CONTEST The One Length Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last day to enter and then @golfunfiltered and I will select a winner later this week.

Last day to enter and then @golfunfiltered and I will select a winner later this week.

I love strange bets and this one might be my favorite. Going to start new thread on bets.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
I've been interested in trying OL for a few months now. My iron striking has fallen apart, and I've been leaning on half- or 3/4- swing hybrids to cover anything between 140-175yds. I'm an engineer so I'm definitely intrigued by the thought process behind OL and I would love to experiment by eliminating variables in my swing. I hadn't considered the mental side of hitting a 7i-length club 200 yards, but that would be fun to observe and analyze, too.

I listened to the podcast and really enjoyed it. Lots of good justifications on why it would make sense from JB that were hard to refute. I get how with one round you might have a hard time adjusting but over multiple rounds with some practice in between you could make it work. The science makes some sense to me but I struggle a bit to understand how you can get the distance in a 4 iron OL vs a VL 4i. Maybe lofts and clubhead design is totally different but some of the distance of a 4i comes from the added clubhead speed of the longer shaft.

I would love to do this and would commit real time (10+ rounds plus range sessions) to it but it was 18* here this morning so I wouldn’t really be able to do it until April or May.

Hahaha... pick me! Pick me! :laughing:

Finally listened to the podcast today, @JB u r very convincing in your arguments & I like your idea of the 2 length system. To me that makes more sense. I still don’t really have the desire to test OL irons though. My only complaint about the podcast was that it was too short!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being 6'6'' has brought its challenges for me. I've always debated the one length option but have never broke down and gave it a try. I wasn't sure if they could technically make them 1 inch long and 2 degrees upright and work for me. As a teacher trying such an experiment would probably cost way more than my budget can handle. The idea of possibly being picked to try this experiment intrigues me. The only issue is.....I live in Ohio and weather can be an problem. Unless, you let indoor golf on a trackman or GC2 count.

If I'm picked I would gladly give it an honest go.

You need to record that conversation to decide the winner. Lots of negotiating by both sides. Sounds like another podcast that will be a “must listen.”

Today on the Golf Unfiltered podcast, Adam and I debate the pros and cons of using One Length. Adam is firmly against playing them, JB is not. We discuss the history of the One Length iron, the technology behind it and then decide kind of spur of the moment, that we are going to have a wager.

To have a wager, we are looking for a THPer that will document a One Length trial. We are going to give a set of KING F9 One Length irons away to a listener of the show this week. Entering is easy.

Listen here.

How to Enter
1. Listen to the Golf Unfiltered Podcast at link above.
2. Come back to this thread and give your thoughts on our opinions and back and forth on One Length. As well as the instructions that I give towards the end of the show.

The Rules
1. You are agreeing to test the set for 5 full rounds with some range sessions as well.
2. You are agreeing to post in a new thread (we will create it) your journey of how they are working for you every week.
3. We only have a RH set currently, so RH only please.

View attachment 8914501
Sounds like an interesting challenge, I’m currently playing standard length clubs but being an newer golfer I would be interested in looking at the OLs. I’m in Texas so we play year round and I could actually get five rounds in over the winter and would be happy to track the progress. Fair warning I’m playing off of a 17, which is down nine this year from where I started.

You need to record that conversation to decide the winner. Lots of negotiating by both sides. Sounds like another podcast that will be a “must listen.”
I second this. This feels like a three podcast competition.

Cobra is selling F9 sets for 599USD now, including OL if anyone who is not the lucky winner wants to give it a go.
That's actually a pretty good price for a really nice GI iron. VL or OL regardless

To accept the challenge, one has to be open-minded and "ready, willing and able". Any preconceived notion, aka, haters/lovers, will taint the result and bias at best. If one is stubborn about the variable length and a hard-headed person who is stubborn when someone (who has a lower handicap) gives a tip of golf and refuse to even think it through or at the least give it a try in some way, then he should automatically DQed. And we should look at handicap 18 or maybe 16 or below. Because majority of these people are somehow "serious" about golf, and at last, if the qualifier does not include a person that goes to the golf range at least one day a week, then, he is not serious enough, nor will this experiment collect enough data to show all of us to conclude rationally about the results.. I accept such challenge!!! It will be awesome...

Was there a winner selected?

Love this challenge. Maybe one length is more like pineapple on pizza? Id love to try, my irons can be a bit fickle with duffs, tops, and being online. Bring on the one length, lets go, lets go.

I have played a couple of rounds with my F9 OLs...I love them. the caveat is that i'm a new golfer...but even being new, there was an adjustment from my limited experience with traditional irons...and the transition to the lob wedge just kicks me in the ass every time I swing it :/

I have been having this debate with my brother for a long time. He thinks single length is the answer, but I have been a scratch or close to scratch golfer for 20 years. I love choking up on a gap wedge from 110 and hitting a low spinner. I can’t imagine doing that with a 7 iron length club. But, as a lover of golf and equipment I am up to the challenge. I have a net and a Skytrack so I can do comparisons and post all my findings in this forum and on my instagram. I live in Vermont so the Skytrak is vital. I am going down to Florida in a few weeks so I will have plenty of time to get ready for the trip and groove a swing with them then play 6 consecutive rounds on a course I go to every year and regularly have a chance to break par. My brother who is also going and is a 4 handicap who hates long irons would also do this challenge with me. He is a believer that it will work and I am a skeptic. I figure that gives you a 2 for 1 on this contest. A fun part of this could be the two of us competing with them and the low score keeps the irons at the end of the trip to play next season.

BTW, love the podcast, if I hadn’t found that I would have never found this website. Keep up the good work.

I picked up a One Length PW today and OmG is that long. It would take some getting used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back