The Official Patrick Reed Thread

Question. Let’s say Reed doesn’t qualify but is 10th in points and is coming off a win. Does he make the team?

I hope not. He’s not a team player. Being part of the team doesn’t stop when the match is over.

I've always liked Reed. But then again, my two favorites have always been Sergio and Poulter. So what do I know? LOL. I have to be honest here though. What good did Reed possibly think would come from saying this publicly? If it was something he thought needed to be said, shouldn't he have done it (and left it) in the team room?

Sergio I get, Poulter.... complete DB IMO!
Reporter jumped on the opportunity to make it a story. Reed should have voiced in the team locker room, and may have.... but I think this was an opportunity one reporter took advantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you pointing the finger at the reporter - his wifes twitter account or one that most would assume was her twitter account said basically the same stuff that Reed said in the interview

After Reed won the Masters and all the stuff came out about his family he should have known how to react around the media and #TeamReed should have been wise to all of this

I have no sympathy for him - he put himself in this position - I get there are more personality dynamics go into that we’re not privy to, but there is enough well documented stuff caught on camera where Reed is a grade A @$$hole

Question. Let’s say Reed doesn’t qualify but is 10th in points and is coming off a win. Does he make the team?

1 million per cent yes!

Reed puts basically team USA on blast, and I think it's pretty entertaining quite frankly.

They didn't win... So I guess they could have done better, right?

Learned who the reporter was that asked it this afternoon, and let’s just say I’m not at all surprised at who they were and what organization they work for.

the only non-A i got in journalism degree was sports writing. i absolutely hated going up to the players immediately after a loss, shoving my recorder in their face and asking, "so, why did you lose?" i just wouldn't do the stories because i felt so bad.

If I'm captain, absolutely not.

And if he does qualify on points, he's sitting until Sunday singles (and likely headed out last so it's inconsequential).

I've seen several Poulter interviews. Seems like a really nice guy. From what I saw early in the RC, I could have improved on Patrick Reed's performance, easily. I have no idea what real difference it makes who your team mate is, at this level. And with regard to Furyk's interview, the team should take their wives, families, sig. others to Europe for a week before the RC and get familiar with the course. And stop complaining.

I hope not. He’s not a team player. Being part of the team doesn’t stop when the match is over.

Didn’t he say he has no issue playing with Jordan or someone he doesn’t get along with because when it comes to on the course it’s about the team. He said even though he and spieth may not be but they had a chemistry. But what do I know I’m one of the few that have turned into reed fans around these parts and usually have a different take on many things than most

Didn’t he say he has no issue playing with Jordan or someone he doesn’t get along with because when it comes to on the course it’s about the team. He said even though he and spieth may not be but they had a chemistry. But what do I know I’m one of the few that have turned into reed fans around these parts and usually have a different take on many things than most

That’s not all there is to it, it’s been touched on, but the Euro team was a team and whatever drama they may have had, we haven’t heard about it. Reed is running his mouth talking trash, that’s not a team player. For an event like the Ryder Cup you want a team that’s going to represent you on and off the course. Reed has proven that he can’t do that.

I'll pull for Reed when he is near the top. I enjoy his honesty. I like him for the same reason that I don't care for Woods - the media's opinion.

That’s not all there is to it, it’s been touched on, but the Euro team was a team and whatever drama they may have had, we haven’t heard about it. Reed is running his mouth talking trash, that’s not a team player. For an event like the Ryder Cup you want a team that’s going to represent you on and off the course. Reed has proven that he can’t do that.

Voicing concerns frustrations off the course happens all the time in sports and imo isn’t indicative of not being a team player. Is it a distraction? Probably. Will the media blow it up? Definitely. The spieth comments earlier in the year imo are water under the bridge and when someone who has been one of the firehouses and better player gets benched while others are playing like garbage, followed by questionable decisions by the capt during an event that’s high on emotions the frustrations are going to come out. I would have reed on the team every time just like I would poulter and apparently after this year Sergio too.

Was Phil bring a team player when he called Watson out in front of the world?

I'm one of those weird Reed fans myself (I also have come to like Sergio and Poulter). I'll admit he can get on the whiny side. Funny thing is I've always found Speith to be insufferable (I'm not sure why). Reed and I are similar in the fact that I have a hard time faking it. If you ask me a question, then you'll get my honest answer. It gets me into trouble often. I don't think he hurt the team atmosphere at all though. People dislike each other on teams all the time and are able to put it aside and play.

With very few exceptions, athletes who have a run of success and start to feel like they can say anything they want with impunity are usually disappointed when that success fades. That's when they start saying things that are just stupid. Reed will almost certainly win again, but he has pretty much been saying stupid things all year.

If his mate is responsible for whispering those sweet nothings in his ear then he should shove a sock in her mouth. If they are his original thoughts well then that's cool too. Success is a fickle mistress who has her own agenda and it rarely follows yours.

JM

i don't understand why honesty = being an a$$hole. isn't it possible for some people to be honest and still be nice/respectful/not a complete toolshed?

Weird. No one wants to play with him.

i don't understand why honesty = being an a$$hole. isn't it possible for some people to be honest and still be nice/respectful/not a complete toolshed?

It’s only equivalent to that if you dont like the person otherwise it’s acceptable and spun a different way

Voicing concerns frustrations off the course happens all the time in sports and imo isn’t indicative of not being a team player. Is it a distraction? Probably. Will the media blow it up? Definitely. The spieth comments earlier in the year imo are water under the bridge and when someone who has been one of the firehouses and better player gets benched while others are playing like garbage, followed by questionable decisions by the capt during an event that’s high on emotions the frustrations are going to come out. I would have reed on the team every time just like I would poulter and apparently after this year Sergio too.

Was Phil bring a team player when he called Watson out in front of the world?

Thing is he played terribly though. He was really wild on a course that wouldn't accept that. It's exactly the reason Phil sat. But Reed didn't discuss his crappy play, unfortunately. He focused on the aspects that were outside his control.
If he had been thinking team first he would have discussed what he could have done differently first. There was a lot to discuss there.

The quote that bothered me was that instead of saying those things and staying humble he said that the US had to check their egos at the door and then did the exact opposite.

Thing is he played terribly though. He was really wild on a course that wouldn't accept that. It's exactly the reason Phil sat. But Reed didn't discuss his crappy play, unfortunately. He focused on the aspects that were outside his control.
If he had been thinking team first he would have discussed what he could have done differently first. There was a lot to discuss there.

The quote that bothered me was that instead of saying those things and staying humble he said that the US had to check their egos at the door and then did the exact opposite.

Dj played bad as did koepka. Imo Furyk made bad pairing decisions and choices for who was playing when. Him voicing his frustrations imo doesn’t make him a non team player. It could make it a distraction going forward on president and rider cup teams. One guy who is deemed a bad apple and not liked voices his opinions and he’s not a team player while others (in various sports) voice theirs and they are passionate, showing they care, etc. same for when guys act out on the course or field.

Btw he didn’t say they had to check their egos at the door that was a team motto and was posted in the team room.

Btw he didn’t say they had to check their egos at the door that was a team motto and was posted in the team room.

To which he proceeded to say: “Every day [in the team room] I saw: ‘Leave your egos at the door.’ They [the Europeans] do that better than us.

And his comments, ignoring his own struggles, and saying he should play more because of past RC glory is exactly the best example of this.

Don't want to bash you, so please don't take it like that. We disagree on Patrick and that's fine.

Here's a take from someone else in that room:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/01/patrick-reed-is-so-full-of-s-t-us-ryder-cup-fight-explodes/

“He is so full of s–t,” the source told The Post on Monday. “Blindsided my ass. He begged to play with Tiger.’’

“He would have shot 83 on his own ball Saturday,’’ the source said. “He totally screwed Tiger. He has no clue how to play team golf. I saw firsthand how bad of a team player he was. Eleven players understood the concept of team golf and only one didn’t. Unfortunately, that one proved to be too costly for the team to overcome.

“He would have shot 83 on his own ball Saturday,’’ the source said. “He totally screwed Tiger. He has no clue how to play team golf. I saw firsthand how bad of a team player he was. Eleven players understood the concept of team golf and only one didn’t. Unfortunately, that one proved to be too costly for the team to overcome.

that's kind of a stretch, though. reed didn't get dubbed "captain america" because he doesn't know how to play team golf. he has been pretty electric in team competitions, so that part of the quote kinda taints the veracity of the whole thing for me. it seems more like someone sticking up for the cool kids, more than recounting history (maybe greller?). and i don't see how reed going 1-2-0 was the reason the us lost by 7 points.

that's kind of a stretch, though. reed didn't get dubbed "captain america" because he doesn't know how to play team golf. he has been pretty electric in team competitions, so that part of the quote kinda taints the veracity of the whole thing for me. it seems more like someone sticking up for the cool kids, more than recounting history (maybe greller?). and i don't see how reed going 1-2-0 was the reason the us lost by 7 points.

You're right. I did think that went over the top. But I also think it's possible Reed asked to play with Woods and that was an interesting nugget in the story.

Patrick comes off as having one of these personalities, and most of us know someone like this, where pointing the finger first is a manner of self defense. He's fully aware he played like crap through most of the RC. His comments pushed the attention elsewhere and not on his play.

Reed could have said a lot of things. He could have said nothing. He could have said that he didn’t play up to snuff, or that while he might have done things differently he respected the captains choices, or any number of things. Instead he followed tiger around like a yappy dog and didn’t play that well.

I don’t think his play mattered all that much, but bashing the team is not cool.

I’ve seen gracious losers in every sport out there, and whiny ones, and everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but how and when you voice that opinion matters. If you have beef you keep it I. The team room and put on the happy team member face for the media.

You're right. I did think that went over the top. But I also think it's possible Reed asked to play with Woods and that was an interesting nugget in the story.

Patrick comes off as having one of these personalities, and most of us know someone like this, where pointing the finger first is a manner of self defense. He's fully aware he played like crap through most of the RC. His comments pushed the attention elsewhere and not on his play.

he also has the martyr/persecution complex going on, with some self-fulfilling prophecy thrown in for good merit. it's him against the world, but he does everything he possibly can to make sure it stays that way.

i don't see how reed going 1-2-0 was the reason the us lost by 7 points.

Reeds play isn’t what matters here, none of the us team played spectacularly, aside from JT and Finau, but the other guys aren’t bad mouthing the team to the media. That’s why I wouldn’t want him on another team event like this.

We’ve seen a lot of team events here, and if anyone ever posted anything like that about there team, win or lose, that person would be rightfully torn to bits.

These kinds of events are not about winning or losing, not like a regular tournament, it’s a showcase designed to show off golf in a good light. Reed doesn’t get that, or at least that’s how it reads to me.

Back