The One Thing You'd Like to Change About Golf Where You Live

leftshot

Remember to smile
Reaction score
The title says it all.

Re-open a few courses - we had 7 within 10 miles, now down to 2.

A good start would be actually being playable for more than 8 months a year. Greens and fairways go to crap real fast by November.

A few months of actual golf, 5 just isn’t enough

Right now I'd just like to be able to get a tee time. Courses are so busy that the days of walking on, or getting a tee time within just a day or two are a thing of the past. Lucky to get on some courses at all, even a week or more out. Another problem that is the result of this is pace of play, with the courses fully booked, or overbooked in some cases, a round of golf can take a ridiculously long time.

More public courses. The ratio is completely out of whack.

The weather and conditions. Plus, all the courses are constantly stacked with people, especially at the moment so is a real lottery as to whether you get a time at all, let alone when you actually want to play.

I would change that the minute duck season is over, the weather automatically turns to San Diego type weather. :cool:

In all reality, I just wish the weather was more consistent so the course conditions could be consistent all year.

A longer season would be nice. And we have wonderful courses that are exclusive private clubs far beyond the reach of working class golfers. I would love to see improved access.

Where I live we have a tremendous number of golf holes, but places where kids of moderate income families have access is extremely limited. The citizens of the county have been for decades requesting that the county purchase/develope a municipal/public golf course. The local county government has purchased a golf course which will be the only "muni" in the county. Then in their eminent whisdom they decided to go from 18 holes to 12!! The "excess" land would be used for "affordable housing" and a VA nursing home!!! Neither of which is a function of local government! All because they say that "golf is a richman's sport".My wish would be for more public access at a reasonable price, particularly for young people!!

Last edited:
I think this might be happening most places but never used to. I don't like that many of our local courses rarely pair up singles or twosomes on days when it's already crowded and slow. I still play as a single from time to time, used to always have to wait to fill in to make 4 some or at minimum 3 some. No longer the case and not an issue if the course isn't crowded. I still prefer to be paired if at all possible unless zipping around on an empty course.

My first would obviously be the weather. I have a ton of snow on the ground.

Taking that out of the equation it would be public golf access with good practice facilities. Unfortunately land is really expensive where I live so that likely won't change.

The only thing I don't like where I live is that there are a ton of flat spots on courses that just don't drain very good. Given we get quite a bit of rain around here it can stay soggy for a long time during certain parts of the year.

Rangers, and ones that will actually say something about slow play.

better practice facilities. i'd pay a decent amount to have access to a quality practice facility within reasonable driving distance.

i would love for less people wanting to play.

Embrace sim golf! I think it would be complementary to their current offerings. That and better equip courses for harsh weather, whether it be super dry or super wet.

Really need one more functional course. Had 5 or 6 growing up and it dropped down to 2 after a couple closed and a couple got run into the ground.
One is coming back to life which will help a lot.

The cost..........it feels like as dues/fees have gone up over the years the conditions of the courses have not improved, but declined along with it. I'm not someone to shy away from paying a high green fee for certain courses that are "worth" it, but everyday courses green fees are too high.

better practice facilities. i'd pay a decent amount to have access to a quality practice facility within reasonable driving distance.

I am curious what you would pay. I have a practice only facility literally across the street from me. It is mostly mats only but they have a very nice short game area with two practice greens, about 30 yards to hit wedges into it and a number of bunkers. It is $225 a month including unlimited range balls with a 3 month minimum. I haven't joined it as I am not around a ton during the summer. Is that a decent amount to you? A lot of people think it is a bit pricey.

I think this might be happening most places but never used to. I don't like that many of our local courses rarely pair up singles or twosomes on days when it's already crowded and slow. I still play as a single from time to time, used to always have to wait to fill in to make 4 some or at minimum 3 some. No longer the case and not an issue if the course isn't crowded. I still prefer to be paired if at all possible unless zipping around on an empty course.
Yeah... I'd say a good rule would be nothing less than 3-somes before 3pm on the weekends. Golf is a social sport, not that you have to be discussing politics or philosophy, but it happens too often that everyone is waiting on 2-somes stacked up on the 1st tee wondering why they don't pair up...

A couple of signs, one in the clubhouse, one on #1 & #10 saying "Singles & pairs are expected to join up" would do the trick... unfortunately people just don't want to if its not suggested let alone recommended.

Last edited:
The weather would be my first choice of change. These cold, north winds that show up from time to times are not welcome. I wish Oregon, Idaho, and Utah would keep these cold winds on their side of the line.

As for actual golf, I see nothing that needs to be changed in our area.

There's a course for everyone's talent, and pocket book level. We have well over 300 days a year of sunshine, and decent playing conditions.

Golf is golf where ever you play. The most fun of playing golf is dealing with the different conditions a golfer encounters. .

Really need one more functional course. Had 5 or 6 growing up and it dropped down to 2 after a couple closed and a couple got run into the ground.
One is coming back to life which will help a lot.
I've talked about this before, while I'm happy to have three courses within a reasonable distance from home, the next three closest courses all closed over the last 10-12 years. All for different reasons, poor management, poor location, & a poor course. But all three will never be developed again so the three closest courses have all been busier because of it.

Better practice areas at the public courses. I am very lucky to live next to one of the better ones but they are few and far between!

Back