If your dog has a history of not playing nicely with other dogs, your dog should REALLY ALWAYS BE ON A LEASH!!

Not knowing the dog and owner, I would agree 100% with your statement above. As an owner, it is your responsibility to control your pet. If you know they have a history of "Not playing well with others" then they should always be on a leash in public.

You have every right to be angry.

Not only is the dog a large dog, even without a history of aggression, the owner does not know other's experience with dogs. Some people have been traumatized by dogs and don't trust any dog. That he's aware of a previous negative history with his dog makes it 10 times worse.

Conflict is always uncomfortable but if you see the dog unleashed again, you should definitively say something.

Good luck~

Need your opinions pet owners of THP

The Setup: We live in a townhouse adjacent to some apartment buildings, with a shared parking lot for the entire complex. Townhouse=No yard, no fence = lots of walks for potty breaks. I usually walk the dogs around the parking lot and let them do their thing. (Cleaning up afterward because I’m not a heathen, but thats a different story). The entire complex is very pet friendly, so LOTS of dogs with mostly responsible pet owners, but there are a few......

This morning I’m walking the dogs, and cleaning up after One of the dogs. Bag it all up and head to the nearest trash can. The dogs are pretty wound up and eager to play in snow so I didn’t catch the change in their attitudes, but as we get near the trash can, from behind a car pops a big German Shepard. Pretty dog, no leash and he runs at my two dogs. I don’t know this dog, they don’t know this dog and he’s very suddenly in their faces. All three dogs were pretty chill about the whole thing and their his owner is not far behind him, he grabs him by the collar and pull his back and apologizes. No big deal, no injuries, no hackles raised. I’m annoyed because the dog should have been on a leash, it’s a city ordinance and there are signs all over, but whatever, no harm no foul, I’ll pay more attention...right up until he tells his dog “I don’t trust you around other dogs and you know why” as me and mine are walking off.

I’m pretty annoyed about the entire thing, I fully believe that if you’re not in a gated or controlled area your dog should be on a leash pretty much at all times. If your dog has a history of not playing nicely with other dogs, your dog should REALLY ALWAYS BE ON A LEASH!!

Am I crazy? Or is this a throat punching offense?

(I would obviously not assault a person for not leashing their pet, and would never encourage such behavior in others)

I can’t stand when people let their dogs off a leash. Around here hardly anyone leashes their dogs. Hell, most of them just let the dog roam and then you see them on Facebook later crying that it ran off or got hit by a car. Stop being lazy and take care of your pets.

FWIW, I’m in favor of the throat punch solution ?

I own a German Shepherd, live in the country, and have absolute confidence in my dog's obedience and good nature, but still keep him leashed on our walks. If nothing else it is for his safety, and my peace of mind. A lot of people get nervous around big dogs, why would anyone not be a good neighbor and keep their dog on a leash?

Glad to know I’m not crazy. I see it all the time here, even the best behaved dogs are still dogs. I’m not one that believes dogs will just go wild with no external influence, but a car backfiring or any number of things could cause a bad situation for the dog, the owner, other people. It’s one thing out in the country where there’s nil traffic and plenty of space, but in the city is another matter.

Glad to know I’m not crazy. I see it all the time here, even the best behaved dogs are still dogs. I’m not one that believes dogs will just go wild with no external influence, but a car backfiring or any number of things could cause a bad situation for the dog, the owner, other people. It’s one thing out in the country where there’s nil traffic and plenty of space, but in the city is another matter.
I live in a country area and you are right, dogs are still dogs. I have seen dogs do some things that no one would have ever imagined. Things can change in a second and people should respect others enough to leash a dog when needed. I had dogs that were well trained and yet, I would never allow them around people without a leash or necessary restraints.

On the bright side, the owner may not like that his dog plays too nicely with other dogs...

Fortunately, I live on a very secluded parcel so Whip runs free quite a lot but we're surrounded by hundreds of acres and commonly I may have his GPS collar on him.

When he's on his collar, he's a robot! He's so highly trained you'd be amazed to watch him. Two toots of the whistle and he comes flying in to me like he's on a string. One "WOAH" and he'll stand like a statue until he's released with a verbal command. When he's on point on a bird, I could go have a sandwich and he'll still be standing there when I get back. I've never had a dog like him. I wish I could show you all...people are always impressed~

@jbuck31 sorry to hear this, it happened to our family dog years ago when I was away @ college & it sucked.

@dazeedmonds of course your crazy on here aren't you.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: As to dog thing I agree. When I walk our dog when we get to the park I let him off leash IF no one is around, but if other people or dogs are around he's back on leash.

I have always let my dogs off the lead whenever possible.....but

1. They have always been socialized well as puppies and taught to play nicely.
2. I have always taken them to places where they are allowed off the lead and dogs have freedom to roam....so if another dog is frisky they can get away. Dogs are at their worst when they feel cornered with nowhere to go.
3. I have made sure they are commanded by tone of voice, a strong call in a deep voice usually gets them away from hassle.
4. I have always had placid dogs, labs,retrievers,setters, so more likely to lick you to death than bite.

The guy was wrong, I suggest you slip a flyer from a dog training school in his windshield where everyone can see it.

I have always let my dogs off the lead whenever possible.....but

1. They have always been socialized well as puppies and taught to play nicely.
2. I have always taken them to places where they are allowed off the lead and dogs have freedom to roam....so if another dog is frisky they can get away. Dogs are at their worst when they feel cornered with nowhere to go.
3. I have made sure they are commanded by tone of voice, a strong call in a deep voice usually gets them away from hassle.
4. I have always had placid dogs, labs,retrievers,setters, so more likely to lick you to death than bite.

The guy was wrong, I suggest you slip a flyer from a dog training school in his windshield where everyone can see it.

Yeah, there are places where it’s acceptable. Our dogs love the dog park and have a great time there, and they’re off leash there. Mine are pretty sociable, and get along with most dogs. They seemed not too worried about this dog, but a parking lot with no lead just seems like a bad idea. His dog was certainly not trained well enough, the dog ignored his owners commands to stop.

Charles the rescue dog doesn't like his new doughnut
First day wearing it. He looks so sad, haha

7ede25566c3a438f32e35934ba142088.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Look at that poor baby. I hope he feels better soon and gets to remove it.

Found out the wife applied to foster and we're going to start when we get back from Orlando next weekend. Going to be an adjustment having a dog in the house again.

Well when I was a pup, we had to wear cones!

...poor baby....hope he heals quick.

Well when I was a pup, we had to wear cones!

...poor baby....hope he heals quick.
he is the most loving dog today... hoping someone will remove it.:D
He is licking his one leg until its raw and vet gave us this for now.

He is all happy its off, but hes on his way to the vet again.

Last edited:
he is the most loving dog today... hoping someone will remove it.:D
He is licking his one leg until its raw and vet gave us this for now.

He is all happy its off, but hes on his way to the vet again.

That looks like it's way better than knocking around with a cone around the neck. When Whip had a surgery as a pup, we were able to put a t-shirt on him and he left his shoulder alone. It worked great.

I had to have an older dog put to sleep yesterday so that was plenty sad but it was time.
The problem now is one of my rescue dogs is kinda lost, she grew up alone so had become accustomed to having the other 2 dogs around. She searched and searched last night and would just go to her kennel and stay they (very unusual for her). She ate her food this morning so at least that is a good sign. We still have one other rescue and they are buddies so hopefully it helps her.
Pets can show emotion and feel the loss of their pack mates. :cry:

I had to have an older dog put to sleep yesterday so that was plenty sad but it was time.
The problem now is one of my rescue dogs is kinda lost, she grew up alone so had become accustomed to having the other 2 dogs around. She searched and searched last night and would just go to her kennel and stay they (very unusual for her). She ate her food this morning so at least that is a good sign. We still have one other rescue and they are buddies so hopefully it helps her.

Sorry to hear that. And yes they can. That can be especially hard because there’s nothing you can do to make them understand or communicate with them

Always a sad day. Not much else to say.

Sorry for your loss. So hard. The emotional bonds they make with us and other dogs are extraordinary.

Sorry to hear that you had to do this. They certainly can show emotions, hopefully with the help of your other dog, the impact won't be too bad for her.

Toughest thing about being a dog owner is when that time comes.

Another pic of by best buddy Kai, our February weather has been incredible, so we've been getting out for some nice walks after work.

Kai 2-26-20.jpg

Back