The One Length Challenge : My Journey

Campbell Toe

AKA Campbell Toe
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
For those of you who may have wandered by this post and and aren’t sure what’s going on, here is the lowdown: I have been challenged to try One Length Irons for 5 rounds and some range time to see if I could be persuaded to change full time to single length irons from variable length. The challenge was a contest created by JB from THP and Adam from the podcast: Golf Unfiltered. JB was a guest on the podcast and the conversation became whether or not a person could make the switch from variable length irons to single length full time. This conversation then became a bet between the two, which then became a contest to select someone from THP to take the challenge. I submitted my request and what do you know, I was selected.

I am a double digit handicapper who had struggled off and on with my iron play. I have come close many times to get into single digits only to have my iron game take a dump and desert me. I began playing Callaway Apex 19 irons this year and had great success until early September when my swing went south and I have yet to completely recover. I have always played cavity back irons with little offset. Usually along the lines of players clubs and usually tried to avoid game improvement irons. It was a case of being stubborn, thinking I was a better player than I really was I do believe. However at this time in my life, I am willing to try almost anything if it will help me to become a better golfer and a more consistent iron player.

Today I received a set of Cobra F9 One Length irons from THP. The set consists of 5-GW and yes, as the name says, they are all one length. It’s definitely a different experience if you have never put this set up next to a variable length set. I can see where it may become slightly unsettling to try something so drastically different. However I really feel like I need to approach this with an open mind and just swing the clubs and let the results happen.

3AC8505E-5C27-4EDC-B739-78C60F012156.jpeg

As you can see the heads on these are a pretty good size. A lot more cavity and a whole lot more sole than what I would normally play or even try. This set has KBS Tour 120 S shafts and stock Lamkin Crossline Cobra Connect grips. The weight of the shaft is a little more than the True Temper Elevate shafts I have in my Apex 19’s. I don’t think it will be an issue, but I am sure I will notice the difference for at least a few swings.

F58AAC7A-63A5-41A0-A979-A0D9EBD280D0.jpeg

CE59B581-D8B6-431F-9F4F-40F158C18104.jpeg

This is a challenge I excepted and very much look forward to starting . I am hoping to get a round in tomorrow afternoon and at least one more this weekend. I am very anxious to find out if I can make them a permanent fixture in my bag for the foreseeable future or will I become so aggravated that I will never want to experiment again. I look forward to reporting back and share my experiences with everyone on THP.

PS : I know there is more on the line with this challenge than just what fits me the best as someone (JB or Adam) will have a bag change themselves for the upcoming 2020 golf season depending on whether or not I keep the One Lengths in my bag. I am not taking this assignment lightly and will do my best to give everyone my honest opinions and feedback.

Those irons look great! That subtle blue line is just perfect.

Good luck on the course, I’m sure the clubs will treat you right!

I have been very curious about the one length clubs, even more since listening to that podcast on Golf Unfiltered. I will be following tho challenge to see how it goes for you and what your thoughts are. Thanks for taking the challenge!

Just noticed your set/entry for the Morgan Cup golden ticket. Interesting...

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on these irons, looking at doing the switch to one length myself.

Nice! Can’t wait to hear how they perform for you! Good luck!!!

Looking forward to your experiences with the switch. I have thought about OL myself.

Nice write up Tim. I’m looking forward to your updates on this. I can’t say I’m considering one length yet but I will be following along closely.
I assume you will be using Cobra Connect to track your stats for the 5 required rounds?

Can’t wait to follow along with the journey! Have fun!

Can’t wait to hear about your experience. Should be a fun follow.

Look forward to following along time4tim. This should be a fun experience.

I am really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these clubs. The One Length is definitely something I would like to try at some point.

Great start, Tim.

As someone who has played OL for two years and getting ready to transition back to progressive length clubs, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the process.

Good luck @time4tim and enjoy the experiment. I am looking forward to watching @golfunfiltered play hybrid irons next season!!

Looking forward to you gaming these past 5 rounds!

have fun with it tim!

Those are nice looking irons. Good luck with the experiment.

This will be a fun follow. Your post was awesome to read. I thought seriously about trying this because as a mid-single digit index, iron play is, BY FAR, the weakest part of my game.

Journey begins!!!
I’m following along and can’t wait to read your feedback!!!

I went in this last March with a serious thought at trying one length F9, but the results on the very few swings I had were not good. Perhaps if I had more range time and got used to it I would have had more luck. Intrigued to watch how this goes for you because iron play on approach 180-125 yards is my biggest weakness.

My problem with the one length was that there was not enough gaps on the monitor. Example: I hit 7 iron 150 yards on the monitor and the 5 iron 155 yards and 9 iron 145 yards. So for me, 9 iron was normal, 7 iron was 5-10 yards short and 5 iron was 25 yards short. But as I said, i didn’t give them much of a trial; I probably gave them less than 20 swings in the store

Last edited:
Excited for you Tim! Just trust the clubs and the process, that's really the biggest thing with OL.

Definitely interested in reading your feedback about the OL irons.

Back