The Photography Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Its time for a new thread since the other one was from so long ago. Use this thread for all photography conversations. Whether that be gear or pictures.

Made the switch from Nikon to Canon because I just fell in love with the 70D. FWIW, I did so almost strictly because it shoots better video than just about every other DSLR out there right now. It still shoots solid stills too. But the video separated it from the D7100 from Nikon, which is also awesome, however if I was going that route, I would have just gone to a D7000 from a few years back because its awesome in low light too.

See, I've contemplated moving to the D7000 recently, but I love taking photos, the video isn't a biggie to me, but having looked around I can def see why you went with the Canon. I've got so many lenses it would be hard to go away from Nikon.

• Admin
See, I've contemplated moving to the D7000 recently, but I love taking photos, the video isn't a biggie to me, but having looked around I can def see why you went with the Canon. I've got so many lenses it would be hard to go away from Nikon.

That Nikon is impressive when I tested it out.

I have a fancy hassenblatt in my closet. It's weird in the fact it has the huge lens and takes wide photographs? I have no idea what I'm talking about as my father gave it to me years ago.

I have a Camera T2i that I have taken some great pictures with. Need to get a good flash for it though.

• Admin
I have a Camera T2i that I have taken some great pictures with. Need to get a good flash for it though.

That T2i is a solid camera for that size. It reminds me of the Nikon D40s we use to shoot with. Just so comfortable in the hand.

That T2i is a solid camera for that size. It reminds me of the Nikon D40s we use to shoot with. Just so comfortable in the hand.

My wife likes taking pictures and i want to get her something. Any suggestions? Relatively compact would be ideal.

Exactly why it's the one we went with - really good mobility and very versatile. Good for outdoor shooting but will be great for when we have kids.

Any flash recommendations? We have been eyeing up one of the Canon Speedlites but can't decide between the 270, 320 or 430.

Still love my Polaroid SX-70 :).

My wife likes taking pictures and i want to get her something. Any suggestions? Relatively compact would be ideal.

Point and shoot style? Or large like DSLR? I might be able to help you with this one. Not using our Nikon V1 system anymore and its really solid.

Exactly why it's the one we went with - really good mobility and very versatile. Good for outdoor shooting but will be great for when we have kids.

Any flash recommendations? We have been eyeing up one of the Canon Speedlites but can't decide between the 270, 320 or 430.

Im newer to Canon so wouldnt know as of yet. Although like the built in on the 70D quite a bit. For our equipment shoots, we have studio lights.

My favorite photo I've ever taken has to be this one

IMG_1681.JPG

Also liked playing around with exposure/shutter to do some Light-writing

575677_10100604371411754_1454449388_n.jpg

Still shooting with my old D200. Such a solid camera, even at a severely outdated 10.2 megapixels.

Still shooting with my old D200. Such a solid camera, even at a severely outdated 10.2 megapixels.

That was my first DLSR. That thing was so solid. Took great photos too with the right glass.

Point and shoot style? Or large like DSLR? I might be able to help you with this one. Not using our Nikon V1 system anymore and its really solid.

Im newer to Canon so wouldnt know as of yet. Although like the built in on the 70D quite a bit. For our equipment shoots, we have studio lights.

I'm clueless bro I don't know what any of that means.

Point ands shoot is pretty self explanatory but otherwise i am lost.

Do you want to get her something with interchangeable lenses, or something more standard that she could keep in her purse?

Something she can tote around ina small bag. Something you can sling over your shoulder without needing a backpack.

Back in the day when I was on the Yearbook Staff in high school, we had a couple of very awesome Canon Rebel's with different lenses that I use to LOVE using. Now, I don't have a camera outside of my phone. It's not the same, but with a 15mp camera on my phone, it does a VERY good job.

My wife uses a Cannon Rebel EOS T3, she's a pro with the setting and takes some really awesome pictures. I dabbled with it a bit, but I don't take enough pictures to want to learn all the ins and outs.

I don't need interchangeable lenses.

I would take a look at the Panasonic Lumix range. Probably one of the best point and shoot cameras out there. Fantastic image quaility and incredible optical zoom.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/cameras-and-camcorders-lumix-digital-cameras-point-shoot-models

The DMCZS40K is probably the best compact point and shoot out there

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-ZS40K

While the DMCFZ200K will offer you something closer to a full DSLR without having to worry about interchangeable lenses

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-FZ200K

I purchased a Canon T3 last summer for my first entry-level DSLR camera as I wanted to start taking photos and really haven't had enough time to play around with it.

Any tips/trips to start taking good quality photos? Do you all set the mode to auto or do you adjust manually per picture?

Something she can tote around ina small bag. Something you can sling over your shoulder without needing a backpack.

I got ya covered brother. Let me see what we have from it. Its the Nikon V1. Its a great mirrorless system camera. Can be used advanced, but can also be just point and shoot.

I purchased a Canon T3 last summer for my first entry-level DSLR camera as I wanted to start taking photos and really haven't had enough time to play around with it.

Any tips/trips to start taking good quality photos? Do you all set the mode to auto or do you adjust manually per picture?

Im a manual shooter, but most DSLR options offer a good mix of manual and auto. Im not a fan of just setting it in Auto and letting it do its thing, but many get great shots that way.

My favorite photo I've ever taken has to be this one

IMG_1681.JPG

Also liked playing around with exposure/shutter to do some Light-writing

575677_10100604371411754_1454449388_n.jpg

That's an awesome photo, looks a lot like my dog.

Back