The Official Patrick Reed thread

There is an article on Golf Digest with a caddy saying there is one guy on tour who is always doing things like putting his coin in front of the ball then replacing his ball in front of the coin, tamping down grass behind his ball, whacking weeds in tall rough, taking generous lines when dropping from a water hazard etc. He said by and large there is rarely any cheating on tour except for that guy. Wonder who he's talking about?
do they just copy/paste the same article from the past 10 years?

His interview at the conclusion of the playoff was less than inspiring.
I saw him talking and totally tuned it out.

Let me guess... “All I care about is winning because I’m a top three golfer on the planet right now. We had a good chance down the stretch and didn’t get it done. Oh well.”

Oh and nothing about his competitors.

Reed certainly doesn't act and play like he cheated and the PGA Tour Officials accepted his words of innocence. There are some who certainly have an axe to grind with Reed for what he said about his pairing in the recent Ryder Cup. There are also those players who have been in his group in tournaments having received the Ben Hogan treatment from Reed. He is out there to win and he is good enough to win without cheating. So why would he jeopardize his lively hood by deliberately cheating on a stage where the best players are under constant scrutiny. Doesn't make sense to me.
It's not that long ago that Tiger was the recipient of similar treatment from the public. His real sin was deceiving the golfing public away from the course.
Golf is a cruel sport, but golf fans are crueler.

Reed certainly doesn't act and play like he cheated and the PGA Tour Officials accepted his words of innocence. There are some who certainly have an axe to grind with Reed for what he said about his pairing in the recent Ryder Cup. There are also those players who have been in his group in tournaments having received the Ben Hogan treatment from Reed. He is out there to win and he is good enough to win without cheating. So why would he jeopardize his lively hood by deliberately cheating on a stage where the best players are under constant scrutiny. Doesn't make sense to me.
It's not that long ago that Tiger was the recipient of similar treatment from the public. His real sin was deceiving the golfing public away from the course.
Golf is a cruel sport, but golf fans are crueler.

yeah but... he cheated blatantly on camera, for the whole world to see. Doesn't matter how good he is, whether or not he needs to cheat, etc. He blatantly adjusted his bunker lie on camera thinking nobody could see. Anyone who is even remotely serious about golfing knows you don't ground your club in a bunker, let alone toy around with the sand under your ball. And that's all the evidence anyone should need. My 2 cents.

yeah but... he cheated blatantly on camera, for the whole world to see. Doesn't matter how good he is, whether or not he needs to cheat, etc. He blatantly adjusted his bunker lie on camera thinking nobody could see. Anyone who is even remotely serious about golfing knows you don't ground your club in a bunker, let alone toy around with the sand under your ball. And that's all the evidence anyone should need. My 2 cents.
Bunker? It was a waste area and within the rules to ground his club. He was penalised for improving the lie. His club grazed the loose material on a couple of practictce takeaways. He said he didn't realise at the time that his club head had improved his lie.

Not a fan either but he's got game. He's legitimately #12 in the World and probably could be in the top 10 soon. It's just that what motivates him and how he acts really turns people off. He seems not to care who he pisses off or how anyone feels about what he does. But he probably inwardly does and he uses it all for motivation . The man is a marvelous golfer, but the golfer is not a marvelous man

But if he cheats is he “legitimately”
no 12 in the world? #justsayin

I hope Brandel says screw it and goes scorched Earth on Reed.

Agreed - Not that I care, because I’d be fine if I never had to hear/see Chambles on a golf telecast again

Reactions: KEV
I hope Brandel says screw it and goes scorched Earth on Reed.

I am now a Chamblee fan just to see him bang on him every chance he gets. It's must see TV for me right now.

Ok...so here's my question! Was the sand bunker incident cheating? He broke a rule and was penalized...does that constitute cheating? Does cheating imply doing something and getting away with it or being caught at a later time? Like football, defensive lineman lines up in the neutral zone, he is penalized 5 yards. But, no one says he was cheating. Baseball players take PEDs, you find out later...they're a cheater. Just curious on your opinions!

Ok...so here's my question! Was the sand bunker incident cheating? He broke a rule and was penalized...does that constitute cheating? Does cheating imply doing something and getting away with it or being caught at a later time? Like football, defensive lineman lines up in the neutral zone, he is penalized 5 yards. But, no one says he was cheating. Baseball players take PEDs, you find out later...they're a cheater. Just curious on your opinions!
Does something pretty blatantly obvious.
Claims he didn’t do anything wrong.
Stands by that claim by blaming camera angles etc.

I’d say that’s cheating.

For Reed its a culmination of suspect actions since college. His story is not hard to find and that's where his "cheater" moniker comes from my perspective. I think the sand incident is just the latest action and it so happened to be caught on camera. All the blow back is justified IMO.

Does something pretty blatantly obvious.
Claims he didn’t do anything wrong.
Stands by that claim by blaming camera angles etc.

I’d say that’s cheating.
This is a fair point.

For Reed its a culmination of suspect actions since college. His story is not hard to find and that's where his "cheater" moniker comes from my perspective. I think the sand incident is just the latest action and it so happened to be caught on camera. All the blow back is justified IMO.
It's a hard label to change that is for sure!

Bunker? It was a waste area and within the rules to ground his club. He was penalised for improving the lie. His club grazed the loose material on a couple of practictce takeaways. He said he didn't realise at the time that his club head had improved his lie.
There are videos of him doing the same thing years ago. I mean call a spade spade. It's not really debatable, just because we sadly live in a time when saying "I believe x is true" doesn't make it fact.

If you cheat, certainly more than once, you area cheater. Golf is a sport of honor and self dignity and the other 70+ players faced the same conditions.

All that aside, he is a gifted golfer, and great for the sport because a villain drives story lines. I hope he continues to wear all black on sundays and finish 2nd.

and he continues to nothing to change that label. His attitude is the biggest issue. There is zero accountability

It’s kind of like Kuchar and his current status as el cheapo.

think that is going away any time soon? Haha, no chance.. And I don’t think his lawyer has sent out any threatening emails.

It’s kind of like Kuchar and his current status as el cheapo.

think that is going away any time soon? Haha, no chance.. And I don’t think his lawyer has sent out any threatening emails.

He can't find a lawyer that will do it pro bono.

I’m thinking Reed thrives on the villain role. He almost seems to play better under adversity.

I’m thinking Reed thrives on the villain role. He almost seems to play better under adversity.

I think he is more afraid of Justine than any tour golfer or rules official :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Back