The One Length Challenge : My Journey

One length people: Can you tell me your approximate 7 iron distance? Also, what’s your yardage gap between 5 and 9 iron. I just started experimenting with one length. I think the yardage at the store was off, but I was mainly looking at the gap. I had 46 yards between 5 iron and 9 iron which is almost exactly what I have with my current set gap wise.
Last summer when my swing was actually good, this was my approximate gapping with F9s

5 195
6 182
7 169
8 156
9 144
P 133
G 122
S 110

Last summer when my swing was actually good, this was my approximate gapping with F9s

5 195
6 182
7 169
8 156
9 144
P 133
G 122
S 110
That gapping looks spot on Paul!

5i 182
6i 175
7i 164
8i 151
9i 143

based off what I remember from GG

5 195
6 182
7 169
8 156
9 144
P 133
G 122
S 110

thanks, gentlemen. I hit a Forged Tec 7i the other day at a golf shop and it looked like about my normal distance of approx 160 carry yards. Today when I hit the 5i and 9i one length, I had a gap like I wanted, but it was showing the 5 iron as only 161 yards and the 9i as 115 yds. I think the monitor at Pga store was set different or something, but that is why I asked the question. I only hit 5 shots with each iron and they felt great.

I am trying to get to a demo outdoors soon that has more shafts to try and maybe a trackman. I was pleasantly surprised with swinging forged tec one length today.

Just a quick update in case anyone was curious....I have gone back to variable length irons. Played a round last week and really felt more comfortable than I had in a while playing irons. Had a range session with variable lengths this past weekend and decided for the time being that I would make the switch. My buddy DoctorMizuno hooked me up with a set of Titleist T200’s and I used them this weekend and enjoyed myself playing golf for the first time in a while. Not saying I didn’t enjoy the OL, I think I just got myself in a bad place swing wise and I was really struggling. I still love the concept and I could see myself going back to them. I think it was just time for a restart on my behalf. Because I am such a mental case when it comes to striking irons, I need to start something new when I am in a good frame of mind and not at a time of desperation or looking for a “cure all. I tried to be as honest as possible with how I was adjusting to the OL and how my play corresponded with the change. However as the last couple of months have gone on, my game was just not where I wanted it to be. I thank everyone for their time, patience and interaction with me,while I was on this journey.

Back