CONTEST The One Length Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don’t think that Bryson moves the equipment needle, work a shift at DICK’S after he’s at the top of the leaderboard at a tournament. There will be at least 3 people walk in with their long irons and want them cut down to the 7 iron length, and you have to explain that it doesn’t really work like that...

I have seen so many frankensets around the country in my travels and they are not helping people haha.

I think I apply as a candidate for this as the MOST comfortable I have ever felt with any set of clubs is my 7i. Also, who doesn't love some winter golf/range/simulator data on the show!

Great show gentlemen, can't wait to see Adam play some T-rail's or Launchers!

There's no chance someone makes the switch to One Length.

You would be such a great candidate for this, as you fall heavily into Adam's camp.
But no.
You're absolutely right. Zero interest and zero intention of switching to one length.

Happy to watch people have success with it though!

I was seriously pondering a set of OL in the F7 version before I settled on my Srixons. Good thing I didn't, because it sounds like the F9 has a lot more Tech, and a lot of lessons learned built in, and the OL design by Cobra has drastically changed. I actually hit my 4i and 5i pretty high, so I wonder how the OL would affect my ball flight, since it seems like they fly lower in the OL. I run into trouble with my 4i, because I feel like I need to swing it harder to make it go farther. I usually end up opening up, and it slices to the right. All in all a great discussion on a subject I looked into earlier this year. Granted I was looking at the F7, so the reviews were both good and bad, it being the first iteration from Cobra. But now, with their knowledge and upgrades in the F9, it seems like Cobra have a good One Length package.

One thing that came to my mind is I know I've done it, and people I golfed with have done it. But who has grabbed a 6i instead of a 9i, or vice versa, and not noticed until you hit it 30 yards long, or 30 yards short. One common complaint I've heard of OL is the look at address, and if it doesn't affect you then (6i for a 9i), it won't affect you with a OL set, IMO. I know, maybe you think I should be more observant and know that's not a 9i, or 6i, but sometimes, when you are playing you just go through your shot routine and don't play that close of attention. Maybe I'm crazy, but it's happened before, and I'm sure it will happen again.

I'd love to try these out, just not sure how much on course feedback I could get you until Spring. I do feel like it would be a good fit as I enjoy hitting my 7i, behind only my 8i and wonder how much of a groove I could get into hitting the same length iron all the time. I typically don't get a lot of range time after the beginning of the season, so if I can minimize the variables needed to hit good iron shots, I think I would see a benefit.

Hey, free clubs for a bit of a review can make someone switch easily. Especially if "someone" catches lightning in a bottle in regards to those rounds played. Hands down I'd switch if I broke 90 with OL

Us lefties are always left out.

Actually on THP, rarely out. Almost every contest we have is for either dexterity. In this instance we have a single set of irons only and it happens to be RH.

****, I'd kind of like to make the switch now just to spite GU. ;)

I love the idea of this, if someone gives it a legit chance with a lot of feedback, we would ALL be the better for it.

Even though we all love golf here on THP, not everyone gets out and golfs on a weekly basis, or multiple times per week. For those that dont, I think OL has a potential to help them because they have less variables to account for while hitting irons. Get one setup and one swing right and it will help your game if you struggle with iron play.

YESSSSSSS

someone is going to find themselves much happier playing golf

I fall kind of heavily in to Adam's camp as well. I guess that's just the traditionalist in me. It'd be a fun experiment for sure, especially with Cobra Connect documenting it all. I wouldn't say there's zero chance I'd switch, but the numbers would have to be really impressive for that to happen. Me being pretty dang set in my ways I'm probably not the best candidate for this.

I'm kind of cracking up at JB's statement "Play the most forgiving clubs you can stand to look at." We had that discussion in another thread regarding ironwoods. I'm cracking up because as I was listening to this, the ironwood mentioned earlier is sitting right behind me in my extra club pile at work even though it was so easy to hit. :ROFLMAO:

I can't wait to see who gets to test these, and choose the fate on JB or Adam's 2020 bag. This one will be one to follow for a long time!

I am all over this. I have been contemplating making the switch for a while now and would enjoy documenting my experiences. I will listen to the podcast later today and submit my official entry.

Very interested in finding out who wants to give this challenge a go and create a journey thread. I’ll certainly follow along!

Ps. love the grandaddy shoutout. Best live thread of the year!

I fall kind of heavily in to Adam's camp as well. I guess that's just the traditionalist in me. It'd be a fun experiment for sure, especially with Cobra Connect documenting it all. I wouldn't say there's zero chance I'd switch, but the numbers would have to be really impressive for that to happen. Me being pretty dang set in my ways I'm probably not the best candidate for this.

I'm kind of cracking up at JB's statement "Play the most forgiving clubs you can stand to look at." We had that discussion in another thread regarding ironwoods. I'm cracking up because as I was listening to this, the ironwood mentioned earlier is sitting right behind me in my extra club pile at work even though it was so easy to hit. :ROFLMAO:

I can't wait to see who gets to test these, and choose the fate on JB or Adam's 2020 bag. This one will be one to follow for a long time!

You hit that club so well based On your review yet moved on. For the traditionalist in you, I recommend some wood shafts and a mashie. ?

I think JB was spot on with his position, and if I went back to a set of these, I would definitely go with a "two length" set as JB described. Some people, like myself, tend to choke down on wedges for distance or feel reasons, and I find that choking down on a 7i length gap wedge is really weird. I have no doubt that if someone gives these clubs a fair shake, they will be absolutely shocked at how far they will hit the long irons.

Also, if my memory is correct, my stock F9 OL set came with progressively weighted shafts, so KBS Tour 80 for 4-6, Tour 90 for 7-9, and I think Tour 120 for PW and GW.

They make so much sense. Not sure I believe they would work. I believe both of yall on the podcast. The mental hurdle to swing every club the same is something totally different, not sure I would be able to overcome it. If you really stuck to it it makes a lot of sense to someone like me that only plays a couple times a month. In the same breath, unlearning 30 years of hitting variable length irons seems burdensome.
My biggest issue is undoubtedly set up. Distance from and placement of ball in stance has been a moving target all year. Doing the same thing for every club would help that, I would think. Would love to try them and fail (or succeed).

They make so much sense. Not sure I believe they would work. I believe both of yall on the podcast. The mental hurdle to swing every club the same is something totally different, not sure I would be able to overcome it. If you really stuck to it it makes a lot of sense to someone like me that only plays a couple times a month. In the same breath, unlearning 30 years of hitting variable length irons seems burdensome.
My biggest issue is undoubtedly set up. Distance from and placement of ball in stance has been a moving target all year. Doing the same thing for every club would help that, I would think. Would love to try them and fail (or succeed).
For distance from and placement of the ball, you would only have 1 moving target, instead of 7 moving targets. At least this is how I feel about One Length.

You hit that club so well based On your review yet moved on. For the traditionalist in you, I recommend some wood shafts and a mashie. ?
I haven't completely abandoned it yet. I'm still in the testing process actually. It's here at work for a shaft change. Throwing something a little more stout in it and trying it again. Yeah I hit it well, but I just felt like I had to lay off a little with the stock shaft in it. It's getting a Fuji 8.8s I had laying around, tipped alot... should be fun.

Ad far as the OL goes, that would be a fun experiment. But definitely advantage Adam if I'm the one doing the testing. ;)

Listened to the podcast. Enjoyable discussion. JB is a confident and persuasive guy. But nope to one length. I like how my game is growing and have zero interest in trying to figure out things like long wedges and short long irons. Niche stuff for a unique and very small group of players. I will enjoy seeing the n=1 experiment and will bet money right now that person decides to love them primarily out of respect for getting the opportunity, not outcomes.

I do want to see the metal detector putter!

In the market for new irons and I’m curious about OL. I tend to struggle with consistency with my longer irons and I know that Im inconsistent with setting up to the ball. I think the OL might be a good solution. Would love to find out ??

Interesting contest but I don't think I want that pressure that comes with those 5 rounds! This will be an interesting follow though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back