The Official Rory McIlroy Thread

So, how long will he hold #1?

So, how long will he hold #1?
Awesome to see. Hope he can put a run together and hold it for quite awhile, but I think it changes hands a few times this season. Too many quality guys out there right now.

Rory has few points to lose until they go to Bay Hill , where he won in 2018. Brooks has even less to lose as he did not play for the first three months of 2018. I reckon they will swap places consistently .

Looking forward to Rory and Brooks going at it. Wonder which tournament they will both be in before The Masters.

Looking forward to Rory and Brooks going at it. Wonder which tournament they will both be in before The Masters.
The next one. They're both scheduled to be at Riviera.

I'd put the over/under on 5 weeks
I'll take that over. There's not another major for a couple of months. Will Brooks even play before The Masters?

Rory may not be number 1 for all of 2020 but he will be number 1 at the end of 2020.

I'll take that over. There's not another major for a couple of months. Will Brooks even play before The Masters?
I think he's playing this week

Depends on how many points Tiger picks up with the win and how those under him do. If he finishes 2nd, then he might hold on to it. :eek::cool:
Should the question be, will he still be there after the Masters?

Rory for the win at Riviera

Needs to get a grip of his putting. Get whoever is the best coach and drill it. His putting was awful and has become a real weakness.

Needs to get a grip of his putting. Get whoever is the best coach and drill it. His putting was awful and has become a real weakness.
Has become? It's always been. Dude is incredible off the tee and with mid to long irons. His short game and putting has been horrible for years. He'd have twice the number of wins he has if he could putt any what consistently.

Nothing new. Unfortunately will always be streaky with it and he'll never be a great putter. His ball striking will always be his strongest aspect.

The larger concern on Sunday at Riv was his control off the of tee. Put himself in some bad spots on that course and just left himself no chance to make a move.

Still rooting for him to come through at Augusta in April. Would love to see him complete the slam.

What ruling body decreed that there are 5 Majors?

The PGA Tour gives the same number of Fedex Cup points for each of the 5. More than WGC events, which are more than regular Tour events.

I'm not sure how the PGA Tour decides how they'll award FedEx Cup points, but it makes sense that they'd wanna give lots of points for their premier event so they'll have a strong field.

The OWGR gives 100 points to the winner of the 4 Majors and only 80 to The Players winner and 76 to two of the WGC winners and 72 to two of the WGC winners. That's based on the strength of the field so I'd assume it could change from year to year. I'm not interested enough to research it.

It's obvious which FOUR tournaments are Majors if any thought is put into the question at all.

He's working with Faxon now, I'd trust what he'd be telling me if I were Rory

Back