CONTEST The One Length Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Today on the Golf Unfiltered podcast, Adam and I debate the pros and cons of using One Length. Adam is firmly against playing them, JB is not. We discuss the history of the One Length iron, the technology behind it and then decide kind of spur of the moment, that we are going to have a wager.

To have a wager, we are looking for a THPer that will document a One Length trial. We are going to give a set of KING F9 One Length irons away to a listener of the show this week. Entering is easy.

Listen here.

How to Enter
1. Listen to the Golf Unfiltered Podcast at link above.
2. Come back to this thread and give your thoughts on our opinions and back and forth on One Length. As well as the instructions that I give towards the end of the show.

The Rules
1. You are agreeing to test the set for 5 full rounds with some range sessions as well.
2. You are agreeing to post in a new thread (we will create it) your journey of how they are working for you every week.
3. We only have a RH set currently, so RH only please.

123.jpg

Last edited:
This should be interesting! Listening now

Having just went through this over the course of this year I look forward to following along.

Awesome, fresh podcast for the plane ride home!

I played some of @BigDill F9 One Length irons on Friday during our round at Abacoa. Right from the get go on the range they were very easy to work with. The 5i and 6i worked great. Gap wedge.... I personally would prefer standard wedge length but that is just me, and a first impression.

Anyone intrigued by these should definitely enter!

I dig the contest! (@golfunfiltered is soooo going to be playing hybrids)

I'm playing variable length irons now, and they're pretty great actually. I played OL for a while a couple years back, I'd love to compare a set of the new OL irons to a set of variable length that I know work for me just to see if I can actually score better with OL.

A lot of talk about this one this past weekend. I’ve been intrigued by One Length since I first hit them before they we released at a THP event. I personally think I could play the One Length Irons, as I sometimes tend to have issues with setting up to the ball consistently. Having the same length shaft through the set of irons would change that.
Great contest and will be listening to the podcast during my flight this week!

Good luck to everyone. This sounds like a lot of fun.

I've considered OL for a a few years now, but have been reluctant to pull the trigger. I'll listen here in a bit, looking forward to the wager!

This is great. If you are a higher handicap or do not play your 4 and 5 irons very much because you have had trouble in the past hitting them well, you need to be all over this. I played these clubs for about 6 months and really loved them. I moved away for other reasons than the clubs themselves, but still think about moving back to them. Looking forward to following along with this.

This is great. If you are a higher handicap or do not play your 4 and 5 irons very much because you have had trouble in the past hitting them well, you need to be all over this. I played these clubs for about 6 months and really loved them. I moved away for other reasons than the clubs themselves, but still think about moving back to them. Looking forward to following along with this.

You should definitely listen to the podcast, we talk about the long iron thing a lot.

You should definitely listen to the podcast, we talk about the long iron thing a lot.
Plan on doing it on my way into the office this morning. Looking forward to it.

Listened to this, this morning. @golfunfiltered had some interesting takes, but I just can't agree with his thought that a better player will get more out of OL irons. I'm pretty firmly in the camp that going OL from the outset would be a huge benefit for a lot of beginner players. I think it would simplify the game a lot, especially for kids.

This is a great wager!! With how much golf Adam and JB play, the other one picking clubs for the year is going to be a fun ordeal.

Being deployed, I don't have my clubs down here in Cuba. However, that also means that the weather is hot all winter, so the season doesn't end. My family isn't down here, so I can play every Saturday and Sunday.

I'm a high handicap, so I can prove or disprove Adam's theory that you have to be good to benefit fully from the one length.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I will definitely be taking time later to listen and enter.

Have thought heavily about moving to one length, but am afraid to try.

You can now play the podcast right in the first post of this thread.

Fun listen - I am intrigued by JBs idea of a 2 length set. Being in the northeast, the testing of OL wouldn’t be accomplished until the spring, so there are some better candidates out there. Good luck to those that throw their name in the hat.

Listening now...

I too had a chance to hit @BigDill’s one length clubs this weekend. I liked them more than I expected. Once you get past what you see and sense at address, the irons perform. The 5 seemed way off to my eye but it absolutely launched the ball much more than I expected. The 9 was more comfortable to me, as my 9 is an inch over normal length.

I’m looking forward to listening.

I like the idea of the challenge, but I couldn't do it. I had a go recently for 5 rounds in 5 days with some F8OL, and was OK in the 6-9i slots, but lower than that, I really struggled.

I dig the contest! (@golfunfiltered is soooo going to be playing hybrids)

I'm playing variable length irons now, and they're pretty great actually. I played OL for a while a couple years back, I'd love to compare a set of the new OL irons to a set of variable length that I know work for me just to see if I can actually score better with OL.

I don’t think RH irons would help you very much

Will listen later today. Very much on Adam’s side on this one so this will be a fun comment when I’ve heard the cast.

I guess the good news is, I know if these can be bent super upright, I’d be good to go getting them spec’ed out haha

Great challenge for someone. I will be listening to this on the way to play this morning. Good luck to everyone who enters!

Really good episode. Will be very interesting to follow along with the winner's experience.

I do like JB's two length idea. With wedges are so important to my game / scoring, that is the biggest reason why I have never really even given OL a second thought.

Last edited:
If you don’t think that Bryson moves the equipment needle, work a shift at DICK’S after he’s at the top of the leaderboard at a tournament. There will be at least 3 people walk in with their long irons and want them cut down to the 7 iron length, and you have to explain that it doesn’t really work like that...

I can't wait to see who ends up taking the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back