be honest, I’m not a big golf nerd,” Koepka continued. “Golf is kind of boring, not much action. I come from a baseball family, and it’s in my blood.”

I think that's the closest I've seen him get to dissing the game. But never said he didn't care for the sport. Also said that a few years ago when he hadn't won much.

Boring and not liking something are 2 different things. Fishing is boring but I like it. Playing dolls w/ my 8 year old is boring but I like it (for obvious reasons). My current job is boring but I like it because it pays the bills.

One thing I've noticed over and over again from reading books, articles and interviews with retired greats, is that many of them don't love their chosen sport by the time they reach the top. They usually love winning (or hate losing), but the love for the sport itself is frequently long gone.

Dimaggio, Andre Agassi and Ryan Villipoto all come to mind, and were all among the greats in their sports.

One thing I've noticed over and over again from reading books, articles and interviews with retired greats, is that many of them don't love their chosen sport by the time they reach the top. They usually love winning (or hate losing), but the love for the sport itself is frequently long gone.

Dimaggio, Andre Agassi and Ryan Villipoto all come to mind, and were all among the greats in their sports.
Good points.

I think Tiger and Rory also alluded to the same fact that they lost the love for Golf at some point in their careers, even at their peak, because it was so important to win, more of a job than enjoyment.

Tiger on his latest comeback mentioned that he just enjoys being back out with the guys, having fun, and playing golf again. He has a different perspective now when before it was just grind grind grind and push his body to its limits.

Rory also said something along the lines of getting his personal life together with his professional life has helped a lot with enjoying golf again.

Boring and not liking something are 2 different things. Fishing is boring but I like it. Playing dolls w/ my 8 year old is boring but I like it (for obvious reasons). My current job is boring but I like it because it pays the bills.

Different people view that differently obviously. I don't care for too many things that I think are boring.
If I have a large passion for something, having someone else with gifts, say its boring, would tell me they don't share the same views as me.

Thats the beauty of fans. People can root for and root against anything they like. If someone wants to root for a criminal in one sport, because of a helmet he puts on and root against a charity giving wonderful guy because he went to a different school, so be it.
Brooks is about as polarizing as we get in golf right now, and thats a good thing.

I can see how Brooks's attitude towards golf can rub some people the wrong way; he is most definitely polarizing. I don't mind his attitude, because when the dude is on the course, especially in a major, he's putting all he's got into the tournament. I'm also not that surprised that an athletically gifted guy like him would have preferred another sport, such as baseball. Heck, Michael Jordan's favorite sport was always baseball because of how much it meant to his father.

I enjoy that Brooks has been far more outspoken this year, but I too don't love the whining about a lack of attention.

I think that's the closest I've seen him get to dissing the game. But never said he didn't care for the sport. Also said that a few years ago when he hadn't won much.

Haha, Nate plays with dolls!!! :alien:

Haha, Nate plays with dolls!!! :alien:

but it's Texas, so I'm sure they're large dolls.

Not sure that's better or worse.

American Girl.....and don't for a second will I believe Kev hasn't done the same at some point in his awesome dad life!

The adopted Chinese doll she was playing with when I was there? That one looks creepy.

Back