The Official Patrick Reed thread

Cynical Ham says where there’s great big bags of loot involved, people will cheat.

I'm not sure I follow.

Mega zoomed golf coverage is nothing new - It happens probably 100s of times a tournament to many in the field, and social is almost always all over infractions or bad decisions out there, making it easy to come by. Would you care to provide samples of where players are actively compressing the ground in the rough behind their ball so I can confirm this perspective?

Until then, doesn't this argument ring sort of hollow?

Adding to this... can we make an unequivocal distinction between actively pressing the ground and the weight of the club doing the work? Lightly soleing is purely subjective. Watch every shot out of the rough today. Most clubheads will disappear. What’s happening to the grass behind the ball? It’s being moved by the presence of the club....to what degree? Who knows... it’s different for every player. This rule is can be cleared up by a simple declaration that the clubhead cannot touch the grass while addressing the ball in the primary rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding to this... can we make an unequivocal distinction between actively pressing the ground and the weight of the club doing the work? Lightly soleing is purely subjective. Watch every shot out of the rough today. Most clubheads will disappear. What’s happening to the grass behind the ball? It’s being moved by the presence of the club....to what degree? Who knows... it’s different for every player. This rule is can be cleared up by a simple declaration that the clubhead cannot touch the grass while addressing the ball in the primary rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too simple! Does not pass the “Rules Must Be Byzantine Gobbledegook To Be Valid” rule.

I'm not sure I follow.

Mega zoomed golf coverage is nothing new - It happens probably 100s of times a tournament to many in the field, and social is almost always all over infractions or bad decisions out there, making it easy to come by. Would you care to provide samples of where players are actively compressing the ground in the rough behind their ball so I can confirm this perspective?

Until then, doesn't this argument ring sort of hollow?
Simply put....Jon Rahm just won the PGA by cheating....If he presses the club during one of the last holes when he knows the whole world is watching....what, he doesn't do that every time he has a shot in the rough. So why is Patrick Reed the cheat and not Jon Rahm?
I marshalled for numerous years at the Travelers Championship. One year I was given duty at the landing area of a par 5 which had a tendency to have balls enter the areas of the crowd watching. Many times when the players were in the rough they grounded their club several times in "trying to figure out" which club was appropriate to hit. Sometimes as many as 3 different clubs. Each time the lie seemingly improving...….That was 15-20 years ago.
When the camera's are rolling, Mr barely making the cut isn't watched or followed....Patrick Reed has virtually every shot watched very closely. My point is if every golfer is watched as closely as Patrick Reed.....maybe there would be a few more "cheaters" exposed.

Simply put....Jon Rahm just won the PGA by cheating....If he presses the club during one of the last holes when he knows the whole world is watching....what, he doesn't do that every time he has a shot in the rough. So why is Patrick Reed the cheat and not Jon Rahm?
I marshalled for numerous years at the Travelers Championship. One year I was given duty at the landing area of a par 5 which had a tendency to have balls enter the areas of the crowd watching. Many times when the players were in the rough they grounded their club several times in "trying to figure out" which club was appropriate to hit. Sometimes as many as 3 different clubs. Each time the lie seemingly improving...….That was 15-20 years ago.
When the camera's are rolling, Mr barely making the cut isn't watched or followed....Patrick Reed has virtually every shot watched very closely. My point is if every golfer is watched as closely as Patrick Reed.....maybe there would be a few more "cheaters" exposed.
By the same token, maybe if Reed didn’t cheat so much, he wouldn’t be analyzed so closely :ROFLMAO:

After watching the clip of Reed grounding his club numerous times behind the ball, in the rough....what number is considered ok? Once, twice?! Just curious what everyone’s opinion on this is? My opinion is anything more than twice is improving the lie.

After watching the clip of Reed grounding his club numerous times behind the ball, in the rough....what number is considered ok? Once, twice?! Just curious what everyone’s opinion on this is? My opinion is anything more than twice is improving the lie.
Who doesn't do this?

btw allowing the club to rest in front of or behind the ball is specifically permitted even if it "improves the lie" under the Rules (with exceptions i.e. hazards)

Last edited:
By the same token, maybe if Reed didn’t cheat so much, he wouldn’t be analyzed so closely :ROFLMAO:
This, all day and night.

Who doesn't do this?
I saw this video clip on Instagram before I saw this thread. It looked horribly unsportsmanlike to me. Then I see some people posting in this thread that it is common. I had no idea. I would never dream of doing it. It intuitively feels like cheating. Sincere question... Are you saying everybody does this?

Last edited:
I saw this video clip on Instagram before I saw this thread. It looked horribly unsportsmanlike to me. Then I see some people posting in this thread that it is common. I had no idea. I would never dream of doing it. I intuitively feels like cheating. Sincere question... Are you saying everybody does this?
If you're asking if everybody puts their club on the ground behind the ball at address, then yes. Hoverers notwithstanding

If you're asking if everybody puts their club on the ground behind the ball at address, then yes. Hoverers notwithstanding
To be fair, placing/grounding a club behind the ball and what that video clearly depicts are completely different things.

What was the ruling on Reed cheat move in the rough?

Wait! Rahm won the PGA?

To be fair, placing/grounding a club behind the ball and what that video clearly depicts are completely different things.

it's all about intent, isn't it? a cheat will lie about his intent, and reed is a cheat. so if he is asked what his intent was in "placing" the club behind the ball in the manner he did, he will never admit that it was to improve the lie. it's disappointing (though not surprising) that others on tour do this as well. kuch comes to mind. it won't change unless penalties are given, and the way the rules are written it seems this type of behavior is not likely to be penalized.

it's all about intent, isn't it? a cheat will lie about his intent, and reed is a cheat. so if he is asked what his intent was in "placing" the club behind the ball in the manner he did, he will never admit that it was to improve the lie. it's disappointing (though not surprising) that others on tour do this as well. kuch comes to mind. it won't change unless penalties are given, and the way the rules are written it seems this type of behavior is not likely to be penalized.
I agree. Reed is a cheat, and he doesn't even hide his cheating. I'm surprised he's still allowed on the PGA. Everyone hates the guy and nobody cheers for him. He should leave the PGA and go play on another tour. Plus, he's really out of shape. I bet he has cheated in every tourny he's played in.

Do you think Reed 'put' his club on the ground, or pressed it down into the grass?

Reed definitely cheated and needs to kicked off the tour.

I haven't read the whole thread, but have we definitively answered whether pressing your club into the grass behind ball, but not causing the ball to move, is a violation of the rules?

I haven't read the whole thread, but have we definitively answered whether pressing your club into the grass behind ball, but not causing the ball to move, is a violation of the rules?
the basic idea is that you'd be improving your lie (or intending to) by compressing the grass. Kind of like sweeping away behind a ball in a waste bunker (too soon?) or pushing away branches near a tree. So yes, if confirmed that it did improve the lie, it's very much against the rules.

Rule 8.1 (and USGA Interpretations) covers everything

the basic idea is that you'd be improving your lie (or intending to) by compressing the grass. Kind of like sweeping away behind a ball in a waste bunker (too soon?) or pushing away branches near a tree. So yes, if confirmed that it did improve the lie, it's very much against the rules.

It ticks me off that this continues to be a thing with this guy.. It is pretty obvious to me that he is "pushing" the grass down. He was not just addressing the ball and sole'ing the club in preparation to to hit the ball. Not only is it a bit far behind the ball. But he moves it from side to side to widen the path.... It was also down addressing the ball, then backing off then addressing and hitting the ball...

Back