The Pizza Thread- toppings, places, crust.

Have you tried Cappy's in South Tampa. Not sure if still around but very solid back in late 2000s.

Haven’t heard about Cappy’s.

Favorite place is Sammy's Pizza. Specifically the location in Superior, WI.
This one has since closed due to covid but there are other family run locations in WI and MN.

Thin, crispy crust. Square cut, of course.

Toppings are all good but their Italian sausage is the best I've had.

View attachment 9083656
This is a throwback. We used to get this after church sometimes - not the Superior one, but in Duluth, MN there was one.

Square cut pizza is simply the best - Gosh I miss that place.

This is the current best pizza in my area:

Order Online | Pasquale's Neighborhood Pizzeria (square.site)

Delicious pizza, plenty of variety and most importantly they give back a lot to the community. Free pizza slice for kids when school's were out, dropping off full pizza's for hospital floors for patients and families to eat - that kind of stuff.

Great tasting food and wonderful service each time.

This is a throwback. We used to get this after church sometimes - not the Superior one, but in Duluth, MN there was one.

Square cut pizza is simply the best - Gosh I miss that place.
They ship frozen pizzas. 10 at a time.

Toppings:
Sausage (spicy Italian)
Onions
Black & green olives
No tomato sauce

Place:
New Albanian in New Albany, IN

Crust:
Detroit Style Pan

Stuffed crust and as many meats and veggie toppings as they can pile on!

Mozzarella's two blocks from my house for take out. Family owned, thin crust, flavorful sauce with pepperoni, black olives and extra cheese.
Toffino's - Market Common same as above, but never during tourist season - always packed and a long wait.
R-Way in Pawley's Island. New discovery - same thin curst, sauce could use a little something extra. HUGE pizza by the slice. Tuesday nights is Jukebox trivia - fun time. Right now they don't open until 3pm during the week but open at 11 on weekends.

Meatball and/or sausage are my go to. Fresh mozz is the best. There’s a create your own NY style place I go to and I do vodka sauce, meatball, fresh mozz and spinach. It’s unmatched. Then for a traditional pizza there’s a few local spots that have a good meatball pizza

I am a savage. Ham or bacon, pineapple and hot chile flakes.

I've also been known to indulge in anchovie, artichoke and olive.

Both with a "normal" crust, not too thin and not too thick.

I know it's an acquired taste and I'm a heathen, but I don't care.

Last edited:
I can't have a favorite topping, depends on mood and where I'm getting pizza from.

If it's Marco's (only place to eat by my house) then it's their Chicken Fresco (chicken, bacon, tomato, onions)

We had homemade pizza saturday and were doing traditional Italian (cheese, sauce, basil) and all the way up to sausage, pepperoni, jalepeno,

Godfathers All meat is amazing.

that's the place where i had my first and only chicago style deep dish pizza. can't see myself ever having it again.

I'm usually not a deep dish fan but the few times we went to a Pequods, I just loved theirs!

That sounds like a memory from childhood trips to Pizza hut!!!

I can count on one hand how many times we went there growing up. IF we had pizza, it was always a family run joint.

I like a good Detroit Style once in a while but my preference is thin crust or even New York style. I like to fold my pizza and eat it or have it thin and crispy. As far as toppings I could have only cheese or everything as long as no anchovies.

Making it at home, I prefer thin crust, italian sausage, sautéed mushrooms, green onions, smoked mozzarella - red or white sauce, parmesan on top

On the road, Cane Rosso in Dallas makes a Honey Bastard Pizza with a thin crust, Spicy Soprasetta, Bacon Jam, Mozzarella, White sauce, some basil, and after coming out of the 900f oven, a sprinkling of spicy honey around the edges of the crust ... serve it with a medium dark beer.

Go to pizza topping is light pepperoni, but only on two slices. You want to get a taste, but not override the flavor of the plain pizza.

Best place that I like to go to is called Vince's Pizza. It's about an hour from my house and I try to drive down one every other month at least to get a few pies. Was near the area last Friday, so ate dinner there and then brought pizza home for another round on Saturday.

I am a thin crust man, but having a solid deep dish from Chicago isn't a bad choice if done correctly.

Pizza King in Longview Tx is great. Thin crust pepperoni, meat lovers, Hawaiian with jalapenos to spice it up.

Ill eat any pizza with any topping minus anchovies. I have easily 10+ shops withing 15 minutes of me. Have a few new wood fire places that are very good and the dough and crust is delicious

that's the place where i had my first and only chicago style deep dish pizza. can't see myself ever having it again.
Pequod's is certainly different than a lot of the Chicago style you find out there. The crust is love it or hate it. It was always a good spot for a date haha.

Back