The Official Patrick Reed thread

So you want the Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup, and Waste Management to be played on an empty course from now on, got it.:oops:
LOL at "empty course". The reality is that 99% of the spectators at Tour events appreciate the opportunity to watch excellent golf play and are well mannered when doing so.

If I had a pass to watch your boys team play in a match, and I started heckling your 5 bag with personal insults, would you or someone not ask me to leave? Would it be tolerated?
Related, I have no reason to ever actually do that, but I also don’t see any point in chirping at a player either. Want to effect them? Don’t watch them. Seems that gets more attention than being the clown who chirps so much, an altercation starts.
My 5 bag is a country boy and would probably throw you in a creek. That’s also a bad analogy since these dudes are making millions. Your stance is essentially that anyone who heckled should be out, so what’s next? Football? Basketball? Hockey? It’s an event that is built on passion, and he was a jackass and got what he had coming, if he wasn’t a drip, then none of this happens.

Unfortunately going by the evidence around the internet, young Mr Reed has always been and absolute 1st Class bell end. Seems that after the 'cheating' evidence from last week that he wants to continue with that reputation. There is no denying that he is a good golfer, but good golfers are allowed to be nice people as well. I guess no one has told him yet.

And now it seems his caddy is from the same mould as Reed. They really do make a great pair.

His caddy is his brother in law and his wife along with that family apparently are nothing more than enablers of his behavior. Pretty sure I read somewhere that his wife and mother in law had burner twitter accounts defending him during the whole saga with his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL at "empty course". The reality is that 99% of the spectators at Tour events appreciate the opportunity to watch excellent golf play and are well mannered when doing so.
The reality is events like the Presidents Cup and RC aren’t about excellent golf, they’re about patriotism and PASSION. LOL

My 5 bag is a country boy and would probably throw you in a creek. That’s also a bad analogy since these dudes are making millions. Your stance is essentially that anyone who heckled should be out, so what’s next? Football? Basketball? Hockey? It’s an event that is built on passion, and he was a jackass and got what he had coming, if he wasn’t a drip, then none of this happens.

I may have laughed at the 5 bag comment more than I should have haha.

My analogy more is for golf, the other sports are noisy from start to finish and they’re not as close as fans and golfers get. And silence isn’t ever a thing in those other sports. If I yell to Cam Newton that he sucks, he’s never going to hear me or even know who did it. If I tell Patrick Reed he sucks, he’s going to know exactly who did it. I just don’t see a point to it though, no matter the clown’s actions.

I may have laughed at the 5 bag comment more than I should have haha.

My analogy more is for golf, the other sports are noisy from start to finish and they’re not as close as fans and golfers get. And silence isn’t ever a thing in those other sports. If I yell to Cam Newton that he sucks, he’s never going to hear me or even know who did it. If I tell Patrick Reed he sucks, he’s going to know exactly who did it. I just don’t see a point to it though, no matter the clown’s actions.
My 5 bag is a mean ****. He worries ME sometimes haha

I think the key here is these aren’t normal Tour events. It’s about pride and country vs country(ies) and when nationalism is involved things cannot be compared to an average tour stop. Els said it best, shut up and play, the fans are supposed to be rowdy in these things, and notice the only one getting f bombed is the biggest dink there. Plus, this is TAME compared to team events in the northeast US. TAME.

I think the key here is these aren’t normal Tour events. It’s about pride and country vs country(ies) and when nationalism is involved things cannot be compared to an average tour stop. Els said it best, shut up and play, the fans are supposed to be rowdy in these things, and notice the only one getting f bombed is the biggest dink there. Plus, this is TAME compared to team events in the northeast US. TAME.
sounds like the northeast US needs to grow up

Yeah I agree with the NE. Something in the water in three or four of those states that brings out some clowns and then some. Good thing we don’t have a US Open there next ye..... Oh.

I think JT is getting chirped at a bit. It’s hard to tell when the player does just put up the blinders and goes, but he’s looked back a few times in the crowd and you hear some chirping pretty quick at putter impact sometimes.

Yeah I agree with the NE. Something in the water in three or four of those states that brings out some clowns and then some. Good thing we don’t have a US Open there next ye..... Oh.

I think JT is getting chirped at a bit. It’s hard to tell when the player does just put up the blinders and goes, but he’s looked back a few times in the crowd and you hear some chirping pretty quick at putter impact sometimes.
I think chirping should happen in these though. It’s national pride, it shouldn’t be hosted in a library setting.

Btw, I love this conversation Wardy.

I think chirping should happen in these though. It’s national pride, it shouldn’t be hosted in a library setting.

Btw, I love this conversation Wardy.
Oh yeah this is a fun back and forth. I didn’t like it when Rory got chirped at back at Hazeltine, cause it feels like 99% of the time, the player is just going to use it as fuel for the fire. Reed is playing like a hot mess, which is weird based on his form coming into the event. That being said, he literally has nothing to lose today. He could go out and steamroll for pure spite and then you’ll never hear the end of him popping off.

..... Which is why he and Cam Smith should have been paired. I mean let’s really see fireworks at this rate

Oh yeah this is a fun back and forth. I didn’t like it when Rory got chirped at back at Hazeltine, cause it feels like 99% of the time, the player is just going to use it as fuel for the fire. Reed is playing like a hot mess, which is weird based on his form coming into the event. That being said, he literally has nothing to lose today. He could go out and steamroll for pure spite and then you’ll never hear the end of him popping off.

..... Which is why he and Cam Smith should have been paired. I mean let’s really see fireworks at this rate

Tiger definitely made the wrong move by not putting Reed and Smith together.

Tiger definitely made the wrong move by not putting Reed and Smith together.

That would be a 100% putt every ball out match and man that tension would be all time

So you want the Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup, and Waste Management to be played on an empty course from now on, got it.:oops:
I think the WM and the two Cups are different animals. I’ve never been to the WM, but my sense is that the heckling there much more good-natured/light-hearted; whereas with the Cups, nationalism and parochialism sometimes bring out unnecessary anger, or even jealousy, that can lead to more serious confrontations.

That would be a 100% putt every ball out match and man that tension would be all time

It would have been insane. It's what everyone wanted haha. Tiger, why you playing everyone like that?

It would have been insane. It's what everyone wanted haha. Tiger, why you playing everyone like that?

Wonder if that was one of those spots where they talked off mic and said if there’s ever a chance of a fistfight on the course in championship golf, this would be it and maaaaayybbee not.

Let’s just hope Ernie Els invites Reed on his private plane back to the States and Ernie gets that look in his eyes to brawl.

Wonder if that was one of those spots where they talked off mic and said if there’s ever a chance of a fistfight on the course in championship golf, this would be it and maaaaayybbee not.

Let’s just hope Ernie Els invites Reed on his private plane back to the States and Ernie gets that look in his eyes to brawl.

Haha I forgot about that story.

Ernie probably hoping he could somehow sub himself in to take on Reed.

Haha I forgot about that story.

Ernie probably hoping he could somehow sub himself in to take on Reed.
Would love to have seen the Big Easy beat his ass.

I wanted that pairing SO badly.

Els is old enough to play the Senior Circuit, and a golfer, with no history of brawling that I know of. Reed is a doughy kid, and a golfer, who’s probably had his a** handed to him multiple times over due to his on- and off-course behavior...I’m not sure who I’d put my money on if they ever did drop the gloves.

Els is old enough to play the Senior Circuit, and a golfer, with no history of brawling that I know of. Reed is a doughy kid, and a golfer, who’s probably had his a** handed to him multiple times over due to his on- and off-course behavior...I’m not sure who I’d put my money on if they ever did drop the gloves.

Oh no, Ernie can scrap. The story goes that Steve Marino and Ernie ells played together in a tournament in Japan, and Ernie offered Steve a ride back stateside on his private jet. The two were drinking beers and having a good time, telling stories when all of a sudden Ernie looks at Steve and says are you having a good time? Steve laughs and says yeah I’m having a blast so Ernie stands up and looks at Steve and says good. And now we fight, and headbutts Marino to the point of seeing stars. Ernie starts wrestling him and tossing him around the main cabin. It gets broken up by co-pilot and Marino is like well.. guess I’ll just go sleep this one off. Little bit later, Marino wakes up to find Ernie just standing over him, and Ernie pops him again and ding ding round two.
Flight ends, Ernie gets off the plane and waits for Steve at the bottom of the stairs. Marino walks up, Ernie shakes his hand and says hey man great flight! Take it easy! And the two men walked away.

The Easy loves to drink, and then wrestle.

The reality is events like the Presidents Cup and RC aren’t about excellent golf, they’re about patriotism and PASSION. LOL

The "passion" comes from the magnitude of the event. 10 years ago I bought a ticket and went to the President's Cup. Players and fans were both into it and passionate with a higher level of intensity than a regular Tour stop. The players and spectators are there to see excellent golf on a big stage, and that's what it's about.
There is no justifiable reason for idiots (who likely don't know much about golf and, or, have appreciation for the game) to be out there playing the fool, misbehaving. This kind of bad etiquette harms the event for the players and the spectators.
One can have great national pride, patriotism etc... but show it with respect and good manners.

I wonder how much of that was a scrap, and how much just good-ol-boy horseplay? Really not a lot of room on most private planes for much flinging each other around.

As for the co-pilot breaking it up: “Hey dumb-a**es, we’re in a pressurized airplane. If you break a window, we could lose pressure—and oxygen—so just sit down, shut up, and maybe we won’t die today.

The "passion" comes from the magnitude of the event. 10 years ago I bought a ticket and went to the President's Cup. Players and fans were both into it and passionate with a higher level of intensity than a regular Tour stop. The players and spectators are there to see excellent golf on a big stage, and that's what it's about.
There is no justifiable reason for idiots (who likely don't know much about golf and, or, have appreciation for the game) to be out there playing the fool, misbehaving. This kind of bad etiquette harms the event for the players and the spectators.
One can have great national pride, patriotism etc... but show it with respect and good manners.
Yep, I’m absolutely sure they went to a golf event with no knowledge or appreciation of the game, that one makes TOTAL sense. :rolleyes:

Heres my take:

Heckling and chirping comes with sport while it's being played. These events probably heighten that being team format. While I won't excuse what Reed's caddy did, moving to get in a player's face while he's riding by in a golf cart after the match and screaming at him is crossing a line, and I dont think anyone can be surprised it generated a reaction, even a misguided one.

What I heard during play was typically poking fun, nothing really malicious. One guy yelled "Miss!" While Reed was putting, and I took his shoveling reaction as a little bit of self-deprecating humor and back and forth. I cant recall when it was, but there was a team event and someone from the crowd yelled. Maybe during a person's swing or they said something uncalled for, and the opposing player looked into the crowd, I presume at or in the direction it came from, and shook their head as to say that was too much. Fun natured ribbing is one thing, acutely directed anger is another.

Back