The Official Brooks Koepka Thread

The adopted Chinese doll she was playing with when I was there? That one looks creepy.

She takes all comers Mike! Her nursery is non-denominational and all are created equal! But I swear I did see that head turn one night while watching tv but that's for another time.

Back to Brooks and his hate for golf. :D

This all really bums me out, honestly. To have that much talent and genuinely not care about the game... It's tough as a passionate fan of golf to cheer for it.

At least he's starting to answer his own questions why he's not getting much press. It's bad for the game.

I can see that, but I'll also give you a different perspective. A guy I grew up with his younger brother has been one of Brooks' coaches since he was coming up. When this was posted, all the armchair experts were calling bs, etc. Saying he definitely practiced between. His coach steps in and said nope, he definitely was being honest. He is a freak athlete and doesn't need the reps to improve, only does maintenance stuff to keep himself fresh. I don't think he necessarily dislikes the game as much as he's gifted enough to make 8 million a year, barely practice and win a couple majors. What does he need to improve on?

I can see that, but I'll also give you a different perspective. A guy I grew up with his younger brother has been one of Brooks' coaches since he was coming up. When this was posted, all the armchair experts were calling bs, etc. Saying he definitely practiced between. His coach steps in and said nope, he definitely was being honest. He is a freak athlete and doesn't need the reps to improve, only does maintenance stuff to keep himself fresh. I don't think he necessarily dislikes the game as much as he's gifted enough to make 8 million a year, barely practice and win a couple majors. What does he need to improve on?

I see a longer peak career out of him in this case. Won't get burned out like so many golfers.

I see a longer peak career out of him in this case. Won't get burned out like so many golfers.
Agreed, and a healthier career too. He's struggled with injuries, so if I can play at my peak 4 times a year why even try to practice everyday between and risk injury? In high school I was smart enough I could avoid studying and still make B's & the occasional C. My parents wanted me to study harder, pay attention more and get A's. I just didn't see the purpose, I think it's similar to that. He could be better, he's at the top end of the pyramid, made millions by practicing very little and obviously isn't so competitive that he feels the need to win every time.

I have no personal reason to cheer for Koepka other than THP contest haha, but I respect his Major dominance and his "zero sh!ts given" attitude. He loses me when he whines about his lack of attention...it just seems out of character.

I get what you're saying, but if truly loved the game, wouldn't he want to win all the tournaments, not just the big four every year? It just comes off as very weird.

I get what you're saying, but if truly loved the game, wouldn't he want to win all the tournaments, not just the big four every year? It just comes off as very weird.

Would you rather win the John Deere or the US Open? The Honda Classic or The Masters? The Irish Open or The Open?

Maybe...I think it depends on how competitive a person he is. The only person I'm competitive against is myself. If I'm striking the ball well, playing at the level I know I'm capable of, I truly don't care if the person I'm playing with is 20 strokes better. I've just always been that way. In softball, baseball, basketball, I didn't care if I won or lost, I just wanted to do all I could to put us in a position to win. Not making excuses for the guy or whatever, just offering a different perspective.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Would you rather win the John Deere or the US Open? The Honda Classic or The Masters? The Irish Open or The Open?
That's a strange question. You don't have to choose between them. You can win all of them! I mean, he's entering other tournaments besides the majors.... What's the point of you don't want to win them?

Maybe...I think it depends on how competitive a person he is. The only person I'm competitive against is myself. If I'm striking the ball well, playing at the level I know I'm capable of, I truly don't care if the person I'm playing with is 20 strokes better. I've just always been that way. In softball, baseball, basketball, I didn't care if I won or lost, I just wanted to do all I could to put us in a position to win. Not making excuses for the guy or whatever, just offering a different perspective.

Yep, and I appreciate your perspective. But I think Brooks is a pretty competitive guy. Well, at least when it comes to the majors.

I think that's the closest I've seen him get to dissing the game. But never said he didn't care for the sport. Also said that a few years ago when he hadn't won much.

Boring and not liking something are 2 different things. Fishing is boring but I like it. Playing dolls w/ my 8 year old is boring but I like it (for obvious reasons). My current job is boring but I like it because it pays the bills.

My point wasn't to drive home how much he hates golf, I just don't see eye to eye with his perception of the game. Far too many guys who genuinely embrace the sport, love the history of the game, and nerd out when going to special places. I'd much rather watch them succeed.

That's a strange question. You don't have to choose between them. You can win all of them! I mean, he's entering other tournaments besides the majors.... What's the point of you don't want to win them?

You'd get mentally burnt out if you went after all of them. Sometimes you just need to find your groove, try some new things, work on cancelling out a certain side of the course. Practice certain shot shapes.
Say the major is on a course that demands a left to right shot off a lot of tees, guess what I'd be doing at regular events leading up to it.... hitting those left to right tee shots as much as possible, not just on the range before a major championship.

It is so rare for someone to go into every tournament thinking they can win it.

Yep, and I appreciate your perspective. But I think Brooks is a pretty competitive guy. Well, at least when it comes to the majors.

That is the weird part, right? He's ultra-competitive. Even when working out with DJ, those guys are trying to top each other.

You'd get mentally burnt out if you went after all of them. Sometimes you just need to find your groove, try some new things, work on cancelling out a certain side of the course. Practice certain shot shapes.
Say the major is on a course that demands a left to right shot off a lot of tees, guess what I'd be doing at regular events leading up to it.... hitting those left to right tee shots as much as possible, not just on the range before a major championship.

It is so rare for someone to go into every tournament thinking they can win it.
Yeah you can't win every one. But limiting it to four seems pretty crazy for a very competitive pro athlete.

That is the weird part, right? He's ultra-competitive. Even when working out with DJ, those guys are trying to top each other.
But only on bench and squat!

I think you can be competitive and not be the type A must win everything person too. We all know the person that has to win to have fun. The one that has to win a game of H-O-R-S-E with the 8 year olds. I'm sure he is competitive, he's a pro athlete. He's just aloof and doesn't care and that runs people the wrong way. I wish I could not care, yet be ranked as one of the best, and have a couple million in the bank.

Yeah you can't win every one. But limiting it to four seems pretty crazy for a very competitive pro athlete.

He's limiting it to the four most important events in the calendar, not just four events.

Think of it in tennis, no-one really cares that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are winning week in week out. People care when they win the US open, Wimbledon etc.

He's limiting it to the four most important events in the calendar, not just four events.

Think of it in tennis, no-one really cares that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are winning week in week out. People care when they win the US open, Wimbledon etc.

Nicklaus did the same thing and so does Tiger. Yesterday Justin Rose said he did not like the new schedule, that there was not enough time in between Majors. He said that in the end great players careers are judged by their performance at the four Major championships, and he is right.

My point wasn't to drive home how much he hates golf, I just don't see eye to eye with his perception of the game. Far too many guys who genuinely embrace the sport, love the history of the game, and nerd out when going to special places. I'd much rather watch them succeed.

I understood that from the start. He's not even in my top 5-10 golfers I pull for when a tournament starts, but I respect his views and what he's done in the sport in a very short time. I don't hate him for taking a stance that's not popular and I'm sure his arrogance doesn't stit well with a lot of people. But you do get honest answers from him and he tells you what's on him mind and what he's thinking on that day. Jelly that the game comes to him that easy and I'm sure a lot of other players are too.

My only hope this weekend is that Jordan finds himself in a battle against Brooks and wins on the final hole so I can leave this thread and get back to the Jordan Spieth thread where I belong. :D

I can't tell you how many wins Arnold Palmer has but I know he has 7 Majors.

I blame Tiger. Or more accurately, I blame the Tiger effect and the chase to beat Jack. Major tournaments went from "very important" to the whole basis for comparison between Jack and Tiger over the course of Tiger's career, IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love the Majors, they've gone from big tournaments to must see TV and phone apps and all, but now they're what defines your legacy in golf. If you win the Stanley Cup, no one cares that you were the #8 seed and limped in.

That's the environment today's golfers grew up in. In light of that, it's hard to fault someone like Brooks for saying that Major tournaments are the only thing he gets amped enough to practice for.

So out of curiosity, you are okay with a player not performing that well early on and walking off the course or tanking?
I am NOT saying Brooks does that, but based on your posts that only four tournaments matter, since fans know who wins, you lead me to believe that nothing else matters.
Im with @Canadan I love seeing guys that share the same passion about the courses, the equipment, the game.

Every pro sports team in the US is defined on a year to year basis by their ability to win a relative handful of games at the end of the year. Now, they have to win enough games and stay healthy enough to get themselves into a position to have a chance at those games, but that's it. And by and large, the US is OK with that. I can't help but feel like Brooks feels the same way. He has to win four tournaments a year to be the best golfer in the world. Everything else about the season is structured around giving him the best chance at those four tournaments. And when every golfers career is over, we're going to talk about Claret Jugs and Green Jackets and not much else.

So out of curiosity, you are okay with a player not performing that well early on and walking off the course or tanking?
I am NOT saying Brooks does that, but based on your posts that only four tournaments matter, since fans know who wins, you lead me to believe that nothing else matters.
Im with @Canadan I love seeing guys that share the same passion about the courses, the equipment, the game.

No I don't like tanking, but if you go into a standard tournament with the mindset of 'I want to get these feels ready for the major coming up in two weeks' you aren't really going to score your best, your mind is elsewhere. I'm sure if he found himself in contention on a Sunday he'd give it a go, he wouldn't tank it deliberately, he would most likely just go out there and still try and work in those feels and if a win came with it he'd take it.

In the grand scheme of things do you really care who came second when Tiger won his first, second or third green jacket? Not when it happened but now.

I totally get that certain people want the best to be all in on the historical significance of certain things in the sport, to be equipment nerds or know everything about their idols, but there are guys out there that just don't think like that.

The way he speaks is polarising if you hold those things close to your heart.

No I don't like tanking, but if you go into a standard tournament with the mindset of 'I want to get these feels ready for the major coming up in two weeks' you aren't really going to score your best, your mind is elsewhere. I'm sure if he found himself in contention on a Sunday he'd give it a go, he wouldn't tank it deliberately, he would most likely just go out there and still try and work in those feels and if a win came with it he'd take it.

In the grand scheme of things do you really care who came second when Tiger won his first, second or third green jacket? Not when it happened but now.

I totally get that certain people want the best to be all in on the historical significance of certain things in the sport, to be equipment nerds or know everything about their idols, but there are guys out there that just don't think like that.

The way he speaks is polarising if you hold those things close to your heart.

Of course I do. Jack's record is special with both his wins and runner ups. In fact Brooks can be the first player I believe in history to finish 1st or 2nd in all 4 majors this year. That is an amazing accomplishment.
Its not about wins and losses to me. I root for a story.
As it pertains to attitude, I don't love golfers that say "they don't care about the media" and then turn around and say "where is my attention". I love this game, the history, the courses, the equipment, etc. Others don't, and Brooks is one of them. Someone else can like him because he's good. People can root for whoever they want.

Back