The Official MS Excel Nerd thread

InHartWeTrust

Ball Go Far.
Reaction score
Handicap
4-5ish
Any other Excel nerds here? My knowledge of Excel basically makes me seem much better as my job than I really am, and I love it.

Same here, I heard golfergal has a spreadsheet or 2

I had a slightly better than basic working knowledge of Excel and like you said it made many people think I was much better at my job because of it. Now that I am retired I can't much at all anymore.

I've been using OpenOffice Calc.

The power of Excel is truly ridiculous, if you develop your knowledge and put the time in to learn ways to maximize the functions and Add-Ins you know.

I may be a nerd, but you dudes are dorks. :alien:

Here is a great site to learn from, but you should be warned, it can get pretty advanced on some of the things they show. I am in the process of mastering the Interactive Charts section.

http://chandoo.org/

Great for putting presentations to the Board and/or Leadership teams together.

I use it all the time, I don't know near enough what I should, but I'm still learning. We use it a lot for work, maybe we shouldn't, but it gets the job done.

I use apple inc numbers haha

I'm not too bad at using Excel. Learned it a lot in school.

I use Excel every day and I'm definitely better than average, but I have a long way to go. Doing queries and pivot tables still take me a long time

I've been known to write a VBA script or two.

i hate excel. too many numbers. too much typing.

I have used most of the different functions, probably everything under the Data menu, Charts, macros, and too much other stuff to remember. I taught people to use Excel for a few years and have made spreadsheets for lots of folks. I've got a few for our weekend golf group including one that lets me click a cell, then it looks up the handicap index on a browser. I then enter the index manually and the sheet displays course handicaps for all the tees at courses we play using lookup tables that I built in the spreadsheet. We have about 45 guys and it takes me 10-15 minutes to do the list of everyone's handicaps. But not a nerd, more like a geek.

I can work my way around an excel sheet OK, but it frustrates the bajeezus out of me the way some people use it. Though, I'm more often inclined to write an SSIS package and import spreadsheets into a database (or databases), manipulate things how I want there then spit it back out to excel than do all the fancy stuff within excel. :shrug: but I digress...

It's definitely handy and helpful to be good with Excel.

The power of Excel is truly ridiculous, if you develop your knowledge and put the time in to learn ways to maximize the functions and Add-Ins you know.

Essbase is my best friend.

I got to the point of writing Macros, but then found I never actually used them for work. We had a full class just on Excel. Not going to lie, I didn't pay much attention, I'm sure what I can actually remember is like 1/15th of what most of you guys know.

I use Excel most of the day at work and I'm fairly good compared to some that I work with and utterly clueless compared to others. I know enough to get by and pick things up on a regular basis. I went through college in a time where my first introduction to Excel was through DOS. Then when Windows came along the program changed and I picked up some more. By the time I got out, the school was still using Windows 95 so I'd have to think that Excel has changed a ton since then. Most of what I know I've just picked up over the years. Probably my best skill is just looking at what someone did and figuring out how they did it and how it could benefit what I need to do. One thing that always baffles me though are the people that come up with the advanced formulas and files when they don't need to. I find so many mistakes on files that wouldn't have happened if they would have just kept it simple.

Hey maybe this thread will come in handy for me! I am an accounting major in my senior year, and for whatever reason my advisor never recommended or set me up for an excel class so I've done a lot of my calculations using a financial calculator, but I know Excel is much quicker and easier, especially once I get an accounting job. I finally got signed up for an Excel for Accounting class that started yesterday so I can familiarize myself with how to use formulas. I know the basics on how to create some tables, but other than that I'm pretty much a beginner in Excel so maybe some people in here can give me some guidance if I need it!

I use Excel most of the day at work and I'm fairly good compared to some that I work with and utterly clueless compared to others. I know enough to get by and pick things up on a regular basis. I went through college in a time where my first introduction to Excel was through DOS. Then when Windows came along the program changed and I picked up some more. By the time I got out, the school was still using Windows 95 so I'd have to think that Excel has changed a ton since then. Most of what I know I've just picked up over the years. Probably my best skill is just looking at what someone did and figuring out how they did it and how it could benefit what I need to do. One thing that always baffles me though are the people that come up with the advanced formulas and files when they don't need to. I find so many mistakes on files that wouldn't have happened if they would have just kept it simple.

Your best skill is a good skill to have when it comes to Excel, that is the key to really learning it. To learn Excel, you need to open a spreadsheet made by someone else who was more advanced than you, reverse engineer what they were doing, and analyze/learn from that.

Hey maybe this thread will come in handy for me! I am an accounting major in my senior year, and for whatever reason my advisor never recommended or set me up for an excel class so I've done a lot of my calculations using a financial calculator, but I know Excel is much quicker and easier, especially once I get an accounting job. I finally got signed up for an Excel for Accounting class that started yesterday so I can familiarize myself with how to use formulas. I know the basics on how to create some tables, but other than that I'm pretty much a beginner in Excel so maybe some people in here can give me some guidance if I need it!

Def absorb as much as you can. I work as a Supply Chain Analyst for a major international retailer, and I spend my entire day in Excel, as does basically any finance or accounting based person within the company.

Can't believe the C.o.B at your school didn't have the class as a requirement? At Ohio State, we had to take Computer Assisted Problem Solving for Business as part of the College of Business curriculum. A good book, IMO the best, is Excel for Dummies. Never thought a "for Dummies" book would be the best, but it absolutely is as far as I'm concerned.

I use it for work so have a fair knowledge of it and have done various things including producing interactive charts with dynamic links that change depending on what has been selected
My biggest weakness with it would be the VBA side as I don't tend to write anything in code but with a bit of help from Google I can usually muddle through

I use it for work so have a fair knowledge of it and have done various things including producing interactive charts with dynamic links that change depending on what has been selected
My biggest weakness with it would be the VBA side as I don't tend to write anything in code but with a bit of help from Google I can usually muddle through

The first part is precisely what I am working my way through now. I'm only 1.5 years into my career, so I figure it is worthwhile to learn it now and use it forever.

I am also in the same boat with VBA. My IT Data team told me the best way to learn that is to use the Record option, then run it through step-by-step to see where it errors out, and Google a way to fix it.

I wish I knew what I was doing in Excel. I put my hours in to an excel sheet and I wish I knew how to make an easy hours sheet. Instead it takes me a while to just add in the days and dates and then hours

I wish I knew what I was doing in Excel. I put my hours in to an excel sheet and I wish I knew how to make an easy hours sheet. Instead it takes me a while to just add in the days and dates and then hours

What exactly are you after Chunky? We have a timesheet at work which calcuates how many hours you have worked for the week and whether you are up or down on them based on how many you should work
If you are interested I might be able to get hold of a blank copy of it for you to have a look at if it is of any use?

Just drop me a line and I will try to remember to check this thread...

Back