The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't totally agree with this. But there is a fine line. I'm friends with both of my kids. But they also know we have expectations, rules, and family values to live by. It's more about being active parents in their lives.

I don't think anyone can generalize that there is any single right approach at parenting for every kid. Undoubtedly some people take the "be the friend" approach too far, just as people have always take the "firm disciplinarian" approach too far to the point of actual abuse.

My own two kids are completely opposite when it comes to punishment for example. My older son responds very well to time outs for behavior correction, as he stops, thinks about things, and feels guilty. It doesn't have the same effect with our younger son at all who needs more than that.

I don't think anyone can generalize that there is any single right approach at parenting for every kid. Undoubtedly some people take the "be the friend" approach too far, just as people have always take the "firm disciplinarian" approach too far to the point of actual abuse.

My own two kids are completely opposite when it comes to punishment for example. My older son responds very well to time outs for behavior correction, as he stops, thinks about things, and feels guilty. It doesn't have the same effect with our younger son at all who needs more than that.
I agree Donne, both of our kids respond totally different, and take different parenting approaches.

I don't totally agree with this. But there is a fine line. I'm friends with both of my kids. But they also know we have expectations, rules, and family values to live by. It's more about being active parents in their lives.

I'm with you on this. There is a time to be their friend, best at some points and a time not to be their friend. The important part of this line is that they know both sides of it.

Glad to hear everything is ok JN

Glad to hear Nate.

Glad to hear Nate!

Like ary said albuterol will increase hear rate and make him fidgety. They might have thrown in an atrovent as well.

Glad to hear things look okay JN! No good getting a scare like that.

My rant, grilling steak with a jacket on. Damn winter is just around the corner. At least my beer is staying cold.

utyqyrym.jpg

...and its here. Errr.

Sitting with Richard in the ER. He went into the clinic today for a cold, and the doctor, while taking his vital signs, found his heartbeat to be much slower than normal and his blood pressure all over the place. Got a call from Richard at work and rushed home to drive him to the hospital. I hope things are ok... But I'm just freaking out inside. Need some thoughts and good energy.

Just now reading this Nate. I hope all is well by now and my thoughts are with you and Richard.

JM

I love winter time, it is by far my favorite time of year. I love the cooler weather, the air smells better, and it's the holidays! However, I hate that it gets dark out so early. We haven't set the clocks back yet and it's already dark out by 7pm, that part I do not care for.

I love winter time, it is by far my favorite time of year. I love the cooler weather, the air smells better, and it's the holidays! However, I hate that it gets dark out so early. We haven't set the clocks back yet and it's already dark out by 7pm, that part I do not care for.

As do I. Just disappointed I now how to travel south to keep the golf game in top form. :D

You sure are complaining a lot tonight :D I too hate that it's dark at 7

The fact that you have to drink Tim Hortons coffee is a rant in itself. Worst java I have ever had in my life
I don't know why but this made me laugh. I love me some Timmy Ho's coffee any time of day!

And parents who want to be their kids best friend, not their parent. I liked and respected my parents, but they were never my friends (while I was growing up).
Totally agree. Kids need leadership and structure, not the coolest mom/dad in school. These are the parents that think "little johnny" is capable of no wrong meanwhile he's bullying a poor kid and getting away with it.

I agree with you there Morgan.

and participation trophies, and no winners/losers oh and pass/not pass grades
Again, totally agree. This whole 'protect our young from anything negative' crap has got to end. Life is unfair, life is hard, and life requires input. "Participation Awards" are a joke. I call it "communism for kids". The thing that I can't understand is all the so called leaders and professionals in the teaching industry and in gov't are the ones coming up with this junk. How is this happening?!

Pessimist = optimist with experience. :act-up:

JM

Come on cooler weather. This year has gone by so quick. Unfortunately, clocks going back definitely interferes with late afternoon golfing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Come on cooler weather. This year has gone by so quick. Unfortunately, clocks going back definitely interferes with late afternoon golfing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That is so true. You really can't have a tee time past 2, and that's pushing it.

Not that we get very cold winters here, but there is something wrong with Floridians claiming love of winter. What, does it drop to like upper 50s for lows? I kid, I kid, sorta.

Not that we get very cold winters here, but there is something wrong with Floridians claiming love of winter. What, does it drop to like upper 50s for lows? I kid, I kid, sorta.

Northern Florida will see teens and even single digits sometimes. Here in Sarasota we will usually be in the 60s during the day and 50s at night and then normally a week in February we hit the 40s. It's amazing because it's cool but the sky is always blue.

Agreed. Winter here means cold white stuff up to your butt cheeks and crazy people on the roads.

It's still too cold for my tastes

Northern Florida will see teens and even single digits sometimes. Here in Sarasota we will usually be in the 60s during the day and 50s at night and then normally a week in February we hit the 40s. It's amazing because it's cool but the sky is always blue.

Never realized it got that cold in northern Florida. I must admit, I'm quite jealous of 50s for lows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back