CONTEST The One Length Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fate of JB's trusty second driver vs Adam's blade obsession. Epic.

Interesting segment on the perfect player for this. Interesting to see if the 7 iron length garners performance or is really a placebo effect on the golfer. Swinging with confidence with long irons would be beneficial.

Entry:
Iron Play is the worst part of my game, GIR % is 35% for the year, while FIR % is at 60% for the year.

I would absolutely be willing to try anything that would help my iron play, and these irons won the ‘19 Morgan Cup, so why not?

I can get the 5 rounds in and have access to a launch monitor, to allow the forum to follow the journey.

I am more of a science than a feel player, and OL make a lot of sense, as they reduce variables. I will be able to game these, but also be able to compare them side by side in a sim, with 2 other current gen iron sets. I am familiar enough with the golf swing to be insightful, and play at a level understandable to the majority of players, even those who score better than I.

Listened to the podcast. Enjoyable discussion. JB is a confident and persuasive guy. But nope to one length. I like how my game is growing and have zero interest in trying to figure out things like long wedges and short long irons. Niche stuff for a unique and very small group of players. I will enjoy seeing the n=1 experiment and will bet money right now that person decides to love them primarily out of respect for getting the opportunity, not outcomes.

I do want to see the metal detector putter!

What is to figure out? Unless your set doesn't have a 7 iron.

Interesting segment on the perfect player for this. Interesting to see if the 7 iron length garners performance or is really a placebo effect on the golfer. Swinging with confidence with long irons would be beneficial.

Did you give the part a listen where we talk about the misnomers?

I listened to the podcast, and have my own preconceived notions/ideas regarding One Length irons (I had the opportunity to hit a couple different offerings thanks to @ChristopherKee). However, I'm not sure I could give a full set an honest run. Primarily because, in my mind, the stepped set (woods, OL 4-9, shorter length wedges), and what I will call a "plateaued" set (woods, OL to the transition iron, variable length to the bottom) make more sense. To me the OL concept of a "single swing" - somewhat of a misnomer since the top of the bag still has longer and variable length clubs - is aimed at players who have difficulty consistently striking the longer irons (which I do). Also, amateur ball striking tends to improve as club length decreases, while punishment for mishits is far less in the shorter "scoring" irons than in the longer irons. In my mind, the OL concept offers diminishing returns here. Also, one thing Adam pointed out is the added challenge of using the wedges/scoring irons for partial and "touch" shots when they are all a single length. It's a new learning curve that can be avoided with one of the above alternate configurations. Secondly, but also important, is that the foul weather months are upon me and the opportunities to get these out for comparison/play will become too sparse for me to provide meaningful feedback in the coming weeks. One of you warm weather folks can be the guinea pig on this one (y)

I listened to the podcast, and have my own preconceived notions/ideas regarding One Length irons (I had the opportunity to hit a couple different offerings thanks to @ChristopherKee). However, I'm not sure I could give a full set an honest run. Primarily because, in my mind, the stepped set (woods, OL 4-9, shorter length wedges), and what I will call a "plateaued" set (woods, OL to the transition iron, variable length to the bottom) make more sense. To me the OL concept of a "single swing" - somewhat of a misnomer since the top of the bag still has longer and variable length clubs - is aimed at players who have difficulty consistently striking the longer irons (which I do). Also, amateur ball striking tends to improve as club length decreases, while punishment for mishits is far less in the shorter "scoring" irons than in the longer irons. In my mind, the OL concept offers diminishing returns here. Also, one thing Adam pointed out is the added challenge of using the wedges/scoring irons for partial and "touch" shots when they are all a single length. It's a new learning curve that can be avoided with one of the above alternate configurations. Secondly, but also important, is that the foul weather months are upon me and the opportunities to get these out for comparison/play will become too sparse for me to provide meaningful feedback in the coming weeks. One of you warm weather folks can be the guinea pig on this one (y)

Im not sure I agree with the above as a blanket statement.
See what happens when you compare a PW for golfers to a 60* over the course of a few rounds.

LoL. It's different. I think the scoring irons and wedges are what make me cringe. I like the shorter length for control and feel at that end of the set. I have an expectation that longer there would have less control. I don't really want to have to figure out choking up either. I would likely adapt fine to the lower irons. I have no doubt Cobra has done a good job setting these up for gaps and buy 100% into the ease of hitting modern clubs regardless of loft. But I don't see how one length is an improvement.

LoL. It's different. I think the scoring irons and wedges are what make me cringe. I like the shorter length for control and feel at that end of the set. I have an expectation that longer there would have less control. I don't really want to have to figure out choking up either. I would likely adapt fine to the lower irons. I have no doubt Cobra has done a good job setting these up for gaps and buy 100% into the ease of hitting modern clubs regardless of loft. But I don't see how one length is an improvement.

Im not sure if you listened to the show, but what choking up? That wouldn't change for distance gaps anymore than it would now. Your distances should be the same.

Im not sure I agree with the above as a blanket statement.
See what happens when you compare a PW for golfers to a 60* over the course of a few rounds.

Exception noted, but I don't play a 60*, and I definitely don't full swing my 58*. I may be slow, but I learn eventually.

Listened to the podcast and I can see both sides of the "argument" so to speak. Really enjoyed the analogy of comparing one lenght vs variable to whether Deep Dish was pizza. :ROFLMAO:

I cannot disagree with the comment about swinging differently depending on the club in hand. I know that I swing a bit differently when I am getting into any of my wedges.

Personally where I am at with skill level in my golfing game, I would love the opprtunity to try one length irons that could possibly provide a benefit to my accuracy or to my game.

Did you give the part a listen where we talk about the misnomers?

Yes, much more complex than same shaft on different heads. To your point, swinging different clubs with weighting and MOI to groove the same swing.

Yes, much more complex than same shaft on different heads. To your point, swinging different clubs with weighting and MOI to groove the same swing.

So genuine question. If I were to hand you a new set of irons (not OL) or a new driver, how long does it take you before you can play them?
I hear all the time about how hard is it to change, but it doesn't seem to be the case at THP Events, so am really curious.

Im not sure if you listened to the show, but what choking up? That wouldn't change for distance gaps anymore than it would now. Your distances should be the same.

I have to think there would be some transition time required to dial those choked/partial shots in with OL clubs. A GW wedge that weights as much as a 7i is going to require more head speed to hit the ball a given distance than a standard GW. That's going to take some time and practice to figure out.

I have to think there would be some transition time required to dial those choked/partial shots in with OL clubs. A GW wedge that weights as much as a 7i is going to require more head speed to hit the ball a given distance than a standard GW. That's going to take some time and practice to figure out.

Why? If you hit your 7 iron a certain distance and swing it a certain way. You would swing your GW the same and it would go the distance expected.
I hear about the partial shots and choked up playing, but I rarely see it. In fact in most threads discussing it, the overwhelming response is people dont like that now and have more wedges so they dont have to.

So genuine question. If I were to hand you a new set of irons (not OL) or a new driver, how long does it take you before you can play them?
I hear all the time about how hard is it to change, but it doesn't seem to be the case at THP Events, so am really curious.

Honestly, I think if you hand me a new club and I grab it at the club house and hit a bucket of balls, I would probably have a fine day, assuming it wasn't a blade type club. probably not going to hit everything (100%) pure or on line. I am also a high cap, so would take it after the course to the range.

this happens in the golf league, where people get new irons throughout the season. First thing we do is take a turn hitting them on the range. An Example - G400 took three swings and then started hitting them really well. If they are beneficial, I think taking some practice cuts and then figure it out.

Honestly, I think if you hand me a new club and I grab it at the club house and hit a bucket of balls, I would probably have a fine day, assuming it wasn't a blade type club. probably not going to hit everything (100%) pure or on line. I am also a high cap, so would take it after the course to the range.

this happens in the golf league, where people get new irons throughout the season. First thing we do is take a turn hitting them on the range. An Example - G400 took three swings and then started hitting them really well. If they are beneficial, I think taking some practice cuts and then figure it out.

Well then I think you are psyching yourself out over some major change with OL. The irony being that you probably grab the 7 iron to test, which is exactly the club most grab in the instances above, nothing changes.

@golfunfiltered had one part right. Golfers do fear change
Not all of us.

I was just talking to someone today and my answer to "what clubs do you use" was "whichever works best for me."

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Why? If you hit your 7 iron a certain distance and swing it a certain way. You would swing your GW the same and it would go the distance expected.
I hear about the partial shots and choked up playing, but I rarely see it. In fact in most threads discussing it, the overwhelming response is people dont like that now and have more wedges so they dont have to.
That's something that I've been wondering about as this discussion has gone on. I dont take partial swings into account for yardage until I get under 100 yards, so my current 50* wedge. Anything PW to 4i is my normal swing. Do many have different swings with each club to close distances to smaller than 10 yards gaps?

That might explain the decrease in ball striking quality with 60* wedges you alluded to earlier. :unsure:

Well then I think you are psyching yourself out over some major change with OL. The irony being that you probably grab the 7 iron to test, which is exactly the club most grab in the instances above, nothing changes.

Messages must be crossed... I am saying I would love to try them and think they would be great for my game as it takes the "fear" out of long irons.

Here's why I'm going to win this bet. We are wagering that a regular golfer who currently uses a variable length set will a) try OL clubs for 5 rounds and b) will be able to make a judgement call that they're better golfers because of the switch.

Cobra Connect is an incredible value and measuring tool. I don't think anyone can make the switch after 5 rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back