The Official Patrick Reed thread

I don't think anyone is denying that the rule is stupid. Until Saturday, I didn't know you could get relief from a putatively embedded ball in the rough. I think best practice, when the ball is in the rough and could arguably be considered embedded, is to call in an official.
Agreed, or at least a playing partner to get another set of eyes on it.

I don't think anyone is denying that the rule is stupid. Until Saturday, I didn't know you could get relief from a putatively embedded ball in the rough. I think best practice, when the ball is in the rough and could arguably be considered embedded, is to call in an official.
It makes a hell of a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Every time I get into a rules discussion, half the opposition claims that people taking advantage of the rule will ruin the integrity of the game - and yet somehow, this rule makes its way into the book? Embedded in the rough is probably a HELL of a lot harder to validate and a hell of a lot easier to cheat than a divot in the fairway as GUR.

I don't have enough experience in California wet weather golf to know whether it's possible. I was going off the information given that (similar to Ohio ground) it would be nearly impossible if not completely impossible for a ball to create a significant hole in the ground on a second bounce.

So I was stuck on the fact that a hole somehow existed after the fact, if that information is correct (which everyone including Reed believed). Add in Reed's track record, and as has been suggested, the optics aren't great.
No, the optics aren't great. However, the fact remains that if he were correct in claiming that it would be impossible for the ball to embed after a bounce, we must also accept that Rory is a cheater. Adding qualifiers like "potentially" or even "likely" go a long way into claims that Patrick Reed is, in my opinion, probably a dirty f***ing cheater.

No, the optics aren't great. However, the fact remains that if he were correct in claiming that it would be impossible for the ball to embed after a bounce, we must also accept that Rory is a cheater. Adding qualifiers like "potentially" or even "likely" go a long way into claims that Patrick Reed is, in my opinion, probably a dirty f***ing cheater.
Especially when Reed made his statement that it would be impossible to embed after a bounce while under the impression that there was no bounce. I highly doubt he would have been so honest if he had not been told that the ball didn’t bounce.

But... GK... I like Rory. :ROFLMAO:

Take the Reed situation out of your mind for a minute. As the rule exists, if a tour player doesn't see the ball bounce in the rough and neither his player partners nor a nearby volunteer see it bounce or doesn't know if it bounced (for purpose of the rule, I believe they are treated the same), what should he or she do? The rule doesn't require an official to be called. How does one proceed?

16.4 Lifting Ball to See If It Lies in Condition Where Relief Allowed
If a player reasonably believes that his or her ball lies in a condition where free relief is allowed under Rule 15.2, 16.1 or 16.3, but cannot decide that without lifting the ball:

• The player may lift the ball to see if relief is allowed, but:
  • The spot of the ball must first be marked, and the lifted ball must not be cleaned (excepton the putting green) (see Rule 14.1).
If the player lifts the ball without having this reasonable belief (except on the putting greenwhere the player may lift under Rule 13.1b), he or she gets one penalty stroke.

So, I just saw that Rory's ball was stepped on by a volunteer. Not sure why that info took so long to get out there, but it is what it is.

That makes me feel better, because Rory has taken a fairly strong stance on honest golf, including around this time last year when he placed a ball that was stepped on in rough deeper than his original placement, as he felt the lie was an advantage.

So we at least now know why Rory's ball was embedded, and I would think this clears his name on the list of cheaters haha

So, I just saw that Rory's ball was stepped on by a volunteer. Not sure why that info took so long to get out there, but it is what it is.

That makes me feel better, because Rory has taken a fairly strong stance on honest golf, including around this time last year when he placed a ball that was stepped on in rough deeper than his original placement, as he felt the lie was an advantage.

So we at least now know why Rory's ball was embedded, and I would think this clears his name on the list of cheaters haha
It’s very surprising that the info took this long to surface given that Reed was attempting to deflect to Rory.

It’s very surprising that the info took this long to surface given that Reed was attempting to deflect to Rory.
Basically anyone in support or defense of Reed went to Rory with it.

Which I guess is fine, but without that information (while we had the whole "Patrick giving the landing spot a physical" video) it leaves an awkward hole (pun I suppose intended).

Sorry Dan, I’m going to need to wait until I hear what useGolfFACTS has to say on the matter.

Basically anyone in support or defense of Reed went to Rory with it.

Which I guess is fine, but without that information (while we had the whole "Patrick giving the landing spot a physical" video) it leaves an awkward hole (pun I suppose intended).
Patrick Reed said to the spot where his ball was located, “You’re going to feel a little pressure.” 😂

Without the "volunteer stepped on Reed's ball announcement" it makes this even worse.

However, aside from signing the wrong scorecard DQ argument, didn't he win by enough that a one or two shot penalty there is irrelevant?

I don't agree that he may have cheated and got away with it, but had he just taken the penalty after round 3, he still would have won the tournament.

The thing that just keeps jumping out to me with Reed, where there's smoke there's fire.

Very surprising, and maybe a bit suspicious. But hey, the volunteer has nothing to lose by saying they stepped on his ball, and it clears his reputation, so....

Holy crap.. I was just watching one crazy summer.. joel Murray in that movie looks exactly like him!!

Don't know if this was posted, but the story on Patrick's irons. He is particular.

Is it time to ask what’s going on with Captain A? He’s now outside of the top 25 in the OWGR for what has to be the first time in a long time.

Is it time to ask what’s going on with Captain A? He’s now outside of the top 25 in the OWGR for what has to be the first time in a long time.

You sure.. he said he was a top 5 in the world golfer.

Probably sandbagging…figures with no cameras following anymore he can get away with more antics. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back