The Photography Thread

Not sure what you're using now, but we just went to the Sony A7ii, mirrorless, and really like it so far. We're still going through pics from our last trip (the first one we took this on), so I'll see if I can find one or two to post.

That is a fantastic machine.

We've been very pleased thus far.

We've been very pleased thus far.

We use multiple a6500s and love them. Went that way for size over the a7, but otherwise that a7 is the better machine. Their entire “a” line is just awesome.

Here’s a few shots from our recent trip to Scotland, with the Sony. Picked these mainly because of the colors. We haven't done any processing on these yet.

St Andrews Cathedral

d772ca401e171f3f41727ce7d55e607e.jpg

Castle Inveraray

b922fe28a3f32d5ec2025bace02f89de.jpg

The Quiraing, Isle of Skye

0b60abf57b8cc7af36a8257fc5cbb57e.jpg

Old Jacobite railway bridge (Harry Potter fans should recognize this)

e50d45f0bcfca36babd275e6633c2016.jpg

If you watch Outlander, you’ll recognize this as Lollybrach. Actually known as Midhope Castle

08ae7c9dc3891c7002d21ed0230352de.jpg

The battery door broke and is somehow missing on my old Nikon digital SLR camera so I’m thinking about picking up a D5600 with 2 lenses at Costco for $699. I already have a fixed 50mm 1.8 lens, a fisheye lens, and a Nikkor 18-200mm VR DX lens. I’ll likely get the old D80 fixed and leave it at our lake home with one or both of the lenses that come with the 5600 package. Any opinions on the D5600 from any of you photography fans?

The battery door broke and is somehow missing on my old Nikon digital SLR camera so I’m thinking about picking up a D5600 with 2 lenses at Costco for $699. I already have a fixed 50mm 1.8 lens, a fisheye lens, and a Nikkor 18-200mm VR DX lens. I’ll likely get the old D80 fixed and leave it at our lake home with one or both of the lenses that come with the 5600 package. Any opinions on the D5600 from any of you photography fans?
Can't help out with the D5600. I do have the d7500 just recently upgraded from a d7000 and it's a beast in low light. I was browsing the fredmiranda buy/sell and saw a D5600 in supposedly great condition for $300 body only... Might be some deals there for D7500 at $700

I had the d5000 awhile back and loved it. Then upgraded to a d7100 and d750. Depending on your price point, I’d look at places like cameta.com. Bough refurbished through them and had only a few shutter clicks on it and is still going strong. They get their refurbs through Nikon and any repairs go back through Nikon since they’re right down the road from them. They’re great to work with too and have some great deals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anyone looking to get the osmo pocket ?

anyone looking to get the osmo pocket ?

It looks cool, but the problem with super small cameras is that they promote unnatural movement. It just doesn't look right. About 8-9 years ago when digital cinema cameras began to shrink, we ran into this problem, and quickly built them back up to a proper size using aks. Most of the manufacturers took notice and produced cameras at a reasonable size (except Red, but no one considers them a serious contender.)

It looks cool, but the problem with super small cameras is that they promote unnatural movement. It just doesn't look right. About 8-9 years ago when digital cinema cameras began to shrink, we ran into this problem, and quickly built them back up to a proper size using aks. Most of the manufacturers took notice and produced cameras at a reasonable size (except Red, but no one considers them a serious contender.)

You mean the jelly shutter effect when videoing? Wasn't that due to the sensor in the beginning stages?

If you look at the video camera for professional work now, most of them use apsc or full frame minimum. If cine work, I believe red and arri is a popular choice among film makers.

Osmo pocket is kinda for vlogging and capturing the candid moments of love ones better than the phone.

All different target markets.

You mean the jelly shutter effect when videoing? Wasn't that due to the sensor in the beginning stages?

If you look at the video camera for professional work now, most of them use apsc or full frame minimum. If cine work, I believe red and arri is a popular choice among film makers.

Osmo pocket is kinda for vlogging and capturing the candid moments of love ones better than the phone.

All different target markets.

No, I mean unnatural movement in regards to how the camera operators moves the frame. I'm speaking from a professional standpoint.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

No, I mean unnatural movement in regards to how the camera operators moves the frame. I'm speaking from a professional standpoint.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

Ah ok. Now I understand what you mean.

Wandering aimlessly around Brussels early this morning with my X100F. Still think this is the best travel camera in the world.

46561667542_79800a9c3b_b.jpg

Great shot, Peter. I loved Brussels.

Wandering aimlessly around Brussels early this morning with my X100F. Still think this is the best travel camera in the world.

Yes it is one of the best compact cameras for travel.

Any Fuji X series is a great choice. I love my X100s.

Alright. 100% upgrade time with the ole camera.

Thoughts on going mirrorless? I definitely want, well, NEED, something that can shoot some HD video as well as that would be more useful in reviews and such in the future I think....but....it will be predominantly for product photography.

Thoughts?

@JB

Im firmly in the mirrorless camp right now. I think the images are as good, I love the electronic viewfinder and I love the size. Glass has always been the killer, but its not really anymore.
If you are searching for video, Sony has the best autofocus and its not really close. One note there is their less expensive lenses perform in certain areas. We love the 50mm f1.8 and the 18-105 f4. Have a few others too.

Nikon and Canon have both re-entered and Canon appears to be going all in soon. Right now though, their AF is just not as good as Sony overall.

Alright. 100% upgrade time with the ole camera.

Thoughts on going mirrorless? I definitely want, well, NEED, something that can shoot some HD video as well as that would be more useful in reviews and such in the future I think....but....it will be predominantly for product photography.

Thoughts?

@JB
The new Fuji GFX 50R is incredible. Especially for product photography. It's hard to read medium format, and add mirrorless to the mix and you're golden.

posted from somewhere in the world on my phone

The new Fuji GFX 50R is incredible. Especially for product photography. It's hard to read medium format, and add mirrorless to the mix and you're golden.

Have Fuji upgraded their video quality though in mirrorless? Haven't really done much research into the market for the past 3-4 years, but i know previously though their mirrorless photo quality was always great, video was shite.

Im firmly in the mirrorless camp right now. I think the images are as good, I love the electronic viewfinder and I love the size. Glass has always been the killer, but its not really anymore.
If you are searching for video, Sony has the best autofocus and its not really close. One note there is their less expensive lenses perform in certain areas. We love the 50mm f1.8 and the 18-105 f4. Have a few others too.

Nikon and Canon have both re-entered and Canon appears to be going all in soon. Right now though, their AF is just not as good as Sony overall.

Thanks guys! Looks like I have some massive research to do.

Have Fuji upgraded their video quality though in mirrorless? Haven't really done much research into the market for the past 3-4 years, but i know previously though their mirrorless photo quality was always great, video was shite.
I do not know. I generally dont shoot video with cameras that also shoot stills. Unless Im taking clips of my kid with my phone, I've never really had the need.

I do not know. I generally dont shoot video with cameras that also shoot stills. Unless Im taking clips of my kid with my phone, I've never really had the need.

Same here, which is why I was curious.

I think it's hard not to go Sony in the mirrorless market when looking for a camera to do it all.

I think it's hard not to go Sony in the mirrorless market when looking for a camera to do it all.
Probably, but for studio work it's tough to beat medium format. I don't think Sony makes one.

I tested the recent Fuji a lot. Takes great images, and the video quality is decent, but the AF is troublesome to say the least.
Plus the video has a softness to it in 4K that is not loved.

Back