CONTEST The One Length Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
heck yeah. The last time I played a OL set was when the F7 OL came out and I had them for review. I flew to Georgia and didn't have irons with me, got them from JB that Friday morning, and played 4 rounds of golf with them in 3 days on a course I had never seen and was just fine. I firmly believe the changes they have made since then will alleviate some of the issues I personally saw with them, but I kept them in the bag until late spring when another review set came in. I believe people overthink way too much in golf, and making this switch is something that I'd put in that category.
Oh I have no doubt I'm overthinking it. That usually is the case... can't seem to get out of my own way. :ROFLMAO:

Oh I have no doubt I'm overthinking it. That usually is the case... can't seem to get out of my own way. :ROFLMAO:

come on Kev, you can do. Get that brain out of the way. I know you mentioned the AW being strange, I'll tell you what, one of my favorite shots with that OL F7 set, was the pitch with the AW, just choke up a bit(not crazy) and hit like normal. Plus the height I would get on the short irons made the ball just come down and stop. It was pretty crazy.

come on Kev, you can do. Get that brain out of the way. I know you mentioned the AW being strange, I'll tell you what, one of my favorite shots with that OL F7 set, was the pitch with the AW, just choke up a bit(not crazy) and hit like normal. Plus the height I would get on the short irons made the ball just come down and stop. It was pretty crazy.
Maybe. It'd be fun for sure. I think I'd just have to not think about the hard measurements, suck it up and do work. I'd be game to give it a shot as I'm really curious, especially after listening to the podcast and this thread. Even with all the club testing I've done locally the last couple years, I've never hit any iron from a OL set. I've just never picked one up to try it. But that would be one heck of a risk for JB to take on the status of his 2nd driver. Gamble gamble! lol

Maybe. It'd be fun for sure. I think I'd just have to not think about the hard measurements, suck it up and do work. I'd be game to give it a shot as I'm really curious, especially after listening to the podcast and this thread. Even with all the club testing I've done locally the last couple years, I've never hit any iron from a OL set. I've just never picked one up to try it. But that would be one heck of a risk for JB to take on the status of his 2nd driver. Gamble gamble! lol

I'm all for switching out of spite haha

Listened to the podcast. Enjoyable discussion. JB is a confident and persuasive guy. But nope to one length. I like how my game is growing and have zero interest in trying to figure out things like long wedges and short long irons. Niche stuff for a unique and very small group of players. I will enjoy seeing the n=1 experiment and will bet money right now that person decides to love them primarily out of respect for getting the opportunity, not outcomes.

I do want to see the metal detector putter!

I think the subset of players that could really take advantage of one length is much bigger than you might believe.

Great episode @golfunfiltered & @JB ! Question though, why do they offer different lie angles throughout the set?

So reading through this I see where several people have had the opportunity to test one length. But how many then became adopters and stuck with one length? My data-free, bias-based expectation is that one length can work fine but for most golfers it won't add a significant performance benefit. And to invest and commit to a change, I think most of us would want to identify clear benefits, not just a different take with similar results.

I am looking to change my equipment. With irons, in particular, I think I can find a set with an improved fit that will help me to lower my scores. I'm investing time to research and test to find what works for me. I just don't see anything out there that points me toward single length. If I could hit more consistent shots and score better with them, I would jump and not look back. I applaud JB for pushing an innovative option. But I really think he's going to be adapting to new clubs picked by golfunfiltered. :cool:

In my case I immediately saw a difference in feel and dispersion. For me, it was a no-brainer. I'm gambling on the implication that switching to OL is extreme enough that it will take someone more than 5 rounds to decide.

Bad bet. It took me two rounds to decide, and 3-4 to figure them out and hit them very well.

I think the subset of players that could really take advantage of one length is much bigger than you might believe.

Maybe. I admit my bias. I've played with people using Cobra one length. They liked the heads. They played well. I asked lots of questions. None of the feedback made me want to try them. IDK.

Great episode @golfunfiltered & @JB ! Question though, why do they offer different lie angles throughout the set?

They discovered this while working with Bryson. It goes back to the mental part we talked about between swinging a 5 iron and a PW.

Many fitters will show that different amounts of toe down take place as shaft lengths change and why some use a more flat angle in wedges. To simplify, its just another aspect that comes from the mental side that Cobra has already adjusted for.

So reading through this I see where several people have had the opportunity to test one length. But how many then became adopters and stuck with one length? My data-free, bias-based expectation is that one length can work fine but for most golfers it won't add a significant performance benefit. And to invest and commit to a change, I think most of us would want to identify clear benefits, not just a different take with similar results.

I am looking to change my equipment. With irons, in particular, I think I can find a set with an improved fit that will help me to lower my scores. I'm investing time to research and test to find what works for me. I just don't see anything out there that points me toward single length. If I could hit more consistent shots and score better with them, I would jump and not look back. I applaud JB for pushing an innovative option. But I really think he's going to be adapting to new clubs picked by golfunfiltered. :cool:

Im not sure I understand as it appears most that gave them a try in this thread made a switch. See @jlew2144 @dazeedmonds etc. The flip side is where I don’t see much of people that actually tried and didn’t switch.

I love how almost every misnomer about OL has been posted and refuted by @JB.

For anyone wondering about an actual example, I switched to OL and went from 36+ down to 22 in about 17 months.

I was hoping to get to 17.9 by the end of the year, but I've been out since about late June with a wrist issue. But in the only round I've played since then, the only swings I'd taken in 2 months were range balls before the round, and I went and shot an 86. I'm going to ride OL down to <18, then single digits, and as low as I can become capable of.

Im not sure I understand as it appears most that gave them a try in this thread made a switch. See @jlew2144 @dazeedmonds etc. The flip side is where I don’t see much of people that actually tried and didn’t switch.

Well crap. It was really comfortable in my bias bubble. :cautious:

If they turn out to work great I'd play OL clubs 4-Putter if it got me scoring well enough.

Well, I'm pretty sold and the Forged Tecs have me in heavy ponder mode now :unsure:

• Mind Blown
Reactions: JB
All good thoughts and views. I'm pushing for ozzman and following some golf in Cuba. Good luck.

I've been playing OL irons for a little over a year and will continue unless I fall for a set that doesn't come in OL, looking at you T-rail.

I'm a high cap who has a tendency to lose my swing every year for a bit, regardless of what clubs I'm playing, but i've played my best golf with OL and I really didn't struggle with the longer PW/GW in my bag. I think anyone who gives them a fair shot will be impressed, switching full time may depend on the clubs and how they look/feel in your hands.

As one who plays them I can't/won't enter this but I will follow with interest to see how the winner gets along with them. Good luck to those who enter, you may just find these to be winners in your hands!

Great Podcast and cool idea for a thread. I hope @JB gets that two length set together for himself as it sounds like a good enough idea that its surprising its not already available.

I've wanted to try OLs for a few years and these newer ones seem even better. We have the weather here in NC to get the rounds and practice in for the thread but I'm not sure if I will be able to fit it all in with my schedule. This is ironic because I think OLs would help my play since I always seem to have multi week gaps between rounds.

Can't wait to follow the winner's journey.

Can't wait to listen to the podcast! I don't know how changes in loft alone can provide the necessary gaps in lengths across the irons, but Bryson's success sure has me itching to try single length irons.

Aside from that, the thought of adopting a uniform setup for my whole iron game really appeals to me.

Have tried the OL's and they were not the cure all that many wish to embrace. As for the clubs themselves, they were not a name brand (Cobra - since they are the only OEM that offers them) and perhaps that had a bearing on my out come. The 7/8/9 were fine, the 5&6 were terrible, could not get the ball air born from that 7 iron set up. When I moved the ball up in the stance (thus negating the same for all clubs premise) they hit OK, but lacked distance. Now the biggest aspect I took away from this experiment was a lack of swing speed negates that value of having same length clubs. Only standard length clubs offer a swing speed increase due to adequate shaft length. Perhaps a new and/or improved OL set could produce the desired results, but I'm highly suspect that it will not.

I just read ddec's review and watched one length reviews at TXG and Mark Crossfield. I'm still not the golfer for this test but will try to have a more open mind. I will find a way to test OL at some point over the next 12 months, maybe sooner than later.

Have tried the OL's and they were not the cure all that many wish to embrace. As for the clubs themselves, they were not a name brand (Cobra - since they are the only OEM that offers them) and perhaps that had a bearing on my out come. The 7/8/9 were fine, the 5&6 were terrible, could not get the ball air born from that 7 iron set up. When I moved the ball up in the stance (thus negating the same for all clubs premise) they hit OK, but lacked distance. Now the biggest aspect I took away from this experiment was a lack of swing speed negates that value of having same length clubs. Only standard length clubs offer a swing speed increase due to adequate shaft length. Perhaps a new and/or improved OL set could produce the desired results, but I'm highly suspect that it will not.

Interesting, because I have not seen that at all in the KING F9s. While I did see a difference in ball flight int he 4 and 5 from the very early set. We discuss this a bit in the podcast in the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back