The One Length Challenge : My Journey

One of the things that helped me along my transition to OL, was a range visit in which I refused to look at the bottom of the club. I pulled the irons out and set them all on the ground and purposefully put them in no particular order. From there I took 5 swings with an iron and tried to guess what club it was while recording distance.

It helped me get over the omg my PW is 7 iron length and my 4 iron is too. All while helping me learn and record my distances with 0 expectations.

Not sure if you will have the chance to hit the range but it may help some.

This is a great thing.
Per our original instructions, I hope that @time4tim is able to spend some time on the range, rather than just hitting a few shots and going to play. Its not a sprint, but him seeing 10-20 yards less distance in irons is not something I have seen before and think getting some time in might be beneficial.

Its why we put 5 rounds and 5 range sessions. I think your idea of not looking is a good one.

I am enjoying the follow here.

Just clicked into this somehow haha. I’m going back to read what you’ve got so far but looking forward to go through it. If I get an invite to the MC, I’m going OL to see how I do with a little prep and under pressure comp wise.

Great write up and love all the details - very well done. I've found the OL concept to be very intriguing, so I'm enjoying following along here.

One of the things that helped me along my transition to OL, was a range visit in which I refused to look at the bottom of the club. I pulled the irons out and set them all on the ground and purposefully put them in no particular order. From there I took 5 swings with an iron and tried to guess what club it was while recording distance.

It helped me get over the omg my PW is 7 iron length and my 4 iron is too. All while helping me learn and record my distances with 0 expectations.

Not sure if you will have the chance to hit the range but it may help some.
Really cool strategy! When I saw that @time4tim took his OL set right to the course I was a bit surprised as I would have assumed a couple range sessions would be necessary to get a feel prior to taking to the course.
When you did this range session not looking at #s of club what were you most surprised by? I feel like you would get a sense of the club based on the looks of the lofts, no?

This is a great thing.
Per our original instructions, I hope that @time4tim is able to spend some time on the range, rather than just hitting a few shots and going to play. Its not a sprint, but him seeing 10-20 yards less distance in irons is not something I have seen before and think getting some time in might be beneficial.

Its why we put 5 rounds and 5 range sessions. I think your idea of not looking is a good one.

I think I may try that. Also, I realize the rounds are going pretty quickly, but I have plans for some extended range to be mixed in. It’s just the way the schedule has fallen and I been fortunate with very good weather and the ability to play. Plus I am trying to be as transparent as possible with this assignment. If I play, I want to let the group know about it.

I think I may try that. Also, I realize the rounds are going pretty quickly, but I have plans for some extended range to be mixed in. It’s just the way the schedule has fallen and I been fortunate with very good weather and the ability to play. Plus I am trying to be as transparent as possible with this assignment. If I play, I want to let the group know about it.

Absolutely. As we mentioned in the original PM, we want 100% honesty (as long as it sides with me winning) :ROFLMAO:
I firmly believe as you get more range sessions in, the yardage on the course won’t be short. I have not seen that as of yet and think you will have your gaps filled pretty well.

Really cool strategy! When I saw that @time4tim took his OL set right to the course I was a bit surprised as I would have assumed a couple range sessions would be necessary to get a feel prior to taking to the course.
When you did this range session not looking at #s of club what were you most surprised by? I feel like you would get a sense of the club based on the looks of the lofts, no?
What surprised me most? The ease of one setup from 4-P. It was joyous being able to take the same setup every single time and not have to worry about anything. Setup like you would with a 7i and voila you’re good to go.

To your point yes you can guess which club you have based off the loft. You can also tell by the junk in the trunk if you REALLY want to know. I tried my best to focus only on putting a good move on the ball and less about the number on the bottom. Found that as I did that, things clicked a lot better.

Great write-ups, Tim! I have been thinking hard about giving OL a go next year, so following along closely.

Lots of GIR's, but sounds like bad distance control. You should probably just switch back and return the clubs to JB.

I didn’t get that at all from his round description. I got lot’s of GIR and great distance control...just a bit shorter than he is used to.

I didn’t get that at all from his round description. I got lot’s of GIR and great distance control...just a bit shorter than he is used to.

He is just messing around because of our wager. :ROFLMAO:

The shorter distances are weird. When I played OL some clubs were actually longer than variable length

When is your next range session Tim? Any chance you could post some videos of some swings with the clubs you’re having distance control issues with?

I think you need to spend some range time to give them a fair shake. I can see how hitting a GW the length of a 7i would be disconcerting. With some repetitions I would think you would get used to it. I hope you can find the time to get some experience with them. It sounds like you have been playing decent golf with them even without being totally comfortable yet.

Update for 11/24/2019

Went out for some range time and another round with the One Lengths. As I was warming up with my orange whip and in between taking glimpses at the hot brunette in yoga pants just down from me I noticed another golfer taking some wacks with his irons. I became fixated with his swing and how little effort it was taking him to hit some really nice shots. After a couple more glances at Miss Yoga(yes I am old but I still have a pulse...barley), I decided to give the OL's a whirl and began work on being a little more deliberate with my swings.

I started with about 6-8 PW swings and mainly focused on a slow takeaway and rotating through the shot to finish. After a couple of skied shots I began to get in a bit of a rhythm. I had used a range finder to scope some the markers on the range to get an idea on the distance I was getting. The PW was getting me right around 115 yards. Still a little short, but I could work with it. Moved to an 8 iron for another 12 balls and was getting right around 145. Minimum of about 140 and a max of 150. Definitely better than the first couple of days. Next I moved to about 8-10 swings with the 6 iron. I was only getting around 165 and a max of maybe 170-172. I hadn't been carry a six iron over the last few months with the Apex as it felt, well...too long sometimes(that's what she said!) I could definitely see myself using the OL six iron as it just feel so much better than a variable length version. The ball flight is a little lower than what I remember a variable 6 iron would be and the distance was just a little less, but I had more control. Finally I hit a dozen balls with my nemesis, the GW. As I mentioned before, I haven't had much success with any set version of a GW/AW. Half the time, I would just remove it from my bag and choke down on a PW. The session with the GW was not great. Still feel like I wanted to slide under it a bit and would really sky most of the shots. I would get anywhere from 90-105 yards with it. If I could somehow manage to get closer to the 105 mark I would consider using it more. Decided it was time to play 18!

I am not going to do a huge write up on the round, as It gets kind of repetitive and I really appreciate those of you that have been checking into this thread to see how things are going on this little experience/experiment. I will say, I had a really good day of golf. I had been driving the ball really well over the last couple of weeks and to have it continue today was great. Short game/putting was absolutely on point. Only 28 putts is always good in my book. 11/14 fairways was awesome. However, I did have 12/18 GIR. Which is probably close to double of what I average. I tend to be a guy that gets close to the green, chips it close and makes a put to save a par/bogey. The straight ball flight from the OL's have been huge. Yes I am still coming up a little short, but that is more to do with the swing. I see that now after my range session. Putting on an actual "good" swing will do wonders for your score, and I have finally noticed. Yeah, still a work in progress. Trust me, I keep reminding myself that all the time. However, can I say that MAYBE I am starting to see a glimmer of hope, a small spec of light is radiating into my subconsciousness. I am in the embryonic stages of OL, but I am beginning to see that MAYBE, one swing can and will work.

Not trying to get ahead of myself or jump to conclusions too soon. It's just nice to see a little work and grit finally manifest into some semblance of golf. On hole 2 I had 161 to the flag. I aimed a little too much to the right and put in the green side bunker. I was disappointed, but it felt like I had hit that one pretty well. When I got to the trap the ball splashed pin high. Distance was spot on for that one shot. Got up and down for par and all is good. I go to hole three, which was playing as a 125 yard par 3. Under struck the PW tee shot so bad that it was lucky to have traveled 100 yards. A chip and putt later and par is scored. I jump to hole nine were I had 168 left and pulled 7 iron just wanting to get to the center of the green on a deep positioned flag. I ended up a little short of center, but still on the green and two putts later I was in with par. I then head to twelve where this hole typically gives me fits because of a right dogleg. Hit a solid drive and had 156 left to the pin in a deep right position. I pull 7 iron and hit it deep left. Actually hit a draw, but I was stoked with the result. Two putt par. Hole 13 was a disaster, pulled a 7 iron over and left of the green with a 154 yard pin placement. Next thing I knew, it was a double bogey. Accidents happen, stuck well but pulled badly. Hole 14 had...guess it...105 to the flag. Time for Mr. GW. OH NO! Hit to pin high, right side of the green, barely missed the putt for the bird. Ended up with par, I 'll take it. Hole 16 was a 110 par 3, little in between clubs for me so I went GW. Under hit it a bit, but on the green. Sunk the birdie putt, third of the day. Last hole, 18 was well...one of those that you can only laugh about. As I mentioned earlier, I played really well today. So well, that with a par I WOULD have shot 75. Best score in over a year. My game is such that when things are going good I will shoot in the low 80's. I have shot in the 70's maybe less than the digits on two hands total. I can score very high also. Last couple of months I have had a few rounds in the low 90's. So I never know what I am going to do. However I HAD 75 staring back at me on 18. It was playing as a 460 yard par 4. Hit my drive to where I had 163 left. Took out 7 iron, figuring at worst I hit it 140 and I am still on the green. As I was taking the club back, the thought of a SHANK for some strange reason came into my head and on the downswing I figured I needed to do whatever I could to make sure I DID NOT shank it. So I hit the biggest pull I think I have ever hit in my life with an iron. It was probably 50 yards left of the green and barley in bounds in the weeds. Had to take a drop, proceeded to hit it into a green side bunker, blast out and two putt for a killer seven and finish with a 78. All I could do is smile and laugh. I couldn't be mad. I played too damn well to be upset.

I don't want anyone to think that decision has already been made, because it hasn't. I am still learning the nuances of using OL and I still have a ways to go and a lot of work. Getting rid of an old habit(variable irons) is not easy and maybe in the long run isn't worth losing. I still have more range time and a couple of rounds before I make a decision. I will say, after a day like today, it's going to be a lot harder than I thought.

Thanks for the updates! I'm enjoying following along with your journey. I have a couple sets of 1 length irons but really haven't given them too much bag time. Every once in a while I'll feel like switching things up and put one of the single length sets in the bag for a round. Results aren't terrible but just end up going back to one of my regular length sets after a few rounds. Reading this thread makes me want to try again!

Thanks for the updates! I'm enjoying following along with your journey. I have a couple sets of 1 length irons but really haven't given them too much bag time. Every once in a while I'll feel like switching things up and put one of the single length sets in the bag for a round. Results aren't terrible but just end up going back to one of my regular length sets after a few rounds. Reading this thread makes me want to try again!

I have really enjoyed the process so far. I am typically the type of person that will try something with my golf game once and if I don’t like it, will usually toss it away. This is forcing me to actually look at my game a little differently and I am finding things I can work on and develop...I think and hope anyways.

Yes I am still coming up a little short, but that is more to do with the swing. I see that now after my range session. Putting on an actual "good" swing will do wonders for your score, and I have finally noticed.
Love following your progress and seeing how things are starting to make some sense. One of the biggest things OL has given me is a much better ability to focus on improving and fine tuning my swing, so I'm excited to see what a little more range time will do for you.

The GIR you are getting is really impressive.

When I played the one length, in my opinion the hardest part of it the "shorter" clubs in the set was committing to the shot. So you take a little off and you end up coming up way short. For me I found it really hard to trust that, what I tried to do was at the range was alternate hitting the GW with the "longer clubs" focusing on making the same swing.

Doing it blind as J sizzle recommended would probably be even better.

The GIR you are getting is really impressive.

When I played the one length, in my opinion the hardest part of it the "shorter" clubs in the set was committing to the shot. So you take a little off and you end up coming up way short. For me I found it really hard to trust that, what I tried to do was at the range was alternate hitting the GW with the "longer clubs" focusing on making the same swing.

Doing it blind as J sizzle recommended would probably be even better.

In my eyes, the GW head just looks so much bigger and rounder than the other clubs.

In my eyes, the GW head just looks so much bigger and rounder than the other clubs.

It is the loft, so you see a lot more of the face at address. It is 100% mental, and knowing that doesn't make it any easier, at least in my experience.

Back