The One Length Challenge: My Decision

Well done Tim! Definitely need to to see you in action with the OLs!

It's kind of like the golf you've seen before from me....the crappy kind.

Well done @time4tim & I thought you were almost ready to say the OL irons would be shelved. Congrats @JB & can’t wait to see what @golfunfiltered will be gaming next year!

Nice job Tim. OL irons are always in the back of my mind but could be an expensive experiment. Tough decision for sure but OL does make logical sense.

Love the thoughts. Looking forward to following it through the year as well. I am seriously considering going down the same path with my next set of irons.

Great post and appreciate the thoughts and decision to keep going with OL.

So in theory, every swing should be like that of the 7 iron but each club is lofted and weighted differently to match the sequencing in a normal set(4-pw for example).

Is this accurate? I thought the concept in SL was to have them all weigh the same. How do they keep swingweight playable?

Sounds like a solid decision and i'm sure you will only get better with them.

Good luck. I gave OL irons a shot. I built up a partial set of 4, 7, PW, LW and played them maybe 5-10 rounds and some range time. The wedges were difficult to get used to... especially on partial shots. The 4i wasn't nearly as easy as I thought it should be. In the end, I didn't feel it was worth the adjustment period.

I've been following the reviews; you've really done a great job. I hope the OL clubs help you out going forward - I'm dying to try them myself one day!

Great decision Tim! The improvement in GIRs alone will make the transition worth it.

I am weighing my options. What would you put him in?
I bet that excluding wrong handed or wonky will result in a lowering of his cap.

Wow, I read through all of that post thinking @JB was in big trouble only to be COMPLETELY surprised by the final decision. My question is what photos does @JB have of @time4tim? That’s the thread I want to see. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Noooo! Be afraid, very very afraid. :eek:

Is this accurate? I thought the concept in SL was to have them all weigh the same. How do they keep swingweight playable?
The internal weighting is different. The newer sets also have slightly different shafts throughout the set (for the stock option), but ultimately, the swing weight is the same throughout the set.

The internal weighting is different. The newer sets also have slightly different shafts throughout the set (for the stock option), but ultimately, the swing weight is the same throughout the set.

I get that the CG is different. The head weight is still the same, right?

Nice Tim! Looking forward to getting in a round with you down the line and seeing these bad boys in action

This was cool to follow with and I think you're making the right choice. You seemed to be hitting a lot of greens, just need the distance to get sorted out a bit. I'm really curious how this works for you long term.

I get that the CG is different. The head weight is still the same, right?
In theory. It was with the F8s, I'm not sure about the F9s, because the stock steel shaft changed weight slightly through the set. But every other shaft option would be the same throughout the set. My Morgan Cup set is Atmos with matching SW, so I don't know what to tell you other than sorcery. Mine feel identical from 5 to SW and that's what matters to me

I recently had a chance to pickup a mixed set of f9 irons. One length 3 hybrid-7 8-pw standard. So far I like the idea. Any thoughts on going with a mixed set like this

The lie is also different in each club too, correct?

The lie is also different in each club too, correct?
Yes, every Cobra set except for Forged Tour and F7 has progressive lie angles through the set

Yes, every Cobra set except for Forged Tour and F7 has progressive lie angles through the set
Keep in mind I haven't tried one length. But it seems strange to me that the concept is to use the same repeatable swing throughout the irons, yet lie angle is different.

Keep in mind I haven't tried one length. But it seems strange to me that the concept is to use the same repeatable swing throughout the irons, yet lie angle is different.

That seems odd to me as well. I have the F7s, so I haven’t experienced it. It seems like it would partially defeat the purpose.

It works out better for the majority of golfers. It's influenced by the natural tendencies of people swinging harder with the longer irons, plus the way that the shafts flex during the swing. After a few iterations of OL from Cobra, they've got it down pretty well.

Back