Arrow needs eye surgery. He has a tumor on his eyelid that’s irritating his eye so it has to be surgically removed. I’m really sad for him about this, and worried since he has some liver and kidney issues so anesthesia is not ideal, but the vet assured me it’s a super quick procedure and they will be extremely cautious with him and monitor him very closely.

Surgery is scheduled for a few weeks from now and in the meantime he needs ointment in both eyes twice a day. Which he does not like at all. Poor baby!!
Poor guy! Eye ointment is definitely not fun to administer either. Hope it all goes well!

Poor guy! Eye ointment is definitely not fun to administer either. Hope it all goes well!

No, thank goodness they did it for me today since JB is out of town because that’s definitely a two person job.

Back to our trainer's place tomorrow, and we will probably be deciding on a new dog. We went last week and met this guy, a 1 1/2 year old German Shepherd/Husky mix, and he's still available. The original owner, who had abandoned this guy and another dog, had made some noise about wanting him back, but never showed up, so he has officially been turned over to our trainer's rescue.

index.php

This other guy is a 1 year old male German Shepherd, turned in to another County Shelter, and has since been released to our trainer's rescue. The one issue with this guy is that he has tested heart worm positive. He will be staying at the trainer's facility throughout the heart worm treatment, so if we decide to take him we won't be able to bring him home for a while. Of course both dogs will be getting a couple of weeks of obedience training before going to a forever home, so neither one could be coming home with us right away.

Franz_c.jpg

The trainer says I'll probably want the second guy, in fact she is already using the name we have chosen for our next dog with him. She might be right, as I am leaning that way from what we know about them both, but we will be seeing them tomorrow, and will make the decision then. I'm pretty confident thee is no wrong choice here.

Happy it is working out for you whatever choice you make. Lol that would be tough looking at both of them and being there but then you could always ............:

Happy it is working out for you whatever choice you make. Lol that would be tough looking at both of them and being there but then you could always ............:
My wife jokingly told the trainer that we might just have to take them both. That's not going to happen though, as we have really liked having only one dog the last few years, after many years of always having two or three.

Arrow needs eye surgery. He has a tumor on his eyelid that’s irritating his eye so it has to be surgically removed. I’m really sad for him about this, and worried since he has some liver and kidney issues so anesthesia is not ideal, but the vet assured me it’s a super quick procedure and they will be extremely cautious with him and monitor him very closely.

Surgery is scheduled for a few weeks from now and in the meantime he needs ointment in both eyes twice a day. Which he does not like at all. Poor baby!!

I am so sorry, as you may remember my baby had many eye issues and eventually had to have her eye removed and lost her eyesight entirely. The drops are not fun, but well worth it. Hoping for a good recovery for Arrow. If however, he loses sight, rest assured he will be able to have a great life. Most dogs can become accustomed to losing their sight. It more of an adjustment for their owners seeing their baby walking into things and having a bit of issue that is not something we have seen before.

I am so sorry, as you may remember my baby had many eye issues and eventually had to have her eye removed and lost her eyesight entirely. The drops are not fun, but well worth it. Hoping for a good recovery for Arrow. If however, he loses sight, rest assured he will be able to have a great life. Most dogs can become accustomed to losing their sight. It more of an adjustment for their owners seeing their baby walking into things and having a bit of issue that is not something we have seen before.

Thank you, and I do remember, and that broke my heart to read.

He should be ok. As the vet explained, they remove a pizza slice from his eyelid that includes the tumor and then stitch it back together. Her own dog just recently had this same surgery. She said it's incredibly quick, and he should only be under for a very short period of time. Then it's 2 weeks in a cone (she said she only made it 10 days ha) and then the stitches are removed and hopefully nothing like this happens again. She did warn, it's a genetic thing, and it could happen again, there is no way to prevent it, but hopefully it doesn't.

She said if it wasn't irritating his eye they wouldn't even remove it, but it definitely it bothering him, so it has to go so it doesn't cause any eye issues.

We have a new family member on the way! We went and saw the two rescue dogs I mentioned earlier, and selected this young (16 months old) male German Shepherd. He is recovering from being neutered, will be starting heart worm treatments soon, and needs to get some basic obedience training, so we won't be bringing him home just yet. Our trainer, Margaret, was right though, she was so confident that we would pick him that she had already started using the name we are giving him. Meet Kona.

Kona.jpg

We have a new family member on the way! We went and saw the two rescue dogs I mentioned earlier, and selected this young (16 months old) male German Shepherd. He is recovering from being neutered, will be starting heart worm treatments soon, and needs to get some basic obedience training, so we won't be bringing him home just yet. Our trainer, Margaret, was right though, she was so confident that we would pick him that she had already started using the name we are giving him. Meet Kona.
Kona is beautiful. Happy for you guys and Kona.

That’s great news! Congrats on the new addition.

Reactions: KEV
Yep, we’re those people.
F0910C90-CFB6-4760-86BD-18A07326EB29.jpeg

We just go back from the lake and walking the dogs. Pulled 14 ticks off the little dog and only 4 off the big dog. They get flea and tick medicine so not super worried if they get attached as then it will kill the ticks but its a pain to pull them.
They are really terrible this year.

We just go back from the lake and walking the dogs. Pulled 14 ticks off the little dog and only 4 off the big dog. They get flea and tick medicine so not super worried if they get attached as then it will kill the ticks but its a pain to pull them.
They are really terrible this year.
I pulled one off myself after our walk today. They’ve been pretty bad around here the last couple years. Checked the dogs and they didn’t have any 🤷‍♂️

I pulled one off myself after our walk today. They’ve been pretty bad around here the last couple years. Checked the dogs and they didn’t have any 🤷‍♂️
Wife decide she would give him a bath before she cleaned herself up, got 3 more off of him. :cry:

We will be picking up Kona from the trainer/rescue Sunday! This week is busy getting ready for him, a few things we've never had for a dog before, since he tested heartworm positive, and will be going through the treatment for that. There will be a 6 - 8 week period during and after the treatment where we have to keep him as inactive, calm and quiet as possible, so I'm putting up a kennel where we can keep him when we're not home (playing golf, etc). We purchased a nice 5' x 10' kennel, but I need to do some leveling and other ground work before I can assemble it. When we are home we'll need to keep him in the same room with us, and he will have to sleep in a crate, which we haven't had to do since the last time we had a puppy many many years ago.

Anyway, can't wait to get him home, it's just not right around here without a dog in the house.

We will be picking up Kona from the trainer/rescue Sunday! This week is busy getting ready for him, a few things we've never had for a dog before, since he tested heartworm positive, and will be going through the treatment for that. There will be a 6 - 8 week period during and after the treatment where we have to keep him as inactive, calm and quiet as possible, so I'm putting up a kennel where we can keep him when we're not home (playing golf, etc). We purchased a nice 5' x 10' kennel, but I need to do some leveling and other ground work before I can assemble it. When we are home we'll need to keep him in the same room with us, and he will have to sleep in a crate, which we haven't had to do since the last time we had a puppy many many years ago.

Anyway, can't wait to get him home, it's just not right around here without a dog in the house.
Too exciting! My parents had a pup that went through heartworm treatment when they got her about 7 years ago and she’s a happy dopey little girl these days. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the big guy once he gets settled in.

Back