CONTEST The One Length Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally want to try OL due to being inconsistent with my long irons. I understand the debate about the weighting throwing off the swing but i feel theyd change my game.

There's no chance someone makes the switch to One Length.

One setup, one ball position, one swing, one length, seems like it would work. Get the yardages dialed in by the club number and make a swing. One length could help anyone, including a higher handicap, sign me up, I'm all in.

Morning bummmmpppp

My 2 sentence entry is below:

I play a split combo, Srixon 765 4-7, 965 8-PW merging into a 50 degree Cobra Tour Trusty Rusty then 54/58 RTX 4 wedges and I love the bladed irons from 8-PW and almost wish I had the whole set in blades. I believe I would be a great fit for this as the Australian Winter (if you can call it that) has just finished and we are heading into beautiful spring/summer weather and I will be out every week grinding to get better no matter the equipment!

I believe in this design for the simple reason its only one swing. I have access to a golf simulator daily and would love to document this challenge.

For anyone in the south who would like to test them out during the winter months then ship them up to me once it gets warmer I wouldnt complain! Jealous that many of you dont have an off season, and wish getting on a sim wasnt so pricey here. Cant wait to follow whomever gets these, it will be fun!

This would be a fun experiment and great log - I tried the F7s when they were first released and had some success, but sold them fairly quickly. I'd love to give the F9s a whirl and see if they fixed the gapping issues!

Today on the Golf Unfiltered podcast, Adam and I debate the pros and cons of using One Length. Adam is firmly against playing them, JB is not. We discuss the history of the One Length iron, the technology behind it and then decide kind of spur of the moment, that we are going to have a wager.

To have a wager, we are looking for a THPer that will document a One Length trial. We are going to give a set of KING F9 One Length irons away to a listener of the show this week. Entering is easy.

Listen here.

How to Enter
1. Listen to the Golf Unfiltered Podcast at link above.
2. Come back to this thread and give your thoughts on our opinions and back and forth on One Length. As well as the instructions that I give towards the end of the show.

The Rules
1. You are agreeing to test the set for 5 full rounds with some range sessions as well.
2. You are agreeing to post in a new thread (we will create it) your journey of how they are working for you every week.
3. We only have a RH set currently, so RH only please.

View attachment 8914501

I think the podcast was awesome, I have always been intrigued by the OL irons and have wanted to try them out. To me it makes sense using the same length and perfection one swing that gives different results. I’m a high handicap golfer so I think they could improve my consistency on the golf course. I’d love to be the candidate to try these one length irons.

Rambled through the pod cast and found that distance or lack there of (4&5) correspond with my previous remarks. So even the only OEM's offering did not completely deliver and now their new bake and shake will get the job done?....................If OL clubs were/are the real deal, then why haven't other OEM's joined the transition and even more specific, why haven't any other players, from any viable tour, made the switch? One would think, that playing for the amount of money they play for, they would certainly want to have a desired edge in their game that the OL's supposedly offer.

Listened to this, this morning. @golfunfiltered had some interesting takes, but I just can't agree with his thought that a better player will get more out of OL irons. I'm pretty firmly in the camp that going OL from the outset would be a huge benefit for a lot of beginner players. I think it would simplify the game a lot, especially for kids.

My son started out with OL and didn't like them. He's now gaming normal irons.

I would absolutely love to give these a try. I remember when the EQL irons came out I wanted to get a set then, but my brother talked me out of it. Probably a good idea since I still struggled with the 6 iron. I have actually almost picked up a used set of the Cobra F9's a couple of times, but just can't bring myself to invest in a set of clubs I have never even swung before especially ones like these.

I like the idea of the challenge, but I couldn't do it. I had a go recently for 5 rounds in 5 days with some F8OL, and was OK in the 6-9i slots, but lower than that, I really struggled.
There is at least one company making dual length irons now.

For whatever reason, One Lengths do not have any real presence in my area. I know exactly one player who tried the Cobra F7’s for half a season, then went back to his old Mizuno blades. My local Golf Galaxy and Dicks no longer carry them either, presumably due to lack of interest.

That said, the idea still intrigues me, especially since it sounds like Cobra has worked out the kinks with ball flight, gapping, etc. I have unlimited access to a course, as well as an HD Golf simulator. The simulator, in particular will be useful for comparison with the Cobra Connect data, as HD’s data does compare realatively well with Trackman.

So I’m willing to set aside my beloved Mizunos for a time, to settle the wager once and for all.

Looking at this strictly in the abstract, OL looks like it should work. However, is it really possible to change a life-long way of hitting a golf ball in such a short period? I do NOT hit my long irons well at all. As a matter of fact, I just took OUT my 4i because I just can't hit it well enough, and I may take out my 5i. I know lessons is the real answer, but I am fascinated by the concept of OL. I would be MOST willing to try and see if OL may be the answer for me. I would also think that the one plane concept might also apply with this experiment! :twist:

Since I won't be able to do the testing in Minnesota this year staying out of this one and look forward to the reviews. I was able to play @BigDill set of one length this Friday at our event and came away impressed. The only club I didn't get along with was the Pw but sure if I had a little more time would be just fine

Looking at this strictly in the abstract, OL looks like it should work. However, is it really possible to change a life-long way of hitting a golf ball in such a short period? I do NOT hit my long irons well at all. As a matter of fact, I just took OUT my 4i because I just can't hit it well enough, and I may take out my 5i. I know lessons is the real answer, but I am fascinated by the concept of OL. I would be MOST willing to try and see if OL may be the answer for me. I would also think that the one plane concept might also apply with this experiment! :twist:
One quick note-- with OL you don't change how you hit the ball. It's actually the opposite, you take what you got and let it become as consistent and repeatable as possible. It's the same swing you used for your 7i, just with much more practice.

I am all in for this challenge. I played the F7 OL just shy of three months, then traded them back in. I liked the 7-SW irons. Not so much with the 6, but decent. The 4 and 5 had a consistent push fade bias. I am usually a more straight to a slight draw flight path. I heard after a couple of years that the F9 OL had adjusted hosel, weighting, and maybe other things to make the lower irons (4,5,6) much more responsive and consistent with the higher clubs. I had an opportunity to hit the F9 OL at a demo day. Although I did not get much time with them, my initial impression was that they were big improvement over the F7 OL. I would love to play these and compare not only with my current set but with my F7 experience.

Although I'm not entering this challenge, I am still giving serious thought to purchasing a set of F8 OL irons and trying them out for a full golf season. I've tried OL irons on occasion, and the idea of one swing for the entire iron set is intriguing. I do like JB's idea about splitting the set into OL irons/normal wedges, which means I could work my CBX 54/58 into play.

Entry: I am really interested in attempting the One Length challenge. It really makes sense from a mechanical perspective to be able repeat the same thing over and over again. The distance gapping is something you have to do with all new clubs anyways so why not embrace an opportunity to change your game.

PS. I am in Minnesota so the rounds would have to be at a later date but would update weekly with the indoor practice. If that throws me out of the contest, totally ok with that.

Today on the Golf Unfiltered podcast, Adam and I debate the pros and cons of using One Length. Adam is firmly against playing them, JB is not. We discuss the history of the One Length iron, the technology behind it and then decide kind of spur of the moment, that we are going to have a wager.

To have a wager, we are looking for a THPer that will document a One Length trial. We are going to give a set of KING F9 One Length irons away to a listener of the show this week. Entering is easy.

Listen here.

How to Enter
1. Listen to the Golf Unfiltered Podcast at link above.
2. Come back to this thread and give your thoughts on our opinions and back and forth on One Length. As well as the instructions that I give towards the end of the show.

The Rules
1. You are agreeing to test the set for 5 full rounds with some range sessions as well.
2. You are agreeing to post in a new thread (we will create it) your journey of how they are working for you every week.
3. We only have a RH set currently, so RH only please.

View attachment 8914501
I am confused why the lie angles would be different also. One length, one swing = one specific lie angle. I also wonder why more pros are not utilizing one length. My experience with them 2yrs ago was "okay" but the look of the irons did not thrill me at all. Nothing to write home about or be "proud" to share pictures with family and friends. haha

I believe I would be a great candidate for this challenge due to the fact that I have spent the whole 2019 with standard length irons and have not improved one bit and I am looking to make a change to better my game. I know that in the past the one-length irons that came out were not quite ready and had some trial and error and growth pains but now it looks to be a credible option. Please consider me.

I am confused why the lie angles would be different also. One length, one swing = one specific lie angle.

Check through this thread as I do explain a little bit about the lie angles.

I tried the F7 when they first came out. Distances with 6 & 5 irons hard to judge as trajectory lower so ball might hit green & run through. When F8 came with a 5 hybrid I went to pgass to see about getting hybrid only. Fitter said there were enough design changes that I might want to upgrade. I ordered set. Turned out 5 iron had better distances than 5H. I ended up selling 5H, got 5 iron but after 2 seasons using OL Im

I tried the F7 when they first came out. Distances with 6 & 5 irons hard to judge as trajectory lower so ball might hit green & run through. When F8 came with a 5 hybrid I went to pgass to see about getting hybrid only. Fitter said there were enough design changes that I might want to upgrade. I ordered set. Turned out 5 iron had better distances than 5H. I ended up selling 5H, got 5 iron but after 2 seasons using OL Im back to conventional set.

It pleases me to see more sensible (variable length) posters have entered the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back