CONTEST The One Length Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through some of the replies, I know i have the swing speed to get the ball airborne as I rarely hit driver on my home course. Par 5 's excluded. I would rather ht a 4 iron 210 and play a 7 or 8 iron into the hole than blow w driver down inside a 100 yards and try to hit half wedges.
I believe in the OL and having the standard swing through the bag. It just makes sense, but then again, i am an analyst.

Great Podcast and cool idea for a thread. I hope @JB gets that two length set together for himself as it sounds like a good enough idea that its surprising its not already available.

I've wanted to try OLs for a few years and these newer ones seem even better. We have the weather here in NC to get the rounds and practice in for the thread but I'm not sure if I will be able to fit it all in with my schedule. This is ironic because I think OLs would help my play since I always seem to have multi week gaps between rounds.

Can't wait to follow the winner's journey.

I’d love to see you play some OL F9s. I think it’d blow your mind.

I’d love to see you play some OL F9s. I think it’d blow your mind.

I think I even mention trying them out right before I hit that shot out of the trees on 12 that I had no business hitting.

Really enjoyed the back and forth here, and I'd love to hear more of these where something like this is discussed with a pro/con in the future. Was a really fun format. The hybrid iron discussion that would be mentioned would be a good one.

I'd be all over this contest, but with snow in the forecast I'm not the right person for this. I'll cross my fingers for the MC or another chance to give one length a try. I play a pretty "boring" brand of golf and pretty much try to put the same swing on most shots, so it's something I'd love to give a real, honest try.

Interesting to see who wins this wager. I'd like to try One Length but I'm not going to be seeing a course anytime soon. I'll leave this for someone else - good luck to all those who enter.

That was fun to listen to. As a newer member to THP I enjoy hearing JB give Adam the business...drop the knowledge on him...lol

I would love to try these out. I am the typical mid handicapper: I can hit an 80 and I can also hit a 90. I kill the 7 iron but struggle with the long irons. Hitting a 4iron that is of 7iron length is very intriguing. Count me in...

So genuine question. If I were to hand you a new set of irons (not OL) or a new driver, how long does it take you before you can play them?
I hear all the time about how hard is it to change, but it doesn't seem to be the case at THP Events, so am really curious.

Listened to the PODCAST again this evening and i believe change is dependent on the person.

I see JB's understanding form the events where you hand someone a set of irons or a whole bag but i also believe that change with new clubs is somewhat dependent on the amount of hand eye coordination the individual has. As golfers we do tend to have a bit to be able to hit a ball with a stick and a head on the end of it.

Whom ever is picked needs to play these and win the bet for JB and THP. I'd like to give them a season minimum

I really enjoyed this episode guys. For a lower handicap player I think they would at the very least see similar performance to what they already play IF they can get over the mental hurdle.

For higher handicap players I can't see anything but benefits with this setup. I kind of hope it becomes a big trend with young players because it seems like it would be a big benefit.

It still surprises me how well the OL hybrid performed the few times I hit it.

I really enjoyed this episode guys. For a lower handicap player I think they would at the very least see similar performance to what they already play IF they can get over the mental hurdle.

For higher handicap players I can't see anything but benefits with this setup. I kind of hope it becomes a big trend with young players because it seems like it would be a big benefit.

It still surprises me how well the OL hybrid performed the few times I hit it.

I really really wish we’d see junior sets come in OL.

Official entry:

I am someone who is getting a little worn out with all the conventional thinking that is done in golf. I love that Bryson has come on the scene and stirred up the mythology of a variable length set is not a golfers only option. The ability to use a single length iron to play various shots from different distances has intrigued me since these first came out.

I am 51 years old and have played this game off and on since I was twelve. Notice the off part, as I did not play between the ages of 20 and 35. I have always struggled with my iron play. Driving the ball can be a struggle sometimes but I can usually get it to where it’s somewhat playable fairly quick. Same with fairway woods. Hybrids I have become very good with and have considered the possibility of going with an all hybrid set. Problem is, I am not sure I want to go that drastic yet as I still want to be able to hit irons.

I think one of my issues is I have always wanted to have one swing for every shot, with every club. I want my driver swing to be the same as my SW and right now it’s just not possible. I think the possibility of trying one length gets me one step closer to having what I feel would be a repeatable swing with multiple clubs, which I don’t feel like I have right now with variable irons. I am extremely comfortable with a seven iron, which most golfers are, and to know I can put that same swing onto a PW or any other club in the set would be huge to me mentally right now.

I live in California and typically play twice a week as it is, so 5 rounds would be done in like 3 weeks for me. If selected, I would make pledge to try these for a longer time span. I would give it at least 12 rounds or approximately 2 months for me. I would want to be fair to the set and myself to really see if this is a set that I could game from now on. I am already a user of Arccos and would love to share my experience with One Length on THP and Twitter. Plus I want to see what Adam’s bag is going to look like after JB gets ahold of it. I think some Cleveland HB Turbos may be finding there way in there. Adam does love him some Cleveland/Srixon, so it shouldn’t be too painful.

I'm a new golfer and haven't mastered my swing yet. For a new golfer this makes total sense as it means I have to have a better swing and not modify it each time, if I were an experience golfer moving to one length might be challenging

That was fun to listen to. It was great hearing you and Adam go back & forth and I love the deep dish analogy!! My entry :

I've always played variable length, I struggle with long irons, and was debating going one length for the Morgan Cup last year but chickened out at the last second due to prep time. I have a launch monitor and work on my game all off season while playing frozen rounds so I have time and resources to give them a fair shot.

So genuine question. If I were to hand you a new set of irons (not OL) or a new driver, how long does it take you before you can play them?
I hear all the time about how hard is it to change, but it doesn't seem to be the case at THP Events, so am really curious.
Well we know that it took me until I got to the next tee box to game a new driver and never looked back.

Interesting debate and a good listen. I’d be interested in giving it a try I can see both sides of it. One length makes since in many ways. I’d be will to try em out. Sign me up. Oh, and since I’m in California there is no off season.

Would really love to get into this contest since I have been pondering OL just to eliminate variables in set up but, alas, my season just ended today. Weather has turned and with no good monitor or sim setups in my area I'm out of luck. ?

I have been wanting to go for the OL since they came out. I like the idea of one swing for all clubs. My only concern is with the change in the loft how it all will affect the stopping ability of the clubs.

I have been wanting to go for the OL since they came out. I like the idea of one swing for all clubs. My only concern is with the change in the loft how it all will affect the stopping ability of the clubs.
I believe the lofts are the same in both the one length and variable length versions. I think nearly everyone who posted in the F9 thread were seeing very playable descent angles with their irons. I recall it being a highlight of the club design. I would not be concerned at all.

Fantastic listen with the podcast. I’m not only hungry, but just laughed more than I expected! I’m a fan of OL and can’t wait to see how this plays out. Someone is about to have their 2020 bag picked out for them. I foresee @golfunfiltered putting with a metal detector!!! This is going to be fun!!!

Interesting:unsure: This is definitely not a one size fits all. Individual play and skepticism may also effect the overall challenge.

Loved the comment about the pizza. Many great points about feeling more comfortable with 7i. I’m really focused on improvement (trip to Scotland is good motivation) so I’m ready to try anything. Play mizuno now but have loved cobra drivers. Only issue is NE location. Probably not many (if any) rounds left this year. Great pod today. Keep them coming

I'm a firm believer in the one length irons.
It only makes sense that if you can hit all your irons out of the same posture that you will become a better ball striker with your irons.
Let's face it better ball contact is the biggest battle in hitting better, longer and straighter shots.
I would love to try out the F9 One lengths

Have had no issues holding greens at all this year, and have hit slightly more of them this year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back