The Official Patrick Reed Thread

i don't understand why honesty = being an a$$hole. isn't it possible for some people to be honest and still be nice/respectful/not a complete toolshed?

I suppose tact is the reality here. Maybe also the whole "place and a time" idea.

Who knows though.

i don't understand why honesty = being an a$$hole. isn't it possible for some people to be honest and still be nice/respectful/not a complete toolshed?

You bring up a good point.
My observation is that "honesty" is a rare trait, and as such most people reject honest behavior and, or, commentary.
Regarding Patrick Reed, it seems to me he produces a mix of honest commentary combined with dishonorable behavior.

I suppose tact is the reality here. Maybe also the whole "place and a time" idea.

Who knows though.

who knows? i know. just being honest. deal with it.

Leave it to Reed to be the whinny b*tch coming home from stinking in France.

should we modify the thp rules: don't be a reedchard?

giphy.gif

Whether he's right or not, it may be easier to leave him off the 2020 team than to ask 11 guys to tolerate him.

Even should Reed automatically qualify on points for a future President's Cup or Ryder Cup team I could see whomever is Captain try to keep him off the team (possible legal problem with that option, though) or at least sideline him for Friday-Saturday and only let him play Sunday singles.

It seems like there's a list of golfers who can say what they think about how the Ryder Cup went and be thanked for it...Phil's on that list, but apparently Patrick isn't.

Golf isn’t a team sport and does a golfer have to be a “team player” in a non team sport outside of working with the person they are paired with for a match?

Winning solves a lot of issues and the distinction on the American side happened long before Reed. Phil called out Watson which then led to this committee thing to mimick how the euros do things in order to gain some semblance of order with the hope to lead to succcess. Imo it was a way to hide the disfunction. The problem is the US was outplayed again because they are filled with guys who are used to course setups that allow bomb and gouge and faster greens. When it comes to a course that requires accuracy and good putting they get hammered. The euro has a bunch of really good ball strikers.

Golf isn’t a team sport and does a golfer have to be a “team player” in a non team sport outside of working with the person they are paired with for a match?

Winning solves a lot of issues and the distinction on the American side happened long before Reed. Phil called out Watson which then led to this committee thing to mimick how the euros do things in order to gain some semblance of order with the hope to lead to succcess. Imo it was a way to hide the disfunction. The problem is the US was outplayed again because they are filled with guys who are used to course setups that allow bomb and gouge and faster greens. When it comes to a course that requires accuracy and good putting they get hammered. The euro has a bunch of really good ball strikers.

I think the "bomb and gouge" is misleading. For example, the player who wins just about any tournament around the world has putted very well that week. Tiger won this year's Tour Championship because he made his putts. More than any other contributing factor, I think the European's won the Ryder Cup because they putted better than the American team.

I think the "bomb and gouge" is misleading. For example, the player who wins just about any tournament around the world has putted very well that week. Tiger won this year's Tour Championship because he made his putts. More than any other contributing factor, I think the European's won the Ryder Cup because they putted better than the American team.

If you're lying 3-4 on the green like the Americans were a lot of the time, you're dead. The US had a lot of 10-15 footers for par. Sure, if they made more of those they would have treaded water, but they got boat raced because they weren't hitting greens and hacking out of knee deep rough most of the tournament.

Yes putting wins every week but the US team us built around courses that give them the ability to be wild off the tee and still get a club in the ball and get to the green. The euros setup this course to play against the long hitter and penalize off line tee shots. Both sides got into trouble and when guys like DJ and Koepka who are usually long and straight can’t find the fairway and this greens 15’ putts for par to halve a hole aren’t going to get it done. Euros are brought up in a different mentality and a large majority of them are exceptional ball strikers. They are also used to playing on slower greens.

The US got out played this week and guys that haven’t been playing well or unknowns stepped up while the Americans who played bad coming in continued to play bad and those who were playing good got outplayed.

I also think Bjorn did a much better job at setting up pairings and who played when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm honestly still trying to decide if Reed is at least partially glad the US lost just so that his complaints could carry more weight. Seems to be a guy/family that really enjoys saying "I told you so."

And he is back in the news! Kevin Kisner opened up about him I guess.

"They all hate him — any guys that were on the team with him (at Georgia) hate him and that’s the same way at Augusta," Kisner said. "I don’t know that they’d piss on him if he was on fire, to tell you the truth."

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/patrick-reed-newsmakers-2018-future

And he is back in the news! Kevin Kisner opened up about him I guess.

"They all hate him — any guys that were on the team with him (at Georgia) hate him and that’s the same way at Augusta," Kisner said. "I don’t know that they’d piss on him if he was on fire, to tell you the truth."

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/patrick-reed-newsmakers-2018-future

Yeah, and you know Kisner will be praised for taking shots at another player who takes heat for taking shots at other players.

The European team managed to find a way to play with Faldo ,so it should not be beyond the American team to work with Reed. Like Faldo, Reed has a winning record that is better than the nice guys.

The European team managed to find a way to play with Faldo ,so it should not be beyond the American team to work with Reed. Like Faldo, Reed has a winning record that is better than the nice guys.

True. Part of being a coach, captain, etc is knowing how to deal with difficult personalities and headcases. Furyk didn't. Obviously, Reed is an adult and has to take responsibility for his behavior. But it's not all on him.

No, the problem was the US golfers were too lazy, greedy, or complacent to go to Europe and practice the course before the R C.

No, the problem was the US golfers were too lazy, greedy, or complacent to go to Europe and practice the course before the R C.

Well considering several were involved in the FedEx cup playoffs that would be kind of hard to do. Some of them saw it during the euro event there. Many US PGA tour pros don’t like tight courses, long rough and slower greens.

Advantage euros who strike the ball much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except members of the US team went to the course and played it.

Q. Obvious question: Justin was the only player to come on the team to The Open de France in July, scored four points. Should everybody have come in could you have asked people, told people?
JIM FURYK: To play The French Open? I had a lot of folks that came for a practice round, too, ten days after that French Open, as well. A lot of them are sitting up here.

Q. Competition is different, though.
JUSTIN THOMAS: Golf course is still the same.

JIM FURYK: When we played practice round, it was pretty close to The French Open. Phil was here eight days after. Everyone else was here 12 to 14 days after. It helped.

Three possible reasons why USA lost

1.Course and set up.
2.USA players did not perform
3.European players played better.

Having lost 7 out of last 9 , should you not consider the third reason? It is impossible to beat the Americans in the Ryder Cup, they can only lose it.:banghead:

Reed gets it, and the rest of the team do not have to like him, just enjoy the points he wins. He may be a complete jerk, but he can play and is fiercely competitive, like Faldo was.

Back