I’m looking for some advice/thoughts from the THP community.

I recently fostered a HUGE Mastif for just shy of 2 months. Her pervious owner passed away suddenly and the family had no other prospects for care, so I agreed to take her on. And to me, she’s huge at easily 140 lbs when compared to our Alaskan Husky and Belgian Malinois.

It wasn’t any real issue for me to take care of her - it’s clear that she’s had a good life so far with decent informal training. She’s getting up there in age though at a reported 12 years old and has no vet records to speak of. We even called around to every veterinarian in town.

Has anyone ever taken in a dog long-term at this age? How did it go with you, and if you have other pups, how did they manage? Was the new dog able to adapt to changes easily? For instance with diet and overall home life?

And while I know each dog is unique, I’ve never adopted such an aged canine and am really wondering how she would do… so I’d very much welcome any thoughts.

In case you’re curious, here’s a photo of her lounging on the couch with her stuffed toy rabbit:

197F2820-4B85-41E5-B5F4-353C42752A0A.jpeg

I recently fostered a HUGE Mastif for just shy of 2 months. Her pervious owner passed away suddenly and the family had no other prospects for care, so I agreed to take her on. And to me, she’s huge at easily 140 lbs when compared to our Alaskan Husky and Belgian Malinois.

It wasn’t any real issue for me to take care of her - it’s clear that she’s had a good life so far with decent informal training. She’s getting up there in age though at a reported 12 years old and has no vet records to speak of. We even called around to every veterinarian in town.

Has anyone ever taken in a dog long-term at this age? How did it go with you, and if you have other pups, how did they manage? Was the new dog able to adapt to changes easily? For instance with diet and overall home life?

And while I know each dog is unique, I’ve never adopted such an aged canine and am really wondering how she would do… so I’d very much welcome any thoughts.

In case you’re curious, here’s a photo of her lounging on the couch with her stuffed toy rabbit:

View attachment 9049113
While we have never adopted one that old, it seems like she has made herself at home and is quite happy. If she gets along with your other dogs then I say keep her and give a few really good years.

Hoss looks and sounds like a typical Staffie and you are very lucky. They are famous for their loving nature, sadly , like pit bulls they can attract the wrong sort of owner.

No such thing as a bad dog, only bad owners....
Totally agree with this. We've all seen owners who draw the worst out of their dog or don't train them to behave. Most dogs are pleasers and want to do the right thing...but they have to be taught how to do it and rewarded for doing it so it becomes the norm.

I think I knew that Staffies were loving and loyal...but the level of physicality in terms of play and cuddling has been hilarious. He loves to play tug of war and keep away...all the while growling and wagging his tail...so hilarious. He's also extremely persistent and stubborn when he wants to be. He kept finding a hole in the fence between our house and the neighbors and we kept covering the hole with different solutions and he kept finding a new way to get over there until we actually had the fence fixed. He is a character..that's for sure. He is also the most loyal friend you could ever ask for.

This is why we keep the door shut while the dogs are in their crates.
8E7C77FE-EB0E-4D3D-A232-50D5F85E8B84.jpeg

This is Hoss. He was a rescue and thats the name he came with. He was displaced during one of the hurricanes in SC about 6 yrs ago. We've had him for a 4.5 years. We were looking for a "family" dog and we thought that meant a typical lab/retriever of some kind. When we went to one of the events where the dogs were all outside, he looked scrawny with his ribs poking out and his head looked too big...lol. And yet, he was probably the most outgoing of any dog we met and he kept coming up to say hi and greet us (my wife, myself and especially the boys). He wasn't spooked by all the dogs and people around him and had just such an incredible temperament. I took him for a walk and quickly realized how powerful he is..even though he's more of a mid-sized dog...56 pounds. We really weren't in the market for pit-mix and I was a bit intimidated by him at first. The Director of the rescue agency said she had zero hesitation about giving him to family but that he just needed LOTS of exercise (she wasn't kidding). He literally picked us and made it impossible to leave there without him. When I got him to the SUV, we put him in the back while I built the crate that we had just bought. I finished building it and tried to pull him out so I could put the crate in. He splayed all 4 legs and refused to get out because he must've thought that he was being returned to the shelter...it was sweet and sad at the same time. Finally we got him in the crate and he settled in for the ride home. He finally had a family and a home.

Fast forward over 4 years: this dog has been the nicest, most gentle, most playful and amazing dog we've had. He is high energy and loves to play and run but he is a massive cuddler and wants to sleep on or next to you once he's done playing. He loves the kids and they wrestle and play keep away with him all the time and I think he likes my wife best since she works from home. He doesn't let other dogs get him worked up, but can hold his own if one gets too aggressive. I was a bit skeptical about the Staffordshire breed but this guy has opened my eyes. What an athlete he is, the speed and agility are breathtaking. Life really hasn't been the same since he arrived...we feel lucky to have found him.

What a great story and a beautiful pup!

So we went to the integrated vet this AM and all three of us came home. She’s more alert and eating after an IV, B12 shot and acupuncture. Blood work showed low red cells. Could explain her weakness or it could all be old age. At any rate we’re in wait and see mode, and we know what we’re facing.

Many thanks for the kind words and thoughts.

Our 14.5 year-old yellow Lab Delilah (She followed a Samson, but I usually call her Gangsta D because she's never fully dropped the habits she learned during her first two years on the mean streets of Tennessee) is still hanging in there. We are awaiting the results of more tests, but she is getting a little better every day. She is active for more of the day, but still sleeps maybe 18 hours. She does not appear to be in pain, but that is hard to know. She has actually gotten herself up and walked out to do her thing and then walked around our yard for a little bit. So we don't have an obvious sign either way, but she's in better shape than she was Monday. I'm making sure my wife recognizes that we are now in Bonus Day #4, on top of 2-3 extra years that many Labs owner don't get.

View attachment 9049113

You’re a good guy for doing this!! What’s her name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is Hoss. He was a rescue and thats the name he came with. He was displaced during one of the hurricanes in SC about 6 yrs ago. We've had him for a 4.5 years. We were looking for a "family" dog and we thought that meant a typical lab/retriever of some kind. When we went to one of the events where the dogs were all outside, he looked scrawny with his ribs poking out and his head looked too big...lol. And yet, he was probably the most outgoing of any dog we met and he kept coming up to say hi and greet us (my wife, myself and especially the boys). He wasn't spooked by all the dogs and people around him and had just such an incredible temperament. I took him for a walk and quickly realized how powerful he is..even though he's more of a mid-sized dog...56 pounds. We really weren't in the market for pit-mix and I was a bit intimidated by him at first. The Director of the rescue agency said she had zero hesitation about giving him to family but that he just needed LOTS of exercise (she wasn't kidding). He literally picked us and made it impossible to leave there without him. When I got him to the SUV, we put him in the back while I built the crate that we had just bought. I finished building it and tried to pull him out so I could put the crate in. He splayed all 4 legs and refused to get out because he must've thought that he was being returned to the shelter...it was sweet and sad at the same time. Finally we got him in the crate and he settled in for the ride home. He finally had a family and a home.

Fast forward over 4 years: this dog has been the nicest, most gentle, most playful and amazing dog we've had. He is high energy and loves to play and run but he is a massive cuddler and wants to sleep on or next to you once he's done playing. He loves the kids and they wrestle and play keep away with him all the time and I think he likes my wife best since she works from home. He doesn't let other dogs get him worked up, but can hold his own if one gets too aggressive. I was a bit skeptical about the Staffordshire breed but this guy has opened my eyes. What an athlete he is, the speed and agility are breathtaking. Life really hasn't been the same since he arrived...we feel lucky to have found him.

Great name, great dog and great family for taking him in!!

You’re a good guy for doing this!! What’s her name?

Cheers!

Her name is Des. I think it’s short for Desiree(?). But again, no paperwork for her. Lol at least she listens to that name.

Cheers!

Her name is Des. I think it’s short for Desiree(?). But again, no paperwork for her. Lol at least she listens to that name.

Nice: Check the DM that I sent you: thanks

Pinned.

096E2A82-261A-477F-A3AB-EB5548F72FD3.jpeg

08E75D49-46B5-402C-8F37-110A2EA363DD.jpegAnother Grand Prix Sunday with this old guy.

8EA841E0-AD02-430A-8889-DF7509713216.jpeg
Yogi has had a good day.

Sorry to hear that Munich77 : looked like a great friend for your family.

My Caddy Willie (real name William the Conqueror)

Willie the Caddy.JPG

Today is Kona's 2nd Birthday! Actually, when we adopted him the Rescue said he was born in December 2019, but didn't have the actual records, just what his original owners had said when they surrendered him. So we decided to pick the day, and the 10th is a day we can remember.

Happy Birthday Kona

Kona_10.jpg

Three of our kids got pups this summer. The Golden is 8 months and the Shepard and Doodle are 6. The retriever lives with us but the other two are around often because my wife watches them. Lots of fun:39F9A4E6-A7D5-4C52-ABCE-40820B5FACD6.jpeg23E85851-1850-4246-89F2-F39EC1C38324.jpeg717DE5B0-2D8B-4A34-B9A4-CAD0F4DE7B2F.jpeg

Back